A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 98
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Spring Semester 2013~  (Read 119058 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Naantje
« Reply #870 on: May 22, 2013 12:33:44 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Charms
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Baby Hat
Brief Description:
I currently don't have any literary works to peruse while riding the train, and since I finished my NEWT yesterday, I suddenly didn't have an active crochet project either! With the remainder of my ball of yarn from the baby blanket, I hooked up a matching baby hat and applied the Meteolojinx Recanto charm to make sure it will protect my niece or nephew to be from bad weather conditions.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
jenleahlynn
« Reply #871 on: May 22, 2013 03:15:09 PM »

challenge: alchemy owl
house: gryffendor
project; watercolor portrait girl with pink cheeks

i've been working on watercolor portraits off and on over the last few months. previously colored pencils had been my prefered tool. for a previous owl i was doing a portrait of my grandmother, and ended up finishing it with pencils, so i wanted to continue studying with watercolors.

origional photograph

early versions

there are a couple more versions that i didn't photograph, or where i rinsed away and redid portions

i learned a lot about the balance between the water on the paper, in the brush, and in the paint.  i still have a lot to learn, but i'm also starting to drive myself a little nuts redoing it, so hopefully the proffesors will grade on effort, not results. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

harry potter craft along- winter semester
2013-art journal along
journal prompt swap
shop the swap winter
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #872 on: May 23, 2013 07:28:24 AM »

Excellent baby blanket and hat, Naantje! Babies are the most magical creature of all!

Your watercolor portrait is beautiful, jenleahlynn!! I'd certainly give you an A for effort and skill!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenleahlynn
« Reply #873 on: May 23, 2013 12:16:00 PM »

challenge: spew/ bertie bottss-spinach
house: gryffendor sur
project: survivor tree

I used the techniques i learned with watercolors on my owl, and this tree to express my feelings as a cancer survivor.  I really wish i had taken a better picture of it. i donated it to the silent auction at the Relay for Life for our county this weekend, and didn't think to photograph it until we were already there.

The tree is healthy and in full bloom. it's spring. but it leans heavily to one side, if you look carefully there is a missing branch extending to the right, a memory, a ghost. The tree had been struck by lightening, it was broken, scarred, and there was a loss.  With time, it healed, it grew strong, and blossomed.

in 2005, i was diagnosed with a rare cancer blocking the airway to my rightlung. To remove it, my surgeon needed to remove the entire lung and reconstruct the airway to the left.the branching of the trees, is based on diagramsn of healthy lungs.
We followed up with radiation treatments, and i have b when in remission for 8 years. Our daughters were 2, and our son a newborn we went through this. Attending relay for life events with them each year, has helped them to understand that many people survive cancer and that they don't need to be scared when i go in for check ups.

challenge:spew
house:gryffendor
project: tractor luminary

we also created luminarys to honor people who are facing cancer, or in memory of people who have died from it. This is my son with one that he and i created in memory of my grandfather. I drew his tractor, and ray colored it in. he also added the exhaust pipe that i forgot. the track where the even is held is circled in luminarys,
 you can see them across the field behind us in the group picture.  after dark a candle is placed inside and there is a ceremony where the names are read.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013 05:30:07 AM by jenleahlynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

2013-art journal along
journal prompt swap
shop the swap winter
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
Eiseldora
« Reply #874 on: May 23, 2013 11:24:03 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: March Detention
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Skirt
Brief Description: I've had the fabric for this skirt for a while, and to try and force spring to happen I decided to turn the fabric into a skirt.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: April Detention
Project Name: Snood
I've been on a Snood Kick a bit, and I decided to make one for myself to wear at SCA events. Pictured is me wearing it at a recent event.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Remember the Battle of Hogwarts
Project Name: Viking Smock
I sewed three viking tunics much like the robes that would have been worn by wizards and witches

