A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: henna'ed  (Read 1014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

i like bright and shiny things.

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2005 09:48:06 PM »

i was thinking of getting henna tattooes sleeved on my arm. since i NEVER wear short sleeves, because they're too revealing (haha) I think that would be OK. I basically know nothing about henna though, so anyone have any thoughts?
like, a friend of a friend you know, etc?
thanks, that'd b-rad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way of falling."

Andre Gide
LetterGhost
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005 09:57:28 PM »

go read all about henna at http://www.hennapage.com
Very, very extensive resource. EVERYTHING you need to know is there. Just stay away from so-called "black henna."

I started doing henna about 2 months ago and I always have my left hand done from fingertips to near-elbow. One thing you should know is it stains lighter and fades away quicker the closer you get to the trunk of your body. (look up the sections on how henna stains and where it stains best on the hennapage.) So, my palm design might linger 4-6 weeks but farther up my arm is pretty faded in a week or two. I usually trace over my designs every week or so to keep them looking good.

So, why do you want sleeves done if you don't wear short sleeves? No one will get to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005 10:47:06 PM »

I've heard storied of black henna and ya, stay away from it they put nasty stuff in it like oil and gasoline and it can and usually will cause a rash, but Indigo is so cool looking. It's not Henna and comes from a different plant. Probably harder to find this kind of artist, but the ink is blue and it doesn't last near as long as henna. Only like 2-3 days. Henna can last up to 2 weeks if u take care of it really well.

Henna is basically a paste made from henna plant leaves. You leave it on for *depending on how potent the mixture is - the longer the better with ANY henna, since it darkens the more its exposed to ur skin* about 30 mins - 8 hours. Usually 2 hours is pretty good. and it will darken even more - after 24 hours it will be its darkest.

Henna can even die your hair! I've done it, and it looks natural, and it is natural Wink It's really only red hues though.

Generally it's not harmful. Usually there's only sugar, lemon, and henna in it, maybe some coffee, or maybe even some slightly different other stuff (every mixture from every artist is different). But those are the main main ingredients and really all u need. You can ask your artist for more specifics. Color ranges from artist to artist and plant to plant, from a light brown to a deep red.

The reason I know all this, and it isn't hard to find out, is that some day I want to be a henna artist, once I can find a plant!

And hennapage.com is a wonderful resource! like letterghost said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005 01:23:07 PM »

If you are going to have it done professionally, get someone local who makes their paste as least 24 hours in advance.  You might not get an honest answer when you ask....but you will know by how long your henna stays on.  If it doesn't stay well, consider finding someone else to use. 

ruthee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005 04:24:30 PM »

ok thanks

the reason sleeves: because it is summer and i would wear short sleeves if my arms looked rad. as it is they don't haha....and i mean i only want to cover it up at work. eh!

i'm going ot look at that site now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Andre Gide
mycatisnosferatu
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005 08:30:24 AM »

Unless you are going to do it to yourself its going to be too expensive to be worth it.  My son got a 2 inch sword on his arm for $5.  And it only lasts a few days.  If you get your whole arm hennaed you need to show it off.  Especially if you are paying for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005 11:28:30 PM »

h mmmm mmmm

you're all so right.
awww....and the price thing was like a lightbulb in a dark room, when I'm trying to sleep, haha, beccause I'm supposed to be saving money for school, and i am seriously thinking up ways to spend it faster than burning it, and i was kindof hoping this idea wouldn't be too pricey. hmmm.. .

i also found another thread on here about henna powder etc, so since i am vaguely artistic, I'm going to go read that thread now...

thanks so much! you persons are wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Andre Gide
japanesecajun

Sometimes i wonder about it all.....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005 06:32:47 AM »

When i was in Florida, I got a tribal design henna on my lower back, for 35 bucks, and that was 2 months ago, and its still there. I've heard they can last up to 3 months if you put baby oil or vaseline over it before you go in water, which is what I do. It looks really cool, and I tricked my grandmother into thinking it was real, which was probably mean....... but, she found out it wasn't. Anyways, the only thing I found annoying about it was I couldn't let any article of clothing touch it before it dried, which means I had to tie my shirt up and roll the back of my shorts down a little. I only minded it cause I got a tummy, which my friends love poking, and i don't feel the need to expose it to the world..... But, that was really the only problem i had wit it. now if only I could get a real one.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Die-ary,

I seem to be dead.
glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005 09:33:17 AM »

Ok rad.... I'm liking this.
However, I tend to think about these things for a long time, like when I had my bracelet-piercing, i thought about it for at least 6 monthes, and then tried it obsessively over the course of the year, and it kept getting swollen.... so my skin won't take it. yuk.

So I'm sure I'll get it done eventually, I'm just not sure when.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Andre Gide
LetterGhost
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005 02:35:42 PM »

When i was in Florida, I got a tribal design henna on my lower back, for 35 bucks, and that was 2 months ago, and its still there. I've heard they can last up to 3 months if you put baby oil or vaseline over it before you go in water, which is what I do. It looks really cool, and I tricked my grandmother into thinking it was real, which was probably mean....... but, she found out it wasn't. Anyways, the only thing I found annoying about it was I couldn't let any article of clothing touch it before it dried, which means I had to tie my shirt up and roll the back of my shorts down a little. I only minded it cause I got a tummy, which my friends love poking, and i don't feel the need to expose it to the world..... But, that was really the only problem i had wit it. now if only I could get a real one.......
Two months?? Lucky you! I don't think that's a typical result though...at least not according to my experience/what I've read...
http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/skin/stratum/sc4.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elizabeth Winthrop: What Are You Reading?
CoolAger of the Year Awards
Adam Goldman: What Are You Reading?
Lisa Unger: What Are You Reading?
Passionaries by Tonya Hurley Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...