A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to decrease neck hole and arm holes in pattern? Simplicity 2917  (Read 569 times)
Tags for this thread: simplicity_2917  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2013 11:04:52 AM »

Hoping someone can help...

I recently made Simplicity 2917 variant c and d. (It's the one with the red/pink dress not the vintage with the green dress that pops up in google: http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/19039 ). I made the shirt from a rather thin cotton print and the dress from a very light flannel. I made it to my measurements too. Neither fabric really has any stretch to it, and both have been washed and are not stiff.

Basically, the neck is too big. So are the armholes. I made the shirt first, I ended up having to remove the zipper panel and add darts to the bust area at the arms to make those not gap either. The dress, I changed the pattern a little to try and fix that. First I shortened the back centre the 4 or so inches I had to take in

I know the pattern is supposed to sit far out on the shoulders but on me it is slipping off. And if I sit, it gapes open on both items.

And, I don't need the zipper on the dress either.. I can slip it on over my head. I did convert the zipper to a side lapped zipper (because I hate zipping up my back!) I'm thinking they are just too big, but I followed directions and made true to size. Do their patterns always run this loose?

I'm going to alter the dress to fit.. but how in the heck do I fix the over-wide neck? And what would be the best way to alter the pattern pieces? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
AlenaSelene
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013 02:05:51 PM »

To make the neck opening smaller, on any new garments from this pattern, you can 1- extend the shoulder seams inward towards the neck, then redraw the neckline OR 2- take the pattern in at the front and back seams, add back any needed width at the side seams.

To make the neck opening smaller on an existing garment, you might be able to do option #2 above. If not, I'd make a dickie or fake undertop in a matching solid color and snap it to the underside of the too large neckline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Boost Your Roots For Fine or Thick Hair
3 Spring Styles to Inspire Your Next Haircut
Osis Dust It Mattifying Powder Review
How to Do a Half Up Long Hair Updo
How to Pick Long Hair Care Products
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...