A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 1819(corset only)  (Read 1637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2013 03:12:07 AM »

I am (slowly) working my way towards making a real corset, and thought this one would be good for practice. I really, really liked the shape of it! I sewed it from double layers of canvas, and skipped the boning because this was just a mock-up. Instead of sewing it right-sides I just sandwiched the layers and added bias tape around the edges.

But I didn't take any pictures of it on me because the fit. was. so. bad. I have a long torso, and there were no lengthen/shorten lines. If this thing is placed under my bust, the waistline is above my natural waist; if it's at my waist, it's like wearing an ice cream cone; also, I made the muslin a size smaller than the pattern suggested (taking into account the extra seams allowances from not turning it out), and it was too big. Sized it down again, still too big. Sewed more into the seam allowance, still too big.

So...yeah. Not thrilled with it. If you have a nice, normal-length torso, though, it might be alright once you figure out what size to make.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013 03:29:21 AM by Longelegantlegs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013 05:24:34 AM »

it looks good for a first try Smiley
I'm sure you will get to your perfect corset eventually.

Too bad this one doesn't work for you, but I'm sure you could learn a few things from the project that make corset-sewing look less intimidating.

I've sewn a few corsets, and I learned that it is impossible to properly fit corsets without at least half of the boning already inserted. So I really wouldn't skip the boning channels on the muslin for a steel boned corset. Also, before I start, I always compare my measurements to those of the pattern i'm using.

I don't know how experienced you are with corsets, but if you haven't worn them a lot If you can get your hand at finished corsets, that really helps too. For my first corset, I built the pattern around the hip, waist and underbust measurements of a corset that fit me well (I just went to some goth-store and tried a few corsets until I could see the differences between the corsets that worked on my body and those that don't.)

Good luck with your quest, I am sure your corset will turn out great Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013 08:51:42 AM »

Thanks!

I think I'm going to abandon this in favor of a pattern with a longer line, but I will be sure to add boning to the mock-up next time; I am pretty much completely unfamiliar with corsets, and I've only ever tried one on. But I *did* learn a lot about how they're constructed, and the whole thing has been pretty fun so far.

I really appreciate the tips!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013 09:53:39 AM »

If you're not that experienced, I tought maybe you will find that link useful:

http://bridgesonthebody.blogspot.co.at/2011/09/lacing-strips.html

I made a properly boned lacing strip (flat steel on both sides of the grommets) for my first corset mock up and it really saved me a lot of trouble.

Also, there was a sew along on that blog where every possble step of the construction is covered in great detail:
http://bridgesonthebody.blogspot.co.at/2012/02/1911-all-steps-in-one-place.html

I'm glat that you are having fun with your project Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlenaSelene
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013 09:32:48 AM »

Too bad it didn't fit, because it looks nice on the mannequin.

It's very frustrating when a pattern refuses to fit right no matter how much it's tweaked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
George Papanikolas Predicts Oscar Red Carpet Hair Trends
Model Chrissy Teigen Inspires a Long Hair Makeover
How to Do a Messy Faux Bob
Full, Loose Curls at Desigual Fall 2014 NYFW
DIY at Home Mask for Dry Scalp and Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...