A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Vs. Crochet: which would you recommend?  (Read 13186 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lucy_Stardust
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2007 12:12:57 PM »

I have been crocheting since i was a little girl but i would like to learn how to knit someday.i just can't seem to get it. Nothing is more relaxing than to crochet an afghan and just chill out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mountain_waif
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2007 10:14:41 AM »

I am so comfortable crocheting that it is just right to me.  I have tried to knit, but I always end up going back to crocheting.  Just me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2007 11:27:50 AM »

It's not that I can't crochet and watch TV at the same time, it's that knitting requires less looking down than crochet (I guess because of the stitches all being on the needles already), so it works better for me. I watch a fair amount of anime, and I did find it hard--okay, almost impossible--to read subtitles while crocheting.

Like some of the previous posters, I learned Continental; I didn't even try English because it looked inefficient to me. I've heard other people say Continental comes more naturally to crocheters.

I thought that was a good point about it being easy to fix mistakes in crochet.

Re knitting and crochet being necessary, rather than a hobby, in the past: Grateful as I am to have inexpensive products readily available in the stores, every once in while I think maybe people would respect home knitting, crochet, and sewing more if they were still needed, if you couldn't just pop into any store and buy a cheap version of what you need. A kid probably appreciated Grandma's skills more if her crocheted hat was the only thing likely to stand between his head and the freezing cold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
sullengal

I can not stop creating. I pray I never will.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2007 09:43:51 PM »

OMG so silly!!!

A video about crochet vs. knitting!

http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=e2c19re6e1

Hope you enjoy!

~Sullengal

PS. I am both a knitter & crocheter, so these do not represent my personal views!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/sullengal
My Etsy Store - http://Omphalie.etsy.com
Ongoing Swaps :
New Moon Swap - Sent!
butterflykisses427
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2007 08:37:45 AM »

I learned how to crochet first. I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I also learned how to knit and found it incredibly frustrating. I do the basic knit stitch but my personal opinion is that I don't really like to knit.

Here are my reasons for why I like crochet better
1. Crochet, in my opinion, doesn't take my full attention. I can do it while watching tv or a movie. I am a multi tasker and knitting just took my full attention.

2. In crochet if you drop a stitch or mess up you can just pull the yarn out and start from where you messed up. You do that in knitting you have to start your whole project over again.

I'm a left hander too and I learned how to crochet from a right hander and still picked that up a lot quicker with a lot less frustration.

Just my two cents. My mom is a great knitter though and prefers knitting to croceht.

I agree with the other people who said that you should learn both and find out what you like best
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2007 09:15:44 AM »

I learnt to do crochet first - it's easier in the sense that there is only one hook, and because it works up much faster than knitting, it boosts the morale. I'd consider myself a beginner at crochet (can do foundation stitches and make flowers when needed) but an intermediate knitter.

My advice?

I find that if you see something that you must have you'll learn the craft, and bugger all to the obstacles in the way.

I wanted a Harry Potter scarf, so I learnt how to knit (I also wanted to stop eating so much in the winter! But that's another story).

Now that I've seen Teva Durham's 'loop de loop' for crochet, I've seen five things in there that are destined to be in my wardrobe. I'm sure that I'm going to be on this board crying like a baby for help, but... crafting is both joy and pain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lanyardgopoof
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2007 06:32:13 PM »

Well here's my origonal story:

My grandma taught me how to knit.

How many times have you heard that before? lol

Seriously, i did a few rows then i messed up.

I picked up crochet only beacause i wanted to try it. I've learned all needlework is connected and the more you know the more you can design.

I prefer crochet though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammimag
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2007 02:41:10 PM »

I like both.  I learn continental for knitting as well so knitting has been easy peasy so far for the most part.

I'm not sure I agree about crocheting using more yarn. If I am going to make a comparable project in drape project in crochet I will use a different stitch and will likely not take that much more yarn.  For example if a knit sweater called for knit I's do extend sc crochet or go up a hook size or too.  I've noticed to do some knitting projects I need more needles/tools than I do when making a crochet project. In crochet I just need the one hook.

I am still new to knitting.  So my issue with the tools could be that I am needle deprived.  I remember learning crochet I went out and bought lots of hooks so would have the right hook on hand when I needed it.

I am much slower knitting.  I find I need to look and my work no matter what.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2007 08:23:58 PM »

I'm not sure I agree about crocheting using more yarn. If I am going to make a comparable project in drape project in crochet I will use a different stitch and will likely not take that much more yarn.  For example if a knit sweater called for knit I's do extend sc crochet or go up a hook size or too.  I've noticed to do some knitting projects I need more needles/tools than I do when making a crochet project. In crochet I just need the one hook.

yeah, I honestly think that people exaggerate how much yarn crochet uses. it might be a third more if you're using the same mm size hook as you did for knitting, and the same yarn, but if you're going by drape I think it takes about an equal amount - I crocheted an airy mohair sweater and it used either about the same amount of yarn as the knitted version I found or maybe even a little less, go figure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
SabrinaJL
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2007 10:40:25 AM »

Here are my reasons for why I like crochet better
1. Crochet, in my opinion, doesn't take my full attention. I can do it while watching tv or a movie. I am a multi tasker and knitting just took my full attention.

2. In crochet if you drop a stitch or mess up you can just pull the yarn out and start from where you messed up. You do that in knitting you have to start your whole project over again.

Just wanted to say that these things aren't necessarily true.  I worked on this in a movie theater.  It's just like anything else.  Once you get familiar with it, it doesn't really require your total attention.  Unless it's a really complicated pattern.

And dropping a stitch does NOT mean you have to start all over again.  There are ways to fix mistakes in knitting (usually involves a crochet hook Cheesy). 

But I agree with what others said.  It's best to try both out and see what works for you.  Knitting is easiest for me, because that's what I learned first.  I'm REALLY trying to learn to crochet but am having such a hard time with it.  It's difficult to determine where the hook is supposed to go and I find crochet is harder on my hands. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips To A Healthy Glow In The Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
How to Get Catwalk-Inspired Autumn Glitter Makeup
How to Rock Vampy Dark Eyes and Lips Makeup
Gunmetal Eye Makeup Tutorial
Create the Ultimate Bubble Bath with This Easy Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...