A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,192
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: felted scarf  (Read 1925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nutmegh
« on: March 26, 2004 01:32:15 PM »

i have a beautiful scarf that i accidently felted by throwing in the wash (and dryer!) with my laundry.  so now, it's all shrunken and impossible to wear.

any ideas on what i could do with it?  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004 01:47:06 PM »

Do you sew?  If you do, think of it as a piece of fabric.  You can cut it and sew it into whatever you'd like.  If you have a sewing machine, use a fairly wide, dense zigzag to seam the pieces edge to edge.  

There's a pattern for making mittens like this (but with a hand blanket stitched edge) here:

http://www.earthheartdesigns.com/Earth%20Heart%20pages/Patterns/All%20Patterns/sewn_mittens.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004 08:16:49 AM »

What are the dimensions and the type of wool you used.

If it's wide enough and the dimensions are appropriate, my idea is a two or three compartment purse. You may have to cut som of the end off.  

The construction would basically be an "s" or "Z"  for a two compartment purse. I don't know if this description makes sense, but you could fold it in thirds, and the middle stroke of the Z would separate the compartments.  The top and bottom of the Z would be the sides of the purse.  So if you squish down a Z, you would have three parallel lines, and that would be the top of your purse.

You would need to stitch the sides and bottom with an appropriate thread or yarn, and add a handle or strap.

If you're interested in the idea, but don't understand the comparison to the letter Z, I might be able to make a quick sketch at work to explain it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moderatelyso

Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004 08:36:34 AM »

Well, depending on how long it is...see, my mom knitted my friend a scarf and overestimated how far the yarn would go, and it ended up about 2 feet long, maybe a little less.  So, she found a big funky silver button and sewed it onto one end...now it's more of a collar, and you can adjust how tight it is around your neck.  Very handy, and very cute, even with t-shirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I dare say you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.  "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day.  Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
getinmumouthstuff

get in my mouth!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004 08:01:57 PM »

I didn't check out the links for sewing, but you can fold it in thirds (well, nearly thirds--two equal sides and the third not quite as long) and sew up the sides of the two equal, longer sides.  You wouldn't even need a sewing machine.  The third section is the flap lid

If the scarf is too long for this, I've got ideas, but have never tried them.  hmm.

Felt again in the wash machine and then add buttons, applique, etc. You can get fancy and sew in a lining or just add something fun for the strap(s).

It's as easy/hard as you make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004 05:04:49 AM »

I think (not sure) that there was a felted scarf in the last issue of "Budget Living" that was super cute. You could pick up some wool sweaters at Goodwill (or knit and felt some squares yourself) to finish the scarf.

Good luck!
Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Heated Rollers
How to Cut Your Own Fringe
How to Dry Your Hair
How to Style Naturally Curly Hair
Hairdressing Essentials Conditioner
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...