A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 316,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 98
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Spring Semester 2013~  (Read 197730 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #810 on: May 12, 2013 03:55:24 PM »

Thanks noodle-bug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #811 on: May 12, 2013 07:47:33 PM »

Class: Potions
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Espresso Chocolate Chip Shortbread
(Vegan-able!)
Recipe Source Link: http://userealbutter.com/2008/09/25/espresso-chocolate-chip-shortbread-cookies-recipe/
Brief Description: One of my favorite smells is fresh ground and brewed coffee.  While I don't like the taste of coffee, I do love the smell of freshly ground beans, which I associate with my husband who grinds them fresh every morning before brewing a cup in his French press.  (At the same time, he always makes me a cup of tea too, which is extra endearing.)

Project Picture:

Espresso Chocolate Chip Shortbread

1 tbsp instant espresso or coffee powder/granuels
1 tbsp boiling water
2 sticks unsalted butter or margarine, room temperature
2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips

Dissolve espresso powder in boiling water. Set aside to cool to tepid.

Beat butter and confectioners’ sugar together on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until the mixture is very smooth.

Beat in vanilla and espresso, then reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, mixing only until it disappears into the dough. Don’t work the dough much once the flour is incorporated.

Fold in the chopped chocolate or chips with a sturdy rubber spatula. Using the spatula, transfer dough to a gallon-size zip-loc bag. Put bag on a flat surface, leaving the top open, and roll the dough into a 9 x 10 1/2 inch rectangle that’s 1/4 inch thick. As you roll, turn the bag occasionally and lift the plastic from the dough so it doesn’t cause creases. When you get the right size and thickness, seal the bag, pressing out as much air as possible, and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours, or for up to 2 days.

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Put the plastic bag on a cutting board and slit it open. Turn the firm dough out onto the board (discard the bag) and, using a ruler as a guide and a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1 1/2-inch squares.

Transfer the squares to the baking sheets and carefully prick each one twice with a fork, gently pushing the tines through the cookies until they hit the sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back at the midway point. The shortbreads will be very pale–they shouldn't take on much color.

Transfer the cookies to a rack. If you’d like, dust the cookies with confectioners’ sugar while they are still hot, or drizzle with melted chocolate. Cool the cookies to room temperature before serving. Makes about 3 dozen.

Challenge: Bertie Bott's Mini Challenge - Baked Beans
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Dreamy Veggie Polenta Biscuits
(Vegan!)
Recipe Source Link:  http://www.madejustright.com/recipe/dreamy-polenta-biscuit/
Brief Description: I've spent the last two days trying to use up stuff from around the house before I go grocery store tomorrow.  These came up on my Pinterest feed yesterday and sounded delicious, so I had to try them.
Project Picture:

Polenta Biscuits

1 cup Flour ( I use a mix of 50/50 w.w. pastry flour and unbleached white)
2 tablespoons Earth Balance Shortening or margarine
1/2 cup Polenta
1 cup whole corn ( canned, fresh or frozen which as been thawed)
1/2 cup finely diced carrots
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup Almond Milk or Soy Milk (unflavored)
1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
1 tablespoon baking powder

In a bowl blend flour and shortening.

After flour is blended add polenta, carrot, cilantro and sifted baking powder.

In a blender add corn and soymilk, blend for about 30 secs. You want to keep this a bit on the chunky side.

Add salt to the dry ingredients and the blended corn & almond milk.

Gently mix, it should resemble a soft dough. Put in fridge to rest for 10 minutes. This allows the polenta to absorb some moisture.

Give a final mix and loosely spoon into muffin tins.

Put in preheated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.

Let cool before removing from muffin tin, serve with a side salad or soup or enjoy them on their own with a dab of Earth Balance buttery spread.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013 07:15:34 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #812 on: May 12, 2013 07:59:55 PM »

:: A screech owl bursts into the great hall making an unholy racket as it lunges for you at the table during "Midnight Snack- Attack" (something the kitchens are trying out during exams prep week). He lands in front of you and holds out an impressive talon making you flinch- until you realize he's simply bringing you your copy of THE S.P.E.W. REVIEW. Late. Poor dear, he looks exhausted! You put 2 knuts and a sickle in his pouch (knowing that 2 knuts of every purchase goes directly to SPEW events and activities makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.) and he gratefully heads up to the Owlery for a snack of his own and some much needed rest.::

THE S.P.E.W. REVIEW

Announcements:  Reminder, the ACCIO BOOK challenge has been extended to MAY 31. You still have time to look through those bookshelves and select some fun reads to share with kids who might not otherwise have a book of their own. Carpe Librum!

This week your Hogwarts S.P.E.W. Chapter wishes to thank each and every one of you.

By creating and managing this fun game Pinkleo and JennieIngam give us a venue to share some smiles, support each other in learning and creating new things and, let's not lie: enjoy a little escapism for a few minutes a day. Smiley (We don't know about you, but that sure promotes our mental welfare!)  Thank you!

The friends who make the badges and quidditch challenges for each house and take an extra role in making this board as involved as it is- you, too, promote our welfare.  Thank you!

