A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Spring Semester 2013~  (Read 118955 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #580 on: April 14, 2013 08:59:16 AM »

jennie, I want your Magic Carpet Bookmark. I'm rereading One Thousand and One Nights!

Then it's yours luv!  Send me your address again and I'll mail it off next time I go to the Post Office.  Cheesy

And now I'm off to do the new Bertie Bott's Challenge, and a secret new SPEW related challenge!

You are so sweet! 

YAY New Bean!!!  And HUZZAH for secret SPEW challenge! Cool Kiss
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013 08:59:36 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: April 14, 2013 09:28:54 AM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress...

April 14-April 30, 2013

As you all know, it's SPEW Sunday!  And this Sunday your Deputy Headmistress has a special challenge for you.  This challenge is unusual, as it is non-crafting in nature.  Some of you may remember my challenge post from last semester, about the Harry Potter Alliance and it's Show Us the Report Campaign.  Well the HPA isn't an organization to just sit around waiting for one issue to be addressed.  They go out and find new horcruxes in the world, and find new ways to defeat them.  They are back with their annual Accio Books Campaign.  In the past this annual book drive has led to building libraries in Rwanda, the Mississippi Delta, and an elementary school in NYC.  This year they are teaming up with Read Indeed, a charity created by 7th grader Maria Keller, whose goal is to donate 1 million books to children in need by her 18th birthday.  So far she has succeeded in donating over 800,000 books in the last 4 years!  

So, your Deputy Headmistress is issuing this challenge, and is offering a chance go earn up to 30 House Points per Craftster, a Challenge Badge and a Chocolate Frog Card to add to your collection.  In order to fulfill this challenge, you must complete a few steps outlined below.  Points will not be awarded if the guidelines are not met.

First, you must donate books to children in need.  These books can be brand new, or gently used, and must be age appropriate for babies through teens.  (Since I don't have any children's books around my house, I personally plan to check my local thrift stores!)  There are a few ways to donate.  You can contribute to Accio Books directly, by mailing your books straight to Read Indeed.  (Address below.)  Books are able to be sent media mail, which should cut down on shipping costs, when compared to parcel or priority mail.  If shipping costs are a concern, but you still wish to participate, you can donate to a local source in your area.  Either, by contacting your local HPA chapter, and dropping books off with them.  (They will ship them to Read Indeed for you!)  Or, you may donate to a CHARITY in your area.  The HPA has created a Guide to finding an appropriate charity.  Please note that your local library probably does not count!  Why you ask?  Because nearly all donations made to public libraries are SOLD, rather than used by the library, or donated to needy children.  Organizations like Salvation Army & Goodwill do the same.  Places that might be looking for books in your area include elementary, jr. high, and high schools, childrens hospitals, community centers, homeless shelters, day care centers, etc.  I will count donations made to any of these types of charities.  If you have a charity you are unsure of, please feel free to PM me.

Secondly, you must post 2 pictures here in the thread of your challenge submission.  One picture of the stack of books you are donating (to show the number of books & titles so that we may award the correct number of House Points, and so it is obvious they are age appropriate).  And a second photo that is your "proof of sending" or "proof of donating".  This can either be a quick pick of your books all boxed up and addressed to Read Indeed, or it can be a picture of you bringing them to a local HPA chapter, school, or charity.  You do not have to list the name of the charity, if the charity itself prefers to be unmentioned, or to not have it's location disclosed.  Just snap a pic of the box of books on the seat of your car, on their way to their new home!  (This second pic may be posted as a thumbnail, so as to not clutter up the thread.)  

Now, onto the House Points... Since every single little bit helps in the struggle against illiteracy, and since every single book has the potential to become a child's favorite, you can participate by donating as little as one book.  If you are able to donate more, then great!  Points are outlined below.  I set a cap on the total number of possible points, so that no one feels like they are less able to participate due to personal or financial situation.  

1-5 books: 5 Points
6-10 books: 10 Points
11-15 books: 15 Points
16-20 books: 20 Points
20+ books: 30 Points

Address to ship Read Indeed donations:
Read Indeed
155 Jackson Ave. N., Ste 20
Hopkins, MN 55343

Note on books for Read Indeed:  Read Indeed asks that cloth books, and any books that require batteries be avoided.  (Smells can linger in cloth books, and if a child's family can't afford books, they are unlikely to be able to afford batteries for them either.)

Note for International Witches...  Obviously mailing books to the US would be more costly to you.  Please look into participating by donating to charities in your area!

~*Acccio Books Challenge Chocolate Frog Card~*

I'm sure there will be questions I have not answered in this post.  Please feel free to ask them here, or via PM.  I'll be back later today to check in!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013 06:30:23 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
AugustBell

« Reply #582 on: April 14, 2013 10:11:56 AM »

AugustBell, I'm digging your yarn on the hand towel. What is it?

