A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 306,433
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 98
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Spring Semester 2013~  (Read 174946 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #760 on: May 03, 2013 07:03:09 PM »

Casting Protection Spells and Sending Blessings of Luck
for all students taking OWLs/NEWTs

~*HAPPY ADVANCED STUDIES FRIDAY*~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: May 04, 2013 05:40:29 AM »

Nothing to report from yesterday's Advanced Studies Friday.  However, I have just completed a detention assignment, am working on completing another this morning, and *might*, just *might* get to a third one today!  All before having to go pick up groceries for an "All Shops BBQ" today.  (The Scene Shop, Costume Shop & Electrics Shop from our university are getting together to have a cookout and drink.)  Looks like the sitting around the firepit will be rained out today, so instead we're going to have a movie day, and build forts in the living room.  That's totally a legitimate use of time for college students and their professors, right?

Right???

Ok, gotta get off Craftster and find a good non-dairy based potato salad recipe....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: May 04, 2013 10:12:11 AM »

Nothing to report from yesterday's Advanced Studies Friday.  However, I have just completed a detention assignment, am working on completing another this morning, and *might*, just *might* get to a third one today! 

Strike that.  Got through 3 Detention Projects this morning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #763 on: May 04, 2013 03:28:18 PM »

Advanced Studies Friday progress and SPEW Sunday squares on a Saturday. I'm doing all kids of crazy today!

Bought memory foam and trimmed it to fit both chairs, then made pre-covers for the cushions. Need to sew them up...

SPEW squares for Ant Bee. These include the three I had made earlier, but I know I have two more around here somewhere.

It is all rainy and dark here so 'scuse the bad pics.
jennie's whipping detention into shape! You go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AugustBell

My Patronus is Grumpy Cat

« Reply #764 on: May 04, 2013 06:58:54 PM »

There are so many amazing projects here!!! I can't even keep up with everything. Pinkleo, I'm pretty obsessed with that wolf necklace! So gorgeous.

Pottermouth - I'm so happy to see that you got your hook and yarn out. YAY CROCHET!!!!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Arithmancy
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Pingu, Pingu!
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=423324.0#axzz2SNa7n600
Brief Description: My son is in love with the kid's show Pingu. It was made in the UK so items are not available for purchase here in the US. He loves it so much I had to make him one. He smiled so big and hugged him as soon as I finished. To make Pingu I combined yarn + poly-fil stuffing + craft eyes. Ta-dah!
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOVE Writing and Reading? Help bring Writing Boards to Craftster HERE
My Pinterest
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: May 05, 2013 07:41:16 AM »

Class: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: French Potato Salad (Non-Dairy & Vegan)

Brief Description: At the end of every school year the Scene Shop Manager & I put on an "All Shops Party" for the employees of the Costume, Scenic & Electrics Shops.  Ours was yesterday, and David asked if I could make a non-dairy, Jennie-friendly potato salad.  Since I've missed potato salad since becoming lactose intolerant, I was excited to take on the challenge, but didn't want to simply rely on a ton of veganized versions of things like mayo, which I don't care for anyways.  I knew there were mustard based versions out there, so I went in search of recipes.  This is a combination of a few different recipes I found from Martha Stewart, and it was delicious!  Please note the potatoes were steamed, causing a physical change, and the vinegar used in the recipe is an ingredient used by alchemists for centuries. Wink

Project Picture:

French Potato Salad
2.5 lbs small waxy potatoes, like fingerling, honey gold, ruby sensation, etc.  (See notes*)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 T stone ground mustard (See notes**)
2 T golden balsamic vinegar (or sherry or champagne vinegar, something NOT red)
1 small shallot, minced
2 green onions, sliced on the bias
3-4 T. fresh chopped parsley
1-2 tsp. dried chives
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

Slice your potatoes into evenly sized pieces.  To cook you may either boil them in a pot of generously salted water for 15 minutes (until they are tender), or do what I did and steam them in the microwave.  I use the Ziplock steamer bags, which get the potatoes tender, but not mushy or water-logged.  One full bag takes 7 minutes in the microwave.  I did this in two batches, reusing the same bag.

