A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 98
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Spring Semester 2013~  (Read 106954 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Moonflame
« Reply #450 on: April 06, 2013 05:42:36 PM »

Oh, that dress is so cute!  (So is your daughter! Smiley  )  And I love the idea of the initials made from twigs!

CraftyLadyMJ, your rug is excellent!  Is that tube knitting?  Such a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
FreakieGeekie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #451 on: April 06, 2013 10:14:03 PM »

So many projects! X3

I have finished Snape's pants. They need a bit of taking in though, as does his shirt. Now he only needs shoes.
It will be a few days before I can post him up though because I've used my data for the month on my smartphone (restarts on the 15th, thank goodness) and my digital camera is missing. But at least he's FINALLY nearly done. I'll be so glad when he's finished. I'm giving him to my sister after he's done so she can have his bad luck XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #452 on: April 07, 2013 10:19:29 AM »

I've had one of those days where I've kinda finished up a couple of little bits to complete some projects... so;

Challenge: Hogsmede
House: Ravenclaw
Project:
So, you guys know I'm putting together a HP raffle prize for the big convention of the website I work for. I wanted to include some Potter chocolate and sweets, since those always attract participants, but in light of the HPA 'Show us the report' campaign and the doubts about how Warner bros official merch may not be the most ethical, I didn't want to buy their stuff. So I have made some Honeydukes packaging to put nice fair trade nommies in Cheesy
The bertie botts box is just a printable I found with some googling (if yoiu do that, watch out, many of the printable don't include the tabs to glue together so you have to add those yourself BEFORE cutting out  Roll Eyes) and I put clear plastic in the windows (cut from an old plastic bag) and filled it with jelly beans. The Chocolate frogs box is a printable from Mr Printables (it's meant as a gift bag), I added googly eyes and a label - inside are some frog shaped chocolates from our local chocolatier, an Easter special they did.
The 'In Case of Emergency' box is just a cardboard box I made, with Lettraset lettering and a wax stamp - inside are three bars of green & Blacks (Carmel, butterscotch and burnt toffee - they seemed like the sort of thing I could imagine the hogwarts house elves serving)

Challenge: Ring Horcrux
House: GO EAGLES!
Project:
IT'S STOPPED SNOWING! And so, of course, today I finished another cowl (this one for the boyf)
a cowl is, of course, just a woolly ring Smiley

Challenge: April Detention
House; Ra Ra ravenclaw
Project:
Like a lot of crafters, I always seem to push crafting fo myself to one side (I'll do it once I've finished this swap, and that birthday present....) but I do enjoy doing my nails, since my manual job means they are always breaking, at different lengths, and the skin is a mess - so trying to keep them even reasonably presentable is a struggle. So I took yesterdays evening show detention to try an idea I had seen on pinterest for putting newsprint onto nails
I have tried it before but this was much more successful, I'm pleased with them even if the hands and nails underneath the paint are a bit ropey!  Maybe next time I'll go with some images or patterns Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
MamanTattoo
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #453 on: April 07, 2013 10:25:36 AM »

Awesome work noodle, the nails are faboulus!!!
Is this a ministry of magic seal?? The idea's so neat Cheesy
But now I'm craving candy and chocolate...

The cowl looks great. It's manly enough for a BF Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: April 07, 2013 11:29:01 AM »

Have I enticed you yet?  Good, all is going according to plan...  Whahahahahaha....  Wink

While I do cook all of our family meals, I've been so sick for the last two weeks, and was out of town for a while before that, that I haven't made a real good, home cooked, everything-from-scratch meal in a while.  Last night some friends dropped over unexpectedly, and I was thrilled to see them.  So I decided to bump up the similar, but less fancy version of this meal that I was going to make for DH & I, and invite them to say.  One quick trip to the Mexican grocery store on the corner got me the extra veggies I needed, and I was on a roll in the kitchen, accompanied by a very lovely glass of Reisling.  Let me share my culinary magic with you...

