A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Featured Artist Archive  (Read 2830 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_member , featured_artist  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2013 11:28:55 AM »

The fibre boards have never had a Featured Member!  But it's time we give a little extra attention to those who help to make these boards really really awesome!

With the help of the "This Rocks" button, I was able to find out who was one of our boards most "Rocked" members.  This time around it's Harlan!  Harlan has been a member of Craftster since February 22, 2011.  Since joining she has shared a number of absolutely beautiful needle felted creation, and has shared tips and advice. She is the author of Needle Felting - To the Point, and the maker of beautiful Prittens, among other things as well.

I asked a few questions of Harlan, and the answers are as follows:

1.  How were you introduced to needlefelting? And how long have you been creating felt pieces?

I first became aware of needle felting after looking at a book called Fleece Dog. I remember looking at the photos and instructions and thinking I can do that. That must have been in 2007.

2. What was the first needle felted item you made?

After having looked at Fleece Dog I came home and looked for needle felting kits on the internet. I found a kit for making mice. When the kit arrived, I read through the instructions, threw them away and proceeded to teach myself. Im still teaching myself.

3. Which FO of yours is your most favorite?
My most favorite of my needle felting pieces would probably have to be Wixie. Wixie is a black and white cat that I made for my husband.

4. Who are some Felters that inspire you?

I have many felting contacts on Flickr and other locations and I enjoy their work, but I try not to look to other felters for inspiration. That may sound odd, but basically it is the process of keeping my own artistic voice in my work.

5. Outside of felting, where do you gain your inspiration?

Outside of felting I draw inspiration from a huge number of sources. Just about anything can be a source of inspiration a childs toy, an illustrated book, Pantones seasonal color trends, or the squirrel outside the window. I did a very stylized bull sculpture last year that was the result of researching what one might call tribal color schemes and wound up looking through a lot of ancient cave paintings. You never quite know where you will find inspiration, but as an artist you can never wait for inspiration.

6. Do you have a favorite Craftster Project?

No, I really dont. Im the sort of artist who takes a basket making class and makes a hat.

7. If you could tell your young self one thing, what would it be?

The magical time machine questionignoring the philosophical debate over how such pre-knowledge would forever change the outcome, I guess I would tell myself to work harder.

Thank you Harlan, for taking the time to answer my questions, and Congratulations for being our first Featured member on the Fiber Boards!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harlan

Author of "Needle Felting - to the Point"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013 02:57:51 AM »

What an honor!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

THanks so very much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're unique! Just like everyone else!!
Prittens and other needle felted creatures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prittens/
CraftArtEDU - exception classes from exceptional instructors
http://www.craftartedu.com
Intimate Forest - my oil paintings
http://www.intimateforest.com
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013 12:33:53 PM »

I love seeing your felted pieces...i was lucky enough to see a piece first hand at MissingWillow's home...beautiful work..I also adore your jewelry pieces...they are so soothing and calming to me...many pieces look inspired by the sea or nature...I had not seen the piece featured above..it is gorgeous!!!

Thanks for sharing a bit of your story!  I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful felted work, Harlan!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheryl01brown
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013 07:41:55 PM »

Those felted items look great! I feel envious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013 03:54:45 PM »

Meet ptarmic wumpus, our next featured artist!  She's been a member of Craftster since early 2004 (She's nearly been here for the whole time!!!) She's a Fanatic Friend of Craftster, Successfully swapped 115 times, and has shared many wonderful tutorials with us.  I asked a few questions of her. Here are her answers, interspersed with wonderful pictures of her amazing creations!

1- Tell me a bit about yourself!

I am a research meteorologist with lots of hobbies. I live in a very messy apartment with two "helpful" cats and a thick insulation of fiber and fabric.

2- How long have you been felting?

About eight years. The week after I handed in my thesis, I took a beginner class on wet felting at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. I have sporadically taken a few more classes, slowly becoming more serious about felting over the years. I don't have as much time to felt as much as I'd like to (or use up my fiber stash fast enough) between my job and other hobbies.

3- Where do you find inspiration?

I like textures, and want to be able to recreate them in felt, but don't really have the skill for that yet. I tend to take pictures of lichens, weird rusty objects, or even slimy algae-covered walls to use later for felting. I tend to be drawn to recreating actual forms/objects rather than more stylized worked.

4- Besides felting, what would be your favourite project you have created? What other crafts do you do?

I dabble in various forms of dyeing, and am fairly serious at garment sewing - I sew almost all of my clothes. I have also done a smattering of woodworking projects and especially like (re)finishing wood furniture.  I don't know that I really have a favorite, maybe some vintage Singer sewing tables that I stripped and refinished a few years ago.

5- Do you have a favourite project created by someone else on Craftster?

Gosh, I've been lurking around for almost a decade now and there have been so many great projects that I don't think I could pick one out!

6- And one of my favourite questions, if you could go back in time and tell your younger self something, what would it be?

Hmmm. I guess I'd have to say that if you have an uneasy gut feeling about something, it is probably a really horrible idea. Also, sell that stock in 1998

Thank you ptarmic wumpus for answering my questions, and congratulations on being our Fibre Boards featured Artist!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013 07:21:50 AM »

Great feature! I'm always inspired by ptarmic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Skimm on AOL BUILD
Learn How to Make No Sew Pillows
How to Make a Summer Shell Centerpiece
Beach-Inspired Paperweight Crafts
How to Make a Waterproof Picnic Blanket
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...