A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Project Stitch Along 2013  (Read 5780 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 02, 2013 06:50:15 AM »

So....it's a little late! What big projects are you working on this year?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cross stitch ninja
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013 07:35:11 AM »

I'm still working on my zombies... But I've reached the top part of the picture, so I'm beginning to see the end of it! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013 07:36:32 AM »

Holy hell on a poptart! Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cross stitch ninja
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013 07:57:59 AM »

Thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom.
FidgetyFox
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013 01:33:46 PM »

Mine is not nearly so big as the zombie picture, but I'm going to embroider a dress shirt to wear while getting ready for my wedding. I'm going to have designs along all of the edges and on the pocket, as well as the information about the venue and the names of the wedding party all stitched in with the designs. I'm not all that experienced with embroidery, so it's making me nervous to start! I don't want to mess it up because I'm using my dad's dress shirt and I would hate to have to find a random one somewhere else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
callaphera
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013 01:24:55 PM »

Mind if a newbie jumps in?

This could probably go in the Nintendo Stitch-a-long topic, but this piece is massive (to me). I've been working on this particular cross stitch since about this time last year. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and classic NES was one thing my boyfriend and I bonded over when we first met three years ago. Then real life got in the way, and I put it down. First came the six day a week job, which didn't give me any free time. That job led to a second six day a week job. And unfortunately, in the second week of that second job, I got hit by a car (I was a pedestrian), and broke my arm bad enough to need surgery and have a metal plate and screws put in.

Needless to say, it cut back on my crafting pretty seriously. I had pretty well stopped cross stitching before that and had taught myself crochet and knitting while I was working. Since my broken arm was my dominant arm, anything with a lot of movement was out of the question. After two months of rehabing it, I still don't think I can handle much more than 20 crochet stitches (disappointing, since my WIP blanket is 260 stitches a row), but I did figure out how to minimize movement on my arm with cross stiching. Yay! Something to break the tedium of lots and lots and lots of television (and not much else).

My plan is to have this finished by the end of the year, framed, and hanging on our wall. It's my first cross stitch project ever, so I don't know if I'm being reasonable about the time (I have yet to finish the first page of the pattern, of which there are six). Finished size should be roughly 13x9. It's not amazing, because I'm using under ten colours of floss for the thing, but it's definitely big to me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013 08:08:38 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013 11:31:37 AM »

Jump right in! Wow! That is going to be epic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

callaphera
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013 12:43:26 PM »

Thanks. I kinda just went for it and started without really knowing what I was doing. I suck at counting (I definitely picked the wrong crafts for my lack of mathiness) so I have to do a row with all of its colour changes rather than bouncing around. It makes the picture seem to appear slower, but I figure there's no real way to do it wrong and my back looks nice and neat, so I'm happy. My next big piece that I want to do is 47 colours, which is a big jump up from the 9 or so I'm using right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013 10:58:42 PM »

Thanks. I kinda just went for it and started without really knowing what I was doing. I suck at counting (I definitely picked the wrong crafts for my lack of mathiness) so I have to do a row with all of its colour changes rather than bouncing around. It makes the picture seem to appear slower, but I figure there's no real way to do it wrong and my back looks nice and neat, so I'm happy. My next big piece that I want to do is 47 colours, which is a big jump up from the 9 or so I'm using right now.

Wow!  That is a massive piece.  I've always wanted to make one of the Mario 3 maps.  Smiley  Keep up the great work- it doesn't matter which technique you use (rows or blobs), just as long as you enjoy it! 

Have you ever stitched after gridding your fabric?  It's really helpful on big stuff. 

I need to do something with my big piece.  I keep getting sucked into making gifts or something else with beads.  I love stitching and miss it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
callaphera
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013 12:08:00 PM »

I've seen pictures of gridding, but I have trouble wrapping my head around how it works. I can't figure out if you stitch over it or under it, or remove it when you get close to it, or even what you use. Thankfully, the Mario map is simple and pretty easy to follow along with. I usually put some thread of an opposite colour near an area if I need to remember whether I've done ten or twenty stitches on the border, but that's as close to it as I get.

I also don't use a hoop or a frame to stitch with. I did practice for a bit on another piece of fabric and my tension seems to be all right without it. No mishaps yet. I'm definitely doing some research for my next big piece (47 colours, mainly shades of pink, on black fabric and around the same size).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coloring Techniques with John Simpson - Part 2
Professional Hair Color Technique Lesson
Hair Foil Coloring Technique
How to Style Long Hair with Mogi Hair Education
Tapered Hair Cut Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...