Thanks! It's Sugar N' Cream in Aquarius. I got it at Hobby Lobby. Michael's didn't carry it.

AugustBell: ((HUGS)) So happy to see you!!!  I knew I heard cheers from the Ravenclaw Tower.  I love Dumbledore's socks, and your slippers look so cozy!  I'm in love with the owl ones!

Thank you! It's good to be back. I hope I can turn in a couple of more projects before the semester is up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #583 on: April 14, 2013 04:14:36 PM »

The new bertie botts bean is perfect for a craft I started thinking about today Cheesy

and I love the accio books challenge - I work for bookcrossing.com so I spend a lot of my time collecting and giving away books and I'm always looking for new ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: April 14, 2013 04:38:32 PM »

I'm curled up getting some time in on my NEWT. Yay for work time!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #585 on: April 14, 2013 05:26:33 PM »

SPEW REVIEW:
Great SPEW article and challenge today, Deputy Headmistress!  I'm looking forward to going on a book hunt later this week. Smiley

In SPEW related news, Pinkleo shared some new squares for Pine Ridge as well as a goal to make even more.  Well done!

I hope everyone gets the chance to do some good this week.

Happy Crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
jenleahlynn
« Reply #586 on: April 14, 2013 07:31:36 PM »

If only the accio books challenge had come a couple days ago. My husband just took a box to the library because he got tired of tagging for the rummage sale. I hadn't thought about other options.....I still have too many books....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

harry potter craft along- winter semester
2013-art journal along
journal prompt swap
shop the swap winter
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #587 on: April 14, 2013 07:40:37 PM »

I might be able to enter the Accio Books challenge! I won't be sending books by mail, but I need to browse throught our children books (we have so much!) and give some to the local family center we often go. They won't be sold for sure! Smiley

Welcome back Mlissa! Hope it's okay for you and your loved one. I missed you!

Pinks, the citrus smellything looks good enough to eat. I can smell it in my head!

Penguin, those slippers are so fun and cute Smiley

Jen, the steampunk set is very pretty! I love the somewhat chubby keys

Nice sparrow, Pottermouth! I wouldn't have the patience to ice something like that, and I've drawn a lot of those!

Craftylady, that rug will look awesome. Maybe you said and I've missed it, but how big are you going??

OWL UPDATE: I've drawn two owls yesterday, they are finished and I will show you soon Smiley
NEWT UPDATE: I've sketched on a piece of paper my measurement and what I need to buy for a twin size bed. I didn't have the courage to go just yet... Have you ever been in a big fabric store with pre-school children? I did. With their dad, and it was still SPORT.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #588 on: April 14, 2013 07:41:22 PM »

If only the accio books challenge had come a couple days ago. My husband just took a box to the library because he got tired of tagging for the rummage sale. I hadn't thought about other options.....I still have too many books....

My guy would tell you: There are NO such thing as too many BOOKS!

He's so Ravenclaw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #589 on: April 14, 2013 11:10:44 PM »

I'm finally back! I missed this place so much!
I'm a bad student: I finally finished Snape's clothes but I haven't taken pictures yet because his clothes STILL aren't fitting him right. I'm going to have to take them up AGAIN. I've never had as much trouble from any project as I've had from him. Makes me want to kick him across the room.

Class: SoaR
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Joyful Moogle
Brief Description: When I saw that my swap partner for the Gaming Swap, smileyyogini, liked Moogles, I couldn't resist embroidering one for her. They're so cute and look so cuddly! I don't know about you, but just looking at cute and cuddly things makes me happy! To tie into the joy, I gave the Moogle a sweet smile.

Class: Herbology
Project Name: Monster High doll clothes
Brief Description: If you've ever seen a MH doll up close you know that they have very tiny bodies with a back that has a pronounced arch. That being said, these dolls are VERY difficult to make clothes for (at least for me). It takes great patience and care to make their clothes because just the smallest slip-up means the clothing will NOT fit them; I learned this the hard way. But in the end I got a dress, top, and for my MH Swap partner, amigurl55. The skirt was actually repurposed from a Halloween costume accessory.

I counted these together because they took about thirty minutes together.

Class: Flying
Project Name: Kindle pouch (or for other uses)
Brief Description: Smileyyogini told me she had a Kindle and that she wouldn't mind a pouch so I made a this for her Kindle. BUT it also holds lots of things: I stuffed it full of candy extras for her and her family (that her husband and son devoured).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cut Fabric
How to Engrave Your Drinking Glasses
How to Decorate a Shadow Box
How to Tie the Sheet Bend Knot
Where Is the Best Glass Blowing Museum
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...