House Pride: Roar, Roar, Gryffindor!
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Bold Gryffindor's Cajun Shrimp

Brief Description: The inspiration for this recipe came from Godric Gryffindor himself. With bold red spices and bright golden yellow lemons, it's perfect for this Gryffindor Girl's special Saturday night dinner with friends.  I knew I wanted to use Cajun flavors, as they are one of my husband's favorites, and I had lots of lemons in the house due to last week's trip to Aldi.  (Can't buy just one there!)  So I set out in search of a recipe that would marry the flavors of Louisiana hot sauce & lemons.  I found this recipe by Paula Deen for Fiery Cajun Shrimp, but modified it a lot to suit our tastes, and the size of the crowd.  (Her's calls for 4 sticks of butter & five pounds of shrimp!)

Project Picture:

Ingredients:
1/4 - 1/3 cups melted butter (I used Earth Balance)
1/4 tsp. liquid smoke
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 - 2 tsp. Louisiana hot sauce (I go easy on this, and let folks add more to their own portions)
2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. minced garlic from a jar)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
sprinkle of garlic powder & onion powder
pinch of cayenne pepper (I used less than 1/8 tsp.)
1 pound unpeeled medium shrimp, thawed if frozen
1 1/2 lemons, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning

Directions: Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.  Peel your shrimp if necessary, and set aside.  Melt the butter or margarine in a heat-proof glass measuring cup.  Add the liquid smoke, ground pepper, smoked paprika, oregano, hot sauce, garlic, kosher salt, and a dash each of garlic powder, onion powder & cayenne pepper.  Stir to combine.  Slice your lemons thinly.  (Mine were about 3/16 to 1/4 inch.)  Lay the lemon slices in the bottom of a baking dish.  (I used 1 1/2 lemons.  Use whatever fits your dish.)  Place your peeled shrimp on top of the lemon slices.  Pour the melted butter mixture over the top.  Sprinkle on a 1/2 tsp of Cajun seasoning, and a dash more smoked paprika if you like it.  (I love smoked paprika.)  Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice, until your shrimp are cooked through.  Serve with extra hot sauce on the side for those who like it super-spicy.  And try dipping some crusty bread into the spicy lemon-butter sauce!

As a side note, the best way to know if your shrimp are cooked is to know your A, B, C's!  If your shrimp are Uncooked, they are a U shape.  If they are perfectly Cooked they are a C shape.  If they are Overdone, they are a perfect O.

Challenge: Bertie Bott's Mini Challenge - Lemon
Project Name: Lemon & Herb French Green Beans

Brief Description: I have a whole bag of lemons in my fridge, and wanted to use them with some beautiful French Green Beans I found this week.  Since Cajun cooking is influenced by French cooking as well, I went with some classic French flavors on these.  
Project Picture:

Ingredients:
1 lb. French Green Beans
1 T. lemon juice
1-2 T. fresh chopped parsley (I used some I had frozen)
1 T. minced shallots
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 - 1 tsp. ground mustard (or whole grain prepared mustard)
1/4 tsp. salt (I used pink salt)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
zest from about half the lemon skin

Whisk together the lemon juice, parsely, shallots, olive oil, mustard, salt, pepper, & zest.  Set aside while you steam the green beans.  You can do this in a steamer basket over a pan over boiling water for 5-7 minutes, or in the microwave.  Once the beans are cooked to crisp-tender, pour on the lemon dressing and toss to coat.