In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, mustard, vinegar, shallots, green onions, parsley & chives.  Season with kosher or sea salt, and freshly ground pepper.  Pour some dressing over the  potatoes, and toss to coat.  Chill for an hour or so, and add more dressing if needed.  (Potatoes will absorb some.)

Notes: For the potatoes I mixed Golden Fingerling & Ruby Sensation.  Go for something good here as it's the backbone of the recipe.  You need waxy, not starchy potatoes in this recipe.

For the mustard, go for something good here as it's the flavor-heart of the recipe.  This doesn't have to mean expensive.  I bought a jar of Kroger "Private Selections" brand fancy stone ground mustard for about $2.  The flavor is amazing. 

For the dressing: I didn't use quite all of my dressing at once, as I didn't want the potatoes drowned in it.  After an hour or two of chilling, check it.  The potatoes will have absorbed some, and you may need to pour on a pinch more.  If you have extra, it is amazing with French bread dipped in it.

Class: Herbology
Project Name: My Magical Corset

Brief Description: I had intended to post this *after* posting my History of Magic project, but alas, that one is still 2 steps away from being completed, even though it was started a month beforehand.  This is a 19th Century corset that I constructed during the workshop I taught last weekend.  Corsets, and you either know, or imagine, take a great deal of care to make well.  I have made many corsets over the years, and they are always an in-depth, nearly week-long process.  I learned this new "1 Day Corset" technique, developed by costumer Jeff Lieder, at a master class in March.  He takes the Laughing Moon Merchantile corset pattern, which normally takes me about 3 days to complete, and cuts down the build time to 1 - 1.5 days.  I did nearly all of this in 8 hours, while teaching 7 undergrad students at the same time.  I did spend a few hours the next day finishing it, with the help of Craftster Ex_Gratia, who did the fitting for me, since you can't fit a corset on yourself.  Wink It is made of coutil, a special fabric used in corsetry, with a batik fashion-fabric over it.  There is a busk for letting yourself out of it quickly.  It is about 1" too tall for me, but fits well anyways. I'll try to get a picture of me in it soon!

Project Picture:

Challenge: Detention - March
Project Name: Supernatural Charm Bracelet

Brief Description: This bracelet has been in the works for ages.  It's a custom request from a client who wanted a bracelet based on the show Supernatural.  I have only seen the first 3 episodes, so I had to work off a list of charm ideas from her.  It's been in the planning stages since February, and has been worked on, off and on, since March.  I'm thrilled to have it done and off my table!  The charms include a pistol, teddy bear, Impala, slice of pie, moose, cassette tape, skull, angel wing, pentagram, shovel, bee, computer, hell hound, police badge, Ouija board, book, and cell phone.

Project Picture:

Challenge: Detention - April
Project Name: "Sisters" Study of Ancient Runes Bracelet

Brief Description: Last autumn I made a Study of Ancient Runes Bracelet for pinkleo in the Back to Hogwarts Swap.  I used semi precious stone beads on it, and included both her favorite colors and favorite stones.  What I didn't tell her at the time, was that I had started two bracelets, and always intended them to be "sisters".  Similar, but not identical, versions of the same idea.  Something to connect us to one another across a few thousand miles when we aren't on the internet.  Something to let her know I'm there, even when I can't be. 

It has been sitting on my work table for over 6 months now, and I finally got around to putting the beads on it!  It includes the same rune charms for Happiness, Humanity, Inner Peace, Courage, Victory, Knowledge, Lifeforce, Luck, Strength, and Success. The beads however are a mix of jade to guard against accidents and misfortune, aventurine to fortify individuality and increase enthusiasm, turquoise for friendship, banded agate for strength and protection from stress, imperial jasper for grounding one to the earth, amethyst for healing and to bring sweet dreams, and dyed river shell for enhancing intuition and sensitivity and promoting cooperation within groups.  So there you are pinks, now we both have a version!

