A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 98
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Spring Semester 2013~  (Read 117025 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #710 on: April 29, 2013 07:15:23 AM »

OWL Subject & Option (if available): History of magic Option 3
House: ravenclaw
Project Name: Auntie Olive's Blanket

Ok, so, only part of the work I did on this blanket is my OWL, but I figure I'll tell the whole since the other stuff was initially an OWL too, before I withdrew it so I could take a break from the project.
This is what the blanket looked like in September

It's a knitted blanket, a simple pattern of squares. But it's missing lots of squares, many more have holes and unravelling going on - and a few of the missing one's have been kinda inexpertly repaired with denim (by my mum) - the weight of which is pulling everything out of shape.
But the blanket was knitted for me while mum was preggers with me, by my Great Auntie Olive. And I have loved it, carried it around, worn it as a togo, worn it as a native american shawl, took it to uni... etc. So i didn't want to retire it Smiley
But I can't knit, and anyway, I thought that putting my own stamp on the whole thing was a much better way to evolve it and pay homage to my Aunt, rather than just make a poor imitation of what she did.

I removed all the denim, and replaced the missing squares with felt (nice wool felt that works well with the wool in the original blanket, I like the different uses of the same base material)
I did some research to learn to repair the unravels, and fixed them as best I could, or at least stopped them getting worse - and hid any mess with more felt patches. The felt patches are all hand sewn with blanket stitch, to maintain the kind of simple traditional look. the threads I used don't match the colour of felt, and I used all different colours to keep it warm and lively looking.
I then backed the whole thing onto linen, tied it together with some random stitches... which I then hid on the linen side with more felt patches.
I finished by folding the linen over and using blanket stitch in a cotton yarn to edge the whole thing
and then my cat gatecrashed the photo shoot (she's been sat on it most of the time I've been working on it too)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013 07:23:46 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
hopeevey
« Reply #711 on: April 29, 2013 07:58:49 AM »

Lovely work!  So delightful that you can keep using a hand-made blankie, and contribute to it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiamatfire
« Reply #712 on: April 29, 2013 08:55:51 AM »

Since I finished my last OWL, it's time for another proposal!

OWL Proposal: Charms

I'll be making a cabled sweater in a beautiful turquoise colour called Pacific, which makes me think of the Aguamenti charm.  It also has cabling on it, reminiscent of the complex wand motions make when casting spells.  Since it's a sweater that's my size and involves very complicated cabling on the hood (it's the Rogue hoodie, which I've made once before and was my first sweater ever) it will definitely take 3 weeks.

Looking forward to finishing it, hopefully in time for some cooler weather still before the hot summer hits!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #713 on: April 29, 2013 11:01:20 AM »

~*Headmistress Memo*~

I wanted to make a few announcements before I pull out my Magic Quill & cast my House Points Spell...

~* The Accio Books Book Drive ends April 30, 2013.  That is ONE day away!  You must post your Accio Books challenge by this date to be counted for House Points.  (Deputy Headmistress, I will have my donation posted tomorrow.)

~* The Hogsmeade Challenge ends May 1, 2013 which is a mere 2 days away. You must post your Hogsmeade challenge by this date to be counted for House Points.

~* Remember the Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans Challenge changes every 2 weeks or so.  When a new bean is announced, I will give students until the next day to post the previous bean and earn House Points. (I know these are usually announced on Sundays and some have PMed is a crazy day for you.  I do understand which is why I'm giving you the extra bit of time.)

~* Remember that the Horcrux Hunt ends at the end of this term.  Never fear, a new super challenge will take its place. Cool

~* Thank you for all your patience as I continue my journey with my health issues (all is well, and hopefully will be over with soon...please send blessings that my biopsy on May 10 turns out fine) and wrap up my DD homeschooling (state testing was last week and now on the final legs of the online lessons...summer vacation is NEAR!).

~* Finally, as with all things in the HPC, you are welcome to do any, all, or none of the challenges.  They are just a way to inspire your own magical crafting adventures.  Love what you craft, and craft what you love.

Until next time... ~*Blessed Be*~

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eiseldora
« Reply #714 on: April 29, 2013 11:29:18 AM »

Accio Books
Ravenclaw
Book Donation.

I had many YA books that were going unread, so I packed them up to send to the challenge.

What I'm sending.

And in the box
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sakuracat23

Don't make me get the flying Monkeys!!!

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 29, 2013 12:55:47 PM »

Hello everyone! Iv been really busy this semester...just not crafting  Sad but now that i have my own little space to craft hopefully I can pick up the pace. I have so many ideas!
Class/Challenge/House Pride: Accio Books!
House:Gryffindor!
Project Name:
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: I will admit that I hang on to stuff for way too long....the huge yard sale my mom and I just had is proof of that. and when read the accio book challenge I knew it was perfect for me. I had several young adult and tween books like Sweet valley high and Goosebumps series along with some different stuff thrown in and I ended up finding 30 all together! It was really neat to browes some of the old goosebumps "find your own adventure" books while picking which ones to send.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #716 on: April 29, 2013 03:01:56 PM »

Was my HoM OWL approved?  Huh
If it was, I missed it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

« Reply #717 on: April 29, 2013 04:24:04 PM »

