A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Vs. Crochet: which would you recommend?  (Read 13189 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

XOcrazy4uXO
« on: July 05, 2005 08:42:33 AM »

I've recently been interested in both knitting and crochet and want to learn how to do one. This is a crochet board so most of you might recommend crochet...
*which would you recommend for a beginner?
*what did you use to learn how?

thanks so much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

westcoastchica
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005 03:45:28 PM »

Well, I do both, so I'd say learn both  Grin

I suppose it depends on what you think you want to make. If you want to make sweaters and other garments, I'd suggest knitting because knitted fabric usually looks better when worn (generalization/personal opinion here). If you want to mostly make toys, hats, or other odd-shaped items, then crochet might be a better place to start.

I learned how to knit and crochet from a Readers Digest "Encyclopedia of Needlecraft", it's old, but it has pretty good how-tos on knitting, crochet, quilting, embroidery, macrame... it was in my mum's closet, but I've seen copies in thrift stores. It doesn't have any particularly interesting patterns in it, but it does have lots of illustrations of the basic stitches and techniques. There are similar things at Chapters or whatever, I can't remember any names offhand. (I also learned a lot about knitting from Debbie Stoller's Stitch n Bitch, I don't know of a crochet equivalent).

There are also quite a lot of beginner's knit or crochet kits, usually at craft stores and the like. I've heard fairly good things about them, so that might be an idea too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005 05:20:01 PM »

Her book will be coming out later in the year.  From my understanding, it should be in time for Christmas. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005 05:32:46 PM »

I have not so much a recomendation as a few thoughts to ponder.

Generally, knit fabric is less bulky than crochet fabric.

An  item done in solid crochet requires more yarn than the same size item done in solid knit.

One nice thing about knowing how to crochet and knit  is that you can add little crochet details to your knit items.

My story:
My grandmother started to teach me to knit and must have decided that sharp pointy sticks and a 5-year-old were not a great starter combination.  So, she switched over to teaching me crochet.  First, she showed me what to do using my fingers (really loose work with a cord).  Then, I advanced to a hook.  Once I'd gotten some motor skills tuned, I was able to return to knitting without too much difficulty.  So, for me, crocheting helped my knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
ginaj
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005 08:59:38 AM »

i have been crocheting since i was about 7.i have started to teach myself to knit.i find it harder,but i love the knit sweaters.not so much the crochet ones.but i find alot more great patterns for crochet,doilies,toys,ect.have fun learning
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005 02:43:53 PM »

I taught myself how to crochet 3 years ago, and this past.. I dont know, february or so, I decided I'd learn how to knit, as well. I wanted to knit because I thought I was absolutely no good at crochet. Well, learning to knit completely reaffirmed my love of crochet. I realized just how much I was able to do with it.

That's my little rant about crochet. But my two cents: learn both. It's only then that you'll figure out which is best for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005 02:51:00 PM »

I agree.  I learned both when I was little and stuck with crochet.  My hands couldn't hold knitting needles.  I took it up again when I bought the SNB book and loved it.  My eyes were glazed over with excitement, but then I was back to crocheting. 

Learn both because you'll have a better understanding of how to create more things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fancypantsayla
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005 03:04:59 PM »

To be honest, and hopefully not attract an angry mob of crocheters, I have to say that I find knitting much more aesthetically pleasing than crocheting.  Basic crochet skills are great to have, as crocheted details and trims are often called for and can be really sweet looking.  Overall though, I think knit fabric is more versatile and satisfying, and the prodcuts you create have a nicer, smoother look.  Plus, it is easy to learn but offers continual opportunities for improvement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005 03:09:47 PM »

I learned how to knit and crochet from a Readers Digest "Encyclopedia of Needlecraft", it's old, but it has pretty good how-tos on knitting, crochet, quilting, embroidery, macrame... it was in my mum's closet, but I've seen copies in thrift stores.

oh my god . ihave that book too! (it's my moms hhaha.) i thought no  one had ever had it before. AWESOME!

i am trying to learn how to crochet, but personally, i think knitting is easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005 09:21:16 PM »

I learned how to knit and crochet from a Readers Digest "Encyclopedia of Needlecraft", it's old, but it has pretty good how-tos on knitting, crochet, quilting, embroidery, macrame... it was in my mum's closet, but I've seen copies in thrift stores.

oh my god . ihave that book too! (it's my moms hhaha.) i thought no one had ever had it before. AWESOME!

i am trying to learn how to crochet, but personally, i think knitting is easier.

not to go off topic, but I totally love that your screen name is spoonerism
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Best Nail-Polish "Cocktails & Coconuts"
How To Fix Dry Mascara
Best Beauty Products For Under $15
Expert Shares Quick Fixes For Common Fashion Emergencies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...