A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knuckle/Joint pain from crocheting?  (Read 1219 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Willowe
« on: March 03, 2013 09:52:20 PM »

I tend to crochet WAY too much, especially since its my only source of income right now. Which has never been a problem, except recently I've noticed the knuckles on my right hand (the hand I hold my hook with) are starting to get very sore while I'm crocheting, to the point where it's almost painful to move them at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with knuckle pain? I've found a lot of tips for dealing with wrists and necks and even thumbs, but not a lot for knuckles. Someone suggested massaging them but that's just awkward and doesn't seem to work that well. Another person suggested trying those crocheting fingerless gloves designed to reduce hand problems, but I'd rather not shell out the money if its not going to help. Is there any way to prevent the pain, besides just taking more frequent breaks while crocheting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
     -None Smiley

My Etsy
My Pinterest
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013 08:12:42 AM »

I find cushioned crochet hooks help (you can buy them or make a cushion for the handle), it means you aren't gripping as tightly. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Thickheaded crochet guy
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013 03:50:05 AM »

Wrap your hook handle in duct tape until it's bigger and easy to hold, then wrap in fabric to help with the stickiness so it doesn't stick on your hand.  That's what I do to help with the pain (I have very large hands).  Hope it helps and good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Willowe
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013 12:39:03 PM »

Thanks for the advice! I'll be trying a cushioned handle and the duct tape/fabric method to see which helps. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
     -None Smiley

My Etsy
My Pinterest
tia mia
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013 04:42:11 AM »

You are definitely not alone. I am now suffering from a repetitive stress injury to my wrist and thumb on my left hand due to over-crocheting. In fact, ganglion cysts have developed on both of my wrists and they are very painful.
If only I had known the dangers of crocheting for extended periods of time without taking breaks or massaging your hands!
Since my injury, I have done quite a bit of research on the internet and have come across several websites with recommendations on how to prevent injury due to crocheting. Here are several helpful links:                       http://amber35.hubpages.com/hub/Dont-Injure-Your-Wrists-While-Crocheting                                                                                           http://www.lionbrand.com/6030/PictPage/1922238686.html                        http://knitfreedom.com/being-a-knitter/top-5-stretches-for-knitting-pain-relief                                                                                       
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crock Pot Pork Roast Tenderloin and Gravy Recipe
Easy and Elegant Benedictine Finger Sandwiches Recipe
Sunday Morning Sausage Gravy Recipe
Crispy Bacon Topped Baked Beans Recipe
Extra Sloppy Joe Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...