A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,219
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: World of Warcraft Troll Costume (Tutorial)  (Read 592 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starlasangue
« on: February 25, 2013 05:55:38 AM »

Hi there! This is my first post here so I hope I'm doing this right. Roll Eyes
So I'm a larper and my boyfriend organizes a Warcraft LARP. I'm from Hungary, which isn't an excuse for me being poor as hell but it's kind of an explanation. I don't have the money to buy expensive utensils for crafting so I always try to use the cheapest kind of materials with the highest rate of effectiveness - and it usually works.
In summer I will play a troll witchdoctress at the larp and I decided to start with the costume as soon as possible and to make something like a tutorial to show how I get stuff done.

So, here it comes.
THE TROLL VOODOO MASK

The mask base.
What I used:
  • cardboard paper, the thin kind
  • a ruler
  • pencil and eraser
  • x-acto knife and scissors
  • ducktape

The measurements.I think it's pretty obvious from the picture which sizes I checked on my face and used later on.
(Everything is measured in cm.)

The bad prototype. I used this to see what my mask base will have to look like. The eyeholes went totally askew and the nose was terrible, too. But I learned from my mistake.

the annoying furball.He is an important part of the process. Always.

The outlines. This is where to cut out.

Now here's two noses. The nose
I messed it up the first time. Now, the upper nose shape is the good one. As it will 'come out' of the mask, the sides have to be a bit wider. The dotted lines are the edges of the area which is exactly the same size as the drawn nose on the outlines. As you can see, I added some space.

The nose done right. As you can see, I fixed it. I used thin cut ducktape to attach the 'wing' parts to the inner side of the mask. For the shape of the nose I made a thin cut on the middle line with my x-acto knife. I din't cut it through, just enough so it will bend nicely. I did the same thing with the middle of the head/forehead piece, as you will see in the last picture. This has to be done so the mask will fit my face.

Now the paper base is ready!
This is the finished version of the paper base.

I will continue to upload photos and decsriptions as I work on the mask. The next part will be how to stabilize the base from the inner side, and then I will start with the coating.

I hope you have enjoyed it so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shooting For Black and White
Painting With Light: Outdoors
Converting Images to Black and White
Selective Blurring
Photography Tips - How to Prevent Blur
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...