Project Picture:

Challenge: Detention - May
Project Name: Horror Movie Charm Bracelet

Brief Description: This bracelet is a graduation gift for one of my students.  Kasey is the sweetest of sweethearts.  She is kind, funny, loving, and thoughtful.  She also just so happens to be cute as cute can be, with lovely blonde hair and big blue eyes and a warm smile.  Oddly enough though, this sweet girl wants to make Horror movies for a living.  She's a Theatre major in my department, with a Film minor, and just loves bloody gorey movies.  In fact, her first movie that she bought was It, was she was 4.  She also hunts ghosts in old houses, and bought herself some ghost hunting gear.  I just know that once she breaks into the film industry, she'll be the director who shows up on set with 4 dozen brownies for the cast & crew, as well as a few extra buckets of stage blood, "just in case".  So, for Kasey I've made a Horror Film Director Bracelet.  The charms include a film clap board, deamons, cemetery gate, film reel, creepy child's handprint, crossbow, movie ticket, zombie foot, human heart, wicker man, kitchen knife, directors chair, and words like "paranormal investigator", "I <3 Horror", "Zombie Hunter", and "Redrum".  I can't wait to give it to her at our department banquet on Tuesday night!

Project Picture:

And just so everyone can tell that there really were to *separate* red/black/grey bracelets, here's a thumbnail of all of the bracelets on my little table.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreakieGeekie
Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

« Reply #766 on: May 05, 2013 05:05:25 PM »

Jennie, you make the most awesome bracelets. I'm with Kasey on the horror movies! They're the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

@deviantart
Pinterest
Projects in 2016: 5/50
Mamaneedles
)O( * &#2384;

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #767 on: May 05, 2013 07:24:26 PM »

My kids love Pingu too! Smiley

So many awesome things! And new challenges! (yay for me!)

I'm spending the week at my mom's, which has a little bit of craft supplies, but not much. I did however bring my OWL supplies so it's pretty likely it'll be what I will work on this week.

So sorry for being quite low profile last week, I'm SO drained by the growing baby in my belly, and the two older babies that need their moms still!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog! (and where I sell my dolls!)
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

« Reply #768 on: May 05, 2013 08:25:21 PM »

The Sunday S.P.E.W. Review

Your Hogwarts chapter of S.P.E.W. says a big thank you to all who wrangled reading material for the Accio Books challenge- well done all!

Yarny squares were posted this week by both Pinkleo and Pottermouth (no ambush of S.P.E.W. P.o.P.s for you two! Nice!)
And the tastiest S.P.E.W. post goes to Patty-O for the sweet Strawberry Lollies. Move over Bertie Botts, theres a new candy-maker in town!

As always, we invite everyone to find small ways throughout the week to bring a smile or support to others. It doesnt take much to turn someones day around for the better. And the bonus is: It makes the givers day better, too. 

Happy Crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Naantje
« Reply #769 on: May 06, 2013 01:07:17 AM »

I've been making more progress on my OWL than I would have wished for Sad My grandmother has been admitted to hospital with a bowel obstruction caused by a tumor. She's 92, so any operations etc. are very high risk. Today, they're trying to place a stent with a very short, light anaesthetic, but they're in no way sure if it will work or not. If it doesn't, they'll need to do a bigger, a lot riskier surgery. Saturday morning, they said she still had 4 days to a week to live if they can't unblock her bowels... I've been sitting at her bedside a lot, crocheting the blanket, my mother on the other side of the bed, handstitching decorations on a dress for my niece, while grandma takes her naps. Just so there's somebody there when she opens her eyes. She's still got all her wits about her, so she's very aware of everything.

I'm really frustrated by one thing in the hospital: the single (and even double) rooms were all taken, so my grandmother is in a room with 4 people. Nursing staff is being very strict about the visiting hours, and I suppose that's necessary when there's so many people in one room, but visiting hours are only 14.00 to 20.00, so that means my grandmother is forced to be alone three quarters of the time! She's terrified, and we're not even allowed in to comfort her...

She's really proud though, when we're all sitting there with our needles and hooks. She's very proud that we are all skilled to do that, and she says this way, at least something will come out of her stay in hospital. It also keeps us calm (not only noise-wise, towards the rest of the patients, but also calms the mind) and that in turn calms her too. She knows she can just sleep and we'll be there when she wakes up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 98 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Prom Dress Styles
What to Wear To The Gym
The Right Way to Knot a Crop Top
In The Style Of: Helen Mirren
2015 Met Gala: The Most Talked About Looks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Your Own Patron Saint
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...