The posters who choose a house, follow the prompts and share the successes and, um, challenges, with the group- sometimes in highly involved and always appreciated story crafting style (yes, Teag, this week we're looking at you!) you promote everyone's welfare by feeding the community in which we all play- thank you!

At the foot of every bed tonight will be a special rememberall which when held cupped in your hands will glow with a soft light in your favorite colors to remind you that you are very much a part of making the world a more interesting, kind and fun place to be.

Thank you.

That's our report for the week,
Happy Crafting Everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

“Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Helcura

« Reply #813 on: May 12, 2013 08:27:55 PM »

The necklace is a wonderful gift - each component is so filled with meaning.  She's a lucky person to have a friend like you.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: May 13, 2013 08:30:33 AM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress....

A new Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean Mini-Challenge has been posted!  

What's this week's bean!?!?  Take the Portkey to the Deputy Headmistresses Office to find out!  And while you're there be sure to check out the inspiration projects from all around Craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

« Reply #815 on: May 13, 2013 09:01:50 AM »

What's this? Could I actually have something to turn in? Dobby's socks! who would've thunk it?!

Class: Herbology + SPEW (garden blanket), also HUNTER: Diadem + SPEW (Blue Blanket)
House: Slytherin
Description: I fell in love with the Red Heart Soft yarn in "Garden" the colors are reminiscent of the great gardens of the Wizarding world and the fanged geranium specifically. Anathea Atwater, the Witch of Garden Design and Cultivation at the Minister of Magic Government residence and grounds was consulted on the color scheme and patterning of the variegation. And what a job she has done! Her 45 years of experience in the field of Horticultural cultivation is evident in the way the yarn works up in this granny square blanket I made for donation to St. Mungo's infant ward. Also shown here is a second blanket in blue Homespun yarn by Lion Brand in a soft representation of Ravenclaw's colors and Ghostly Spectre.
Picture:

----------------------------------------------------

And now a few thoughts on some (not all- Ain't nobody got time for that! There's too much great stuff) of the Marvolo-ssss projects that have posted recently- such an interesting mix of mediums and designs. I love this board!

Jennie: The necklace for your friend is fab! so thoughtful and unique that I can easily see it becoming a cherished family heirloom for generations to come. Seriously. Like the charm bracelets that were visual diaries of women past this is a representation of a woman at a certain point in her life and should she ever have children (or mentor/student relationship like a mother/child one) then It would be a beautiful thing to bequeath to someone. Beautifully made!

Travelgirl- what a great idea your travel at supply kit is- definitely a gift she'll adore.

Abbee: Those "Baby Burritos" wraps are so cute! I too love that new baby smell. Smiley The Deadmau5 and pants are fun projects, too- what a creative kid you have!

Teag- The award or storycrafting goes to you this week! Dancing Dumbledores they were fun to read! The bird tree is beautiful. The creative reuse of the eggs is commendable as well, and I lurve those wee footprints- nicely done!

My, Eiseldora you have been busy! I think my favorite is the apron. Great package for the OAHPT!

Patty-o I like your bead choices for the patronus bracelet- pretty!  I still have yet to discover my patronus animal. It's not easy!

Everyone's recipes look so fun to try! We're going to need an HPC cookbook by the time we're finished!

OK, I've gotta run- thanks for the fun reads/views this morning!

(PS- JennieIngram: The bean challenge scheduling question: Anytime that works for you is A.OK with me! I put out the SPEW REVIEW on sundays, but I can't commit to a time so it just gets up there when I can. Sometimes in the a.m. sometimes just before midnight or anytime in between.  This is a board for fun- not stress- so do what works for you! *End of sermon*)

Happy Crafting, everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

“Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
jenleahlynn
« Reply #816 on: May 13, 2013 09:59:31 AM »

challenge-hunter-ravenclaw diadem, gryffendor-seeker
house-gryffendor
project-diadem necklace

there are only so many times a girl can wear a diadem, especially amoung the muggles, so i decided to transfigure it into a necklace. while i was fiddling around with the draping chains, i decided to use clasps to connect the ends to the base chain, that way i could adjust it to the neckline of what i was wearing. each connection has a small round bead and a teardrop crystal that i recieved in the givers needers swap. i love that it is elegant without being overdone.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn
interested in a private atc swap-i am collecting ATC cards to be framed in a collage and auction to raise money for Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma research. (ACCRF) project blog-    atc4acc.blogspot.com

pinterest.com/jenleahlynn
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

« Reply #817 on: May 13, 2013 04:06:00 PM »

Challenge: May Challenge/WIP
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Tiny Toys Tin
Brief Description: I found a vintage Dick and Jane book at the thrift shop and came right home to make an altered tin for my mom. She grew up with these books and has the best vintage toy collection ever. The little girl image was found googling "miniature paper doll," and combined with a few things lying around, I came up with this:

Abbee, baby burritos are awesome! We used them, and I swear they saved my sanity.

(They aren't in the burrito wrappers in that pic, I just thought it was a cute one...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helcura

« Reply #818 on: May 13, 2013 08:16:36 PM »

That's a really pretty design - it looks very good on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #819 on: May 14, 2013 01:34:39 PM »

Cuteness overload, pottermouth! Adorable tin AND two little "burritos"? LOVE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 98 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...