A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Vs. Crochet: which would you recommend?  (Read 13049 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Crafty_Girl25
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2005 08:33:21 AM »

I crochet but I don't knit. I have tried to learn it many times but it just doesn't seem "click". Anypointers?? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littledoe
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005 08:35:09 AM »

I've tried to learn to knit and gave up. It felt too complicated and overwhelming to me.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~Otherside27~
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2005 08:35:24 AM »

http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/
best site ever. I knit (learned off the site  Wink coz I wanted to attempt one of their free patterns) but I can't for the life of me figure out crochet! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005 08:39:20 AM »

I both crochet and knit, and also occasionally teach knitting lessons. I've noticed that crocheters pick up continental style knitting (where the yarn is held in your left hand, and the needle "grabs" the yarn) because they are used to manipulating the yarn that way.  knittinghelp.com has really great instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
nicolethegeek
I have terminal EAS!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2005 08:50:12 AM »

Up until 2 years ago that's what I could say. Put any crochet pattern, any hook, any yarn or thread in front of me and I can do it. Put a pair of needles and a ball of yarn in front of me and all you would get is a big mess! My incentive to start knitting was a cute knit {!!!} baby afghan kit that my DH bought me while I was on bed rest when pregnant with our youngest. Who would be able to tell a thoughtful hubby, "no, I'm not doing this" in a case like that? He wanted to cheer me up, give me something new to do, encourage my hobby/obsession with yarn, and picked out something totally adorable for our miracle baby.

I got my knitting help from a few sources. I already had the C&C booklet "Learn How" and it had knitting instructions in there. I picked up the C&C booklet devoted to knitting "Learn How to Knit", and did most of my online research at stitchguide.com. I have recently discovered knittinghelp.com as well. My best friend knits, but she lives 2000 km away, so we had many frustrating conversations while I tried to explain to her what I was doing, and her trying to figure out what I *was* doing!!! The last thing I did was create a group on YahooGroups that didn't look down on new knitters {which has since expanded into not looking down on anyone new/old at ANYTHING}, so that I could ask questions like "how do I do a yarn over?" {nearly the knitting equivalent of how do I do a chain stitch?} without bein laughed at or totally ignored.

HTH... just my experience. Any more questions, just holler!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May all your projects be frog-less, and all your patterns error-free!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro: http://www.geocities.com/nicolethegeek
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}: http://nicolethegeek.blogspot.com/
nicolethegeek
I have terminal EAS!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2005 08:53:07 AM »

I've noticed that crocheters pick up continental style knitting

Yes! That's one thing I didn't mention in my post. I knit continental because my right hand just doesn't know "how" to hold yarn... it's only for holding stitches! *LOL* Grin

Editted to add: For my first projects all I did was dishcloths. It was an easy way to learn how to cast on, knit, purl, cast off, pattern reading, etc. while making something small and useful. It was also a way to compensate for my perfectionist tendencies, since it was "just" a dishcloth, and if I hated it that much, I could use it for scrubbing floors or something where I'd wear it out quickly!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005 08:57:08 AM by nicolethegeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carleigh
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2005 08:54:43 AM »

I used to only crochet, but now I knit too, adn yes, i knit continental! I had a lot of trouble learning. I tried to teach my self, and got all frustrated and gave up. Then, like a year later, after getting fed up about all the pretty knitted things, I just grabbed my old needles and some spare yarn and tried to knit, and came up with a teensy little swatch, not even two inches wide. And then it was just like "Kniting knitting I love knitting!!!!" I have found that it has been easier for to pick up knitting than it was to pick up crochet, and I find a lot of the patterns all easier to understand than crochet patterns. It turns out that although at first the idea of having all the stiches on the needle at first was daunting, I actually prefer it that way! I would suggest the book "Chunky Knits", because it has nice big photos and easy projects. and kids books rock too! I made my first project form "Chunky Knits" and my second project from "Kids Easy Knitting Projects," which, though lacking in good diagrams, has a lot of easy cute projects and good instructions for each project.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Crafty_Girl25
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005 09:49:27 AM »

Thanks! this really inspires me to try to knit! And also thank you to all of you who suggested continental knitting it sounds easier. Maybe I'll go to the library today and pick up a few books. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolethegeek
I have terminal EAS!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2005 10:13:21 AM »

Thanks! this really inspires me to try to knit! And also thank you to all of you who suggested continental knitting it sounds easier. Maybe I'll go to the library today and pick up a few books. Grin

Well be sure to keep us posted on your progress! If you decide to watch the videos at Stitchguide, ignore what the fingers are doing with the yarn, just watch what the yarn does in relation to the needles... does that make sense? I haven't viewed them yet, but I've heard that there are continental videos for most stitches at knittinghelp.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eyes of summer

"We are all just prisoners here of our own device"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005 10:16:58 AM »

I learned how to crochet when i was 9, and i learned how to knit about a year later.  My grandmother taught me how to do both, and i found watching her was really helpful.  Definately try knittinghelp.com for instructions; they have videos that explain the different stitches.  You can stop them at one segment and replay the tricky parts over and over.  I'm currently trying to learn continental knitting, and the videos did a great job of explaining it to me.  Good luck with the knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some things in this world are invisible, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

my crafty blog: http://www.eyesofsummer.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Dosas with Lentils and Rice
How to Make Eel Sauce
How To Make Egg Drop Soup
How to Make a Banh Mi Sandwich
How to Make Chicken Biryani
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...