A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making My First Bridal Gown  (Read 9356 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_dress , bridal , lace , silk , category_featured_project , craftster_best_of_2013  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katyisthebest
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013 04:25:05 AM »

Thank you so much for your comments everyone! I love hearing from you Smiley

Does the fabric have a pinkish iridescence to it? Some of the photos look as if it might, but lighting can do some odd things.

My photography/lighting is to blame. I would say that the lace is ivory and the silk dupion is a very very minutely more cream coloured shade of ivory. I do like the sound of that pink iridescence though. I need to find more brides to make dresses for and have a go at that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amelie
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013 09:21:18 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked

This. Rocks.

Absolutely amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
rebecnik
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013 02:44:51 PM »

I don't even know how to compliment you properly. Your work is so professional and amazing! I do have a couple questions. I don't plan on getting married for a couple years, but when I do, I plan on making absolutely as much as possible...includin g the dress. Where do you buy nice bridal fabric? Did you have a non-chain fabric store near you? And how much does that quality fabric run? Judging by the one you made here, I'm assuming that one was somewhere between $50-100 a yard. How much do you think you have to spend minimum for something decent? Now, I totally understand this would depend highly on location as well as our possibly-different ideas of what "decent" means. But in a rough estimate for bridal gown fabric, what would you say?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlitex7
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013 06:05:29 PM »

beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katyisthebest
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013 03:39:32 AM »

I don't even know how to compliment you properly. Your work is so professional and amazing! I do have a couple questions. I don't plan on getting married for a couple years, but when I do, I plan on making absolutely as much as possible...includin g the dress. Where do you buy nice bridal fabric? Did you have a non-chain fabric store near you? And how much does that quality fabric run? Judging by the one you made here, I'm assuming that one was somewhere between $50-100 a yard. How much do you think you have to spend minimum for something decent? Now, I totally understand this would depend highly on location as well as our possibly-different ideas of what "decent" means. But in a rough estimate for bridal gown fabric, what would you say?

Thank you!

I source my fabrics from a fabric market in London, UK. I love to work with silk especially for evening and bridal wear and they have an astounding selection of the highest quality silks there. I usually pay around 13-20 per metre for the self fabric depending on the fabric width, weave, colour etc. The silk lining is around 10-14 per metre. Lace similar to the one that I used could cost anything between 75 to 140 per metre. I find that chain stores don't have anywhere near as much choice and come with a much bigger price tag so I'd agree that non-chain stores or a high quality market would be your best option if you can find one. Good luck with the dress! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LauraM
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013 08:02:40 AM »

Well done! I've shot nearly 100 weddings as a photographer, and my first job was in a bridal salon, so I've seen hundreds of these dresses in person and I can tell from the photos how well this is made. Absolutely brilliant. I just hope you're charging accordingly for the time and skill going into this! Wow!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open for personal swaps! | http://pinterest.com/lmillerphotos/ | Ongoing ATC Swap - Crafting & Sending

If there was a patch for ATC addiction, I would probably try to decorate it and mail it to someone.
katara
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013 09:00:44 AM »

The dress looks stunning and it fits the bride like a glove! Excellent job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThePenguinTheory
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013 01:30:41 PM »

Wow! That's amazing! Absolutely beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cute and Quirky Handmade Items!

Etsy
Blog
Facebook
Pinterest
rebecnik
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013 05:51:15 PM »

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply! That is very helpful information!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
inkpoppy
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013 11:13:37 AM »

I am always in awe of people who have such skill in creating clothing. I know a wedding gown must be such a massive project to tackle and execute beautifully, and that is exactly what you did here. This is absolutely stunning.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Secret Bosses in the Destiny Beta
CGRundertow THE BLACK EYED PEAS EXPERIENCE for Xbox 360 Video Game Review
CGRundertow GOLDENEYE 007: RELOADED for Xbox 360 Video Game Review
CGRundertow PUSS IN BOOTS for Xbox 360 Video Game Review
CGRundertow SPIDER-MAN: EDGE OF TIME for Xbox 360 Video Game Review
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...