A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Project Stitch Along 2013  (Read 6891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013 12:11:47 AM »

It's really kind of neat.  The EZ Count Grid Line stuff is basically a bright red fishing line of 4lb or lighter test.  The cool thing about it, is that you can stitch wherever around it you want, and when the piece is done you just pull it and it slides out without creating distortion in the stitches.  It really made pieces start flying along as I stitched them.  I thought I would go nuts over the linen piece I'm working on, but it helped SO much, especially since there are a ton of quarter and three quarter stitches. 

Very true on the Mario Map!  I love how much sense pieces from older video games make when you stitch the sprites out.  I did a Tetris one as a gift to my (now ex)boyfriend.  He still likes it.  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314312.msg3616865#msg3616865
It was so cool, since there were straight lines! 

That's so handy to not have to use a frame.  Smiley   I'm a little more limited on the frame thing if it's a big piece.  Not so much tension in stitches, but I concentrate so much I hold it a bit tightly and it musses the fabric more than I like.  Sad 

What is your next big piece? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
callaphera
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013 02:12:29 PM »

Oh, wow! That Tetris one is awesome! I love the idea of turning it into magnets. I've seen it done with the plastic canvas but your way of doing it is brilliant. I may have to consider something like that once my fridge isn't covered in three pounds of paper and receipts.

Part of my reasoning behind not using a frame or a hoop is that I kinda suck at finding the holes in the back side of the fabric, so I tend to flip it back and forth a lot in order to place the needle correctly.

I'll have to look into that gridding line. I took a quick look around Michael's yesterday when I was there, but they didn't seem to have anything like that so I'll poke around online. I'm Canadian and prices for craft stuff on Amazon Canada is ridiculous, but it might be worth it if I can find it (I wonder if I can just use fishing line itself, since there are some fishers in the family).

My next piece is based off of this picture: http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/wp-content/gallery/final-fantasy-xiii-2-2701/ffxiii-2_lightning.jpg. The version I have saved on my computer is just a close-up of her face. I'm still working on making it a bit smaller and still retaining some detail. I know it's not going to look as sharp as that, but I've liked what the chart looks like so far. I've made a promise to myself that I can't start this one until Mario is done. I can't find any 18 count black Aida in town, so I'll have to save up in order to get it online. I'm ignoring the colour changes in the background and just doing it with a straight black background. I think it'll pop more, especially with all the different shades of pink and peach. The character is Lightning from the recent Final Fantasy XIII games. I seem to be really into the video game thing lately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013 12:18:50 AM »

Thanks!  I had a lot of fun with it after it was done.  It did get way repetitious since it was only 4 colors and only stitching a bunch of squares.  Wink  I loved the size when I was done, but the super small petit point style was pretty nutty.  That said, I'm starting to get the urge to do more game stuff in that size again!

Nothing wrong with looking at the back as you go!  Finding the right spots on the back comes with time.  I did the same thing on my first bunch of pieces.  I used to just use a small hoop and had to flip for nearly each stitch.  Eventually you get to the point that you can kind of find it by feel, and by lightly dragging the needle tip across the back of the fabric so you can slightly see it on the front for the right spot. 

I haven't seen the gridline at a store before, but here's their webpage.  http://rseasycount.com/  I think the company sells through eBay?  Check their shipping...  Or maybe a Canadian stitching webpage has some? 
I really do like their product.  They seem to have that bright red color specifically made for them, and it shows up on backgrounds and over stitches really well.  Otherwise, see if you can find some of that same type of line.  It's about 4lb (or less) test, not one of the braided or flyline just smooth plastic.  The spiderwire and other more bumpy filaments will try catching on fabric, so skip that.  I have had a hard time finding some that is thin enough, yet more visible available.  But, I am up in Alaska, and most people want a much heavier test...   I played around with finding a huge roll and using it forever.  Didn't really happen. 
As is, the brand name stuff lasts pretty well.  you can actually reuse it from one project to the next too, if it's a same size or smaller piece! 

Oh my gosh!  Your FF piece will be really awesome.  The pink/peach will be striking on the dark background too!  Great choice!  I give you credit for finishing your Mario before starting on something new too.  Don't get me wrong, I adore Mario, particular Mario 3, but I get so excited about other things too...

Are you using KG Chart to make your chart, or which program?  I've had great luck with KG for both stitching and quick bead charts.   

Keep up the great work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
callaphera
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013 09:14:44 AM »

I priced out the materials for the FF piece online. The shipping price sucks, but I have a roundabout idea that it's gonna cost me a LOT more than I had anticipated, but I'm still playing around with the chart to see if I can bring the colour number down and (hopefully) the price as well. I am using KG for it. I love the colours that it picks, even if it's slightly off. I know from looking at other Mario maps done, my background is a bright yellow as opposed to a more peachy tone in a lot of them, but I think it pops more and I don't mind having it slightly inaccurate if it means that it really pops off the wall.

I also found the gridding line through an online retailer, but again, shipping prices suck, so I'm gonna have the experiment and see what I can come up with locally. Vancouver doesn't seem to be big on needlework, judging from the business searches I've done.

I was hoping to have an update picture, because I think my camera is already at the bottom of a box (we're planning on moving and preemptively packing all we can), but I've gotten to the worst part of the first page. Never ending yellow background stitches. At least it's easier to watch hockey games and stitch when you know you don't have to do any colour changes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amigurl55

I already did!

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013 07:42:56 PM »

I've found some really cool big patterns on Etsy, but they're like $25 and I'm not so sure I'd finish them.  That's kinda pricey for a pattern I might not finish.  So in the meantime I'm working on a large-ish pattern.  It's about 6" high and that's pretty much the biggest thing I've ever cross stitched. 

In progress:

I just need to stitch "oooh" and Rigby, then fill in the color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
WrecksTangle

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013 08:19:41 PM »

I'm in again. Working on the same piece as last year, the steampunk girl. I'll post an update pic soon. I put it down for a while and was working on other smaller projects (none of which I have finish yet...) but now I'm back at it and hope to have it finish by August.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amigurl55

I already did!

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013 10:43:14 PM »

Well I bit the bullet and picked out a large pattern. Finished size is 16.5 inches high by 13.5 inches wide. I went out and bought a scroll lap frame because working in a hoop was awkward.

Here is the design:

What I did last night:

And tonight's progress:

I'm definitely enjoying myself. I'm hoping I can stick with it and finish it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013 07:59:26 AM »

You can do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
amigurl55

I already did!

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013 07:46:32 PM »

The little flowers were a pain but I stuck it out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013 12:59:27 PM »

I am loving the colors. Nice job on the flowers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
LORAC Touch-Up to Go Concealer and Foundation Pen Review
Deconstructed Rose Lip Gloss Library Review
Eye Makeup Tutorial: Applying Eye Shadow
Hard Candy Take Me Out Blue Liner Review
Body Bronzing Spray Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...