Owl Proposal

OWL Subject & Option(if available): SoAR Option 1
Project Name: the third embroidery
Brief Description:

Emily Peacock has designed two beautiful embroidery pieces, 'Hug' and 'Kiss'

For this OWL I am planning to design my own cushion using the same colour palette and lettering style, but a slightly more grown up word  Wink
I will design the pattern, which will use 14 colours and be drawn out on grid paper. Both the complexity of the pattern itself, and the attempt to work it to blend in with pre-existing designs by a different artist, will be a challenge for me. I'll then sew it up using cross stitch on 14 count aida, with stranded embroidery thread.
I hope to use the rehearsal time I have at work this week (yay! Understudy runs!) to design and sew one letter. After that I will hope to average a letter a week. The word I am planning on has 4 letters, so hopefully the project will take me 4 weeks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #718 on: April 29, 2013 04:57:59 PM »

If only my wand could fix this blasted muggle internet connection...but then again probably for the best, I wouldn't want to alert the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office.  Okay, where was I...ah yes, updating.  Magic Quill-check.  Cast House Points Spell-check.  Cup of tea-check.  Kicking up feet & relaxing whilst updating....

check Grin

@Abbee: Your Zelda Stuffies are absolutely adorable! And great detail...love, love, love! Cool

@Ant Bee: I know I've said it before, but I must tell you again how much I adore your posts.  They always make me smile! Grin

@Audania:  So happy to see you!!! Grin  I COMPLETELY understand crazy times; I'm dwelling in them myself.  Your soup looks soothing and yum...I wish I was curled up with a big bowl right now.  And adore your apron.  For the Hunt, I have your last horcrux to find as the Slytherin Locket.  (If you have found it & missed it, just PM or post, and I'll repair my mistake.)

@Eiseldora: Kiss Thank for your generous book donation! I LOVE that you garden for your Dirt Bean. Grin  I desperately need to get out and tend to my beds. Undecided  And YAY for visiting Hogsmeade! Cool

@FiberAlchemist: Your OWL ghan turned out amazing! Shocked  Wondrous stitched and I love the color combo.  And YAY for encouraging you to do more crochet!  Your OWL Examiner will be by shortly with your certificate. Cool  Your class post has me hungry...especially for banana bread....And I believe that books would definitely be a scent with my Amortentia too. Grin

@FreakieGeekie: ~*OWL Approved*~  Your embroidery project sounds amazing (loved Mortal Kombat), and anything with that much satin stitch is definitely OWL-worthy.  Sending blessings of luck! Grin 

@jennie: Your stitch markers are fantastic!  Love the theme & charms!  I know Maman will adore them for years to come. Grin

@noodle-bug: Clever reuse of your tea-for-one pot.  And your robot pincushion jar & embroidery are adorable! And OH MY Shocked ...I am in utter love with your Hom OWL Blankie!!!  What a treasured keepsake!!!  Finally, ~*OWL Approved*~  I adore that design & color palette, and I can't wait to see what word you choose.  Sending blessings of luck! Grin

@pattyO: I must make attempt one of your cakes.  They are gorgeous and look super delish! Kiss for GF notes!

@pottermouth: Kiss Thank for your generous book donation!  Way to go on crafting for yourself; your change purse is so cute! Grin  ~*NEWT Approved*~  I'm happy you are saving these chairs; I just love their form.  I can't wait to see them reborn.  Sending blessings of luck!  And Shocked I LOVE YOUR BOWTRUCKLE!!!!

@sakuracat23: Hi sakuracat23!  Happy to see you in the castle! Grin  Kiss Thank for your generous book donation!

@tia: Your OWL Patronus blankie is lovely!  What a treasure! And to dare satin binding...just WOW Shocked  Your OWL Examiner will be by shortly with your certificate. Cool  And ~*OWL Approved*~  A cabled sweater!!  Oh yes, definitely OWL-worthy!  I wish you the best of luck!!! Grin

@travelgirl: Those are lovely star stitch markers!  And ~*NEWT Approved*~  Your shark quilt sounds amazing!  And to design & handquilt...beyond NEWT-worthy!  Sending blessing of luck! Grin

...one hour later...I'm done! Grin  Oh, I need to go for a stretch...and dinner Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

« Reply #719 on: April 29, 2013 05:06:35 PM »

Class: DADA
Project: Negative space butterfly mug rug

At first I thought that I knew what my patronus was, it seemed simple. But with a little deeper thought I was not so sure.
Now, I have - and still am - going through... stuff... at the moment (it's just kinda complicated and I can't be bothered explaining again, it's been ongoing for a couple of months and I feel like i've explained it to a million people in that time!)... which is enforcing some personal growth. So I guess in the long run it will be good, I'll be a rounder person for my experiences Smiley
But I feel like trying to define my patronus right now would be forcing it to shape before it is ready - it's in a cocoon phase right now.
And it's not a bad thing to give it - and myself - time.
So i created this mug rug - the butterfly symbolises ideas of transition - but I left the butterfly as negative space to show that there is room for whatever actual shape happens to emerge
It's french knots (LOTS of them) in many shades of pastel purple, on blue cotton, made up into a mug rug with lace trim and some paisley print fabric backing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 98 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...