A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,029
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tiny pillars on a tiny cake?  (Read 633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rachelslittlethings
Professional Make-Up Arist and Miniature Sculptor

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2013 07:04:59 PM »

So this cake is small. like 2 1/2 inches barely. And I have the clay based decorated and pretty. Now I gotta attach the pillars in between. I tried earring based wrapped in clay but it didn't work, plus I gotta play down 4 bases and push the top tier on it evenly and it just wasn't working, plus I felt like it was gonna break during shipping. Any ideas for the right look to the pillars as well as keeping it sturdy?

here's my cake to get the size idea

http://i45.tinypic.com/2laaidt.jpg

and here's the decorated tiers
http://i48.tinypic.com/1gfw9k.jpg

and here's what I attempted with the earring backs flipped over
http://i47.tinypic.com/2zqenw0.jpg
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013 07:08:56 PM by Rachelslittlethings » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wwrich
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013 01:50:25 PM »

Your pictures are blocked to me here at work, so I might not be understanding what the problem is...what I am hearing is that you can't find objects to use as the pillars.

Have you looked in the "food-related party supplies" area?  I know that I got some drink stirring sticks a while ago that were clear and round and about the right diameter (I needed something clear).  They might have some either extra fancy plastic tooth picks, or something designed for alcoholic drinks that is the right diameter and color.  Think about places that might carry the little plastic swords or little paper umbrellas.  Sometimes restaurants/bars will give you a couple.  You will probably need to cut/break them to the right length.  Sand paper might be necessary to flatten the top/bottoms properly too. 

Since it looks like a wedding cake, you might try the wedding section at the craft store.  Look for small party favors that you could take apart.  Another place you might try looking is the toy store.  We occasionally found things that were just perfect for minis in the candy section too.  I recently did something that used a coffee stirrer (a very thin straw), but it was too flimsy for the role it was playing, so I glued a toothpick inside of it first.  Since both ends will be covered, no one but you will ever know...

If the issue is assembly, you might try gluing the pillars to either a piece of card stock or thin plastic first, then attaching that to your cakes.  I know that many complex polymer clay object are done by baking the clay several different times -- creating parts, baking those, then using more clay to combine those parts together.  Have you tried that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
Rachelslittlethings
Professional Make-Up Arist and Miniature Sculptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013 03:59:45 PM »

Thanks for all those tips. I have a lot of ideas running through my head right now. I'm trying to figure out if I need to bake the pieces first and glue afterwards or if I can use metal pieces for tiers and bake them with the clay. So it's a logitisical thing right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinderspritzer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013 10:10:22 AM »

I imagine this project is long done and gone, but could you maybe try bugle beads next time around?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Eye Contact During Auditions Affects Performance
How Props Can Enhance Auditions
How Memorizing Lines Affects Your Audition
The Importance of Creating a Personal Acting Website
How to Social Network as an Actor
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...