A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,595
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper Sources in Vancouver?  (Read 2493 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mew
« on: July 04, 2005 09:15:11 PM »

I've gotten more into paper crafts such as bookbinding and collage, and was wondering if anyone could recommend places in Vancouver to get nice papers.
So far I haven't seen much, and buying online doesn't seem to be that much of an option, since most of the places I've looked at are in the States, so shipping is astronomical.

I've really been looking for patterned papers, and tissue papers, but I'm not having luck finding any large assortments. Single sheets of scrapbooking paper can end up as kind of expensive, and dollar stores carry rather pitiful assortments of tissue paper...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
westcoastchica
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005 01:38:50 AM »

I suggest Paper-Ya on Granville Island (in the Net Loft). I haven't been there in a while, but they have a TON of beautiful papers, journals, origami books, cards, etc. There's a whole bunch of drawers with absolutely stunning tissue papers, some with patterns, odd fibers.. I highly recommend it!!! Here's a link to their website, you can browse their selection. [url]http://www.paper-ya.com[\url]

I hope you find what you're looking for!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

foxlady
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005 03:42:40 PM »

There's a really cool store between 15th and 16th on the East side of Main. I think it's called Urban Source. Lots of cool paper and other odds and ends for cheap! I love going there, good for scrapbooks, collage and other stuff like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catchstars
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005 02:04:54 PM »

If you don't mind going all the way out to New Westminster, Paper Poet on Columbia (and 8th, I believe), has a good selection. I'm Impressed (in New Westminster Quay and on Granville Island), has a small selection as well. If you're looking for cute origami prints, Daiso in Richmond (on Cambie and No. 3) has packs of origami paper for $2.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starpiste
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005 06:12:09 PM »

Loomis Art supply has a good selection. They haveseveral locations (4th ave near ganville island I think, and near main and terminal).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dawnelicious
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005 03:41:19 PM »

I second Westcoastchica, Paper-Ya is really good. The owner is a bookbinder herself, so can answer many questions. Opus, (on Granville Island) is a great source for paper too. They carry all kinds of drawing paper, and many types of specialty paper too. They have basic book binding stuff - like chicago screws, thread, glues, book board.

Happy binding!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corin
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005 11:20:40 PM »

definatly that place in grandville island
i dont know the name but it must be that place everyone is talking about
i was just there recently on canada day i spent a good 30 mins in there or so
i loove it
definatly check that place out
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oso Crafty
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005 03:58:06 PM »

If you take the Sea Bus over to North Van, right at the bottom of Lonsdale (a quick walk from the Sea Bus) is a Art Supply Store - Petrov's.  I haven't been there in a while but they have a ton of stuff.  Be sure to look in all the paper cabinets that's where they keep all the parent sheets of Japanese, Italian, Watercolor, Mulberry etc paper.  Be forewarned............the owners are a bit on the quirkly side so ask first before opening the sacred drawers or you may be yelled at (I'm not kidding).  Long live paper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluestar

twinkle twinkle

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005 09:41:34 AM »

Yeah, Urban Source on Main Street is very cool.  It's on Main at 15th, just south of Heritage Hall.  It has a lot of recycled materials, but also some new.  I agree that it would be best for collage type work, but they have some new paper stuff, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roisin
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006 06:27:33 PM »

I was in Paper-Ya for the first time today and it is absolutely brilliant - I second that recommendation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Teaching Art Students Creative Career Skills
How Curiosity Stimulates Creativity
Strange Taxidermy Art Back From The Dead
March 17th: Hit Song Hangover
Noisemakers On Noisevox: The Kissaway Trail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...