Class/Challenge/House Pride: May Detention
Project Name: Skirt
I've wanted to finish this since my previous skirt was damaged at an event. For this I make a Red skirt hemmed and  elastic waist instead of drawstring like the previous one.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenleahlynn
« Reply #875 on: May 24, 2013 06:01:09 AM »

eiseldora-i love the border on the fabric, and the snood is really pretty.

do you sell crafts at these events or act as a character?

i must must comment on the battle of hogwarts. the wizards fought bravely, but it really bugs me how little credit the house elves got in the movie! in the book kreatcher charged out of the kitchen wearing regulus''s locket, leading an army of house elves. to be fair my battle of hogwarts project didn't feature them either. ok rant over. Smiley Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

2013-art journal along
journal prompt swap
shop the swap winter
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
jenleahlynn
« Reply #876 on: May 24, 2013 06:41:29 AM »

owl proposal- care of magical creature and spew
house-gryffendor
project- house banners (5 large and 5 small, plus....)

We had a planning meeting for vacation bible school last night. School is ending and it is barely 3 weeks away! The theme is 'kingdom rock' so the decorations have a knights and castle theme. muggle children are facinated with that stuff. if they only knew about hogwarts!

i'm going to help painting a set to look like a stone archway, but my main job is creating banners. we do 5 nights of classes and activities, and each night has an animal connected to the theme. a lion, a horse, a bulldog, a falcon, and a fox. i'm planning to make 2'x4' banners from felt with a sillouette of each animal. the animalswill either be stenciled or an applicae. these will hang inside the arches. these will be simple gold or white images on a colored background.i  think that lion really needs to be gold and red, and the falcon(maybe its really an eagle?) needs to silver on blue.......

these are from Group that created the program, but they are out of stock, so we are starting with this idea, and hopefully
 ending up with something better.

the 5 groups of kids will also be assigned an animal, so i will be making 1'x2' banners to mark their seats. if it is going well, these will also be felt, or possibly cardstock. my husband and i are teaching crafts that week, so i am also planning to make 2 of the smaller banners to hang in the windows of our classroom. if there is time i have some other fun ideas from pinterest, but this is  good place to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

2013-art journal along
journal prompt swap
shop the swap winter
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #877 on: May 24, 2013 07:08:10 AM »

Eiseldora--do you have a pattern for your snood?  it is one of the loveliest ones I have seen...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Eiseldora
« Reply #878 on: May 24, 2013 07:58:49 AM »

Thank you for your kind comments.

The sca clothes were for my first sca event.  cast on 80 for my head butI don't play a character or sell things.

Such a good point about the house elves.  It's been a while since I read the 7th book and to be honest the battle made me numb. So much death leading up to the actual battle, I believe when I got to the battle it was a chaotic scene and I could barely process how everyone I had gotten to know over the years were under attack. It wasn't until the great hall could I recognize that characters I loved had been injured or died. Its why I translated the prompt into tunics rather than a specific character.  For all the unnamed that were victims in this catastrophic event.

Pattern for the snood is in ravelry. Called knitted cotton snood.
It's a simple design. Take size 5 or 6 needles and make a 1 inch band of k2p2. (I cast on 80 for my head and 60 for a child. ) then switch to a huge needle. (17 or 13) knit one row then do one row of yo k2tog. At the top you decrease at 5 points while still alternating the pattern.

Updated with link to the pattern.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013 03:47:53 PM by Eiseldora » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #879 on: May 24, 2013 08:55:03 AM »

~*Happy Advanced Studies Friday!*~

and  Shocked LOOKOUT! ONLY ONE MORE WEEK OF SPRING SEMESTER! Shocked

I am crafting away but neglecting my Advanced Studies Undecided...I am determined to find all the horcruxes! Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 98 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hairapy Ep 106: Heidi
Hair How To: Structured Chignon
Rock Out With Cotton Candy-Colored Hair This Summer
Hairapy Ep 105: Jennifer
How to Get a Red Carpet Ready Hairdo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...