Challenge: Hogsmeade Challenge
Project Name: The Three Broomsticks Famous Roasted Root Veggies

Brief Description:  Classic pub food is always warm and comforting, just like my favorite place in Hogsmeade, the Three Broomsticks.  This recipe was inspired by the friendly pub, and it's lovely mistress, Madam Rosmerta, who you just know always has something hot and comforting to offer a weary witch or wizard after a long day of traveling.  
Project Picture:

Ingredients:
2 large parsnips
2-3 large carrots
1 sweet potato
5-6 honey gold potatoes (they're small)
4-5 small red potatoes
1 shallot or very small red onion, chopped small (but not minced)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
several grinds of black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 T. dried parsley

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  (If you are making this with the shrimp recipe above, you will want to start these veggies first!)  Peel and chop your veggies into nice bite sized pieces.  (I leave the skin on my honey gold and red potatoes.)  Pour a half tablespoon of olive oil into the bottom of your roasting pan, and rub it around to coat the bottom and sides.  Add your chopped veggies.  Sprinkle on the kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.  Pour on 1 T. more olive oil and toss to coat evenly.  (I just use my clean hands to get in there and toss everything about!).  Use an additional 1/2 T. of olive oil if needed.  Roast the veggies at 400 for 30 minutes.  Stir and return to the over for another 20-30 minutes, stirring as needed.  You want the edges getting golden brown, but you don't want everything baking onto your pan forever.  Once they are out of the oven, sprinkle on the parsley, and stir again.

Notes: This recipe is very easy, and can be made with whatever you have on hand.  Try adding red or golden beets, Brussels sprouts, turnips, or anything else you have laying around!  If using Brussels sprouts however, add them to the pan 20-30 minutes into the cooking time, or they will be overdone.

Also, if you've never tried the honey gold variety of potatoes, I highly recommend them, as well as all the other varieties by Tasteful Selections.  The purple potatoes are very particularly pretty mixed into this recipe, and all of them have a wonderful smooth & creamy texture.  I find them at both Kroger and Walmart, and while they are slightly more expensive than regular red potatoes, their texture and flavor is totally worth it.  If on a busy night you don't have time to roast everything, you can also chop them, and microwave them in zip lock steamer bags, with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, garlic powder & parsley. Add a tsp. of butter after they are done cooking, and you're done with an easy side dish that looks like it took more work than it did.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013 06:02:58 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #455 on: April 07, 2013 11:32:59 AM »

Is this a ministry of magic seal?? The idea's so neat Cheesy

yhea - my first thought was to print Honeydukes logos, but I couldn't find any I liked (I'm not  a fan of the design they used for that in the films) and I'm no where near good enough on photoshop to make my own, so I thought maybe I could make something to look like it had been issued to Ministry employees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
travelgirl
« Reply #456 on: April 07, 2013 12:29:36 PM »

There seems to be quite a feast at Hogwarts today

I Just happened to take a trip to madam Puddifoots Tea shop this morning to pick up some scones

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Hogsmead challenge
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Peanut butter toffee chip scones
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: I love scones and these were born of random ingredients I had at home. I took a basic recipe and adapted it to what I had available. They came out a little flatter than what I would have liked but ah well gives me an excuse to try them again. Once I get the recipe perfected I plan on trying to convince madam Puddifoot to make them a regular item available in her tea shop
Project Picture:

as a side note noodle-bug those nails are really cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: April 07, 2013 12:42:06 PM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress....

Our newest Witch of the Week for the semester has been posted!  Be sure to check the Witch of the Week Board to find out who it is!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: April 07, 2013 12:43:21 PM »

Love the HP sweets noodle-bug!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #459 on: April 07, 2013 03:03:37 PM »

Maman, you daughter's dress is adorable!

noodle-bug, the cowl is awesome! Must be nice to live where you can wear all your handmade lovelies. It was 80 degrees today.  Sad

jennie, mmmmm...roasted root veggies...I'm coming over!

patty_o, congrats on WotW! That's one spectacular game!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 98 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing in Places of Worship - Photography Tips
Capturing Details in Architecture Photography
Bryant Austin on the Scale of a Life-Size Whale Photograph
X-Ray Art Captures Inner Beauty
Muscle & Fitness Photo Shoot With Ali Sonoma
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...