A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How long does it take you to make a bag? Suggestions?  (Read 1282 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ntaga
« on: February 24, 2013 03:53:53 AM »

I just read an article about a woman who makes handbags and sells them. She says it takes her 2-3 hours to make one.  The accompanying photo shows a fairly simple tote style purse.  I'm thinking, "What's wrong with me?  I've never made a bag that quickly and I've been sewing for 40 years."  It takes me about 2 hours just to cut out and interface...granted, I usually interface every piece and add tons of pockets.  It takes more time if the bag is complicated. I'm just curious what your experience is and would love your suggestions for making bag projects go faster - especially the cutting out/interfacing part.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013 05:52:00 AM by ntaga » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013 09:22:29 AM »

It probably has a lot to do with how familiar you are with the pattern, if you know any 'short cuts', etc etc.  For a simpler, small bag, with no pockets, zipper (still haven't tried that honestly), or anything extra, it can take me under 2 hours - maybe under 1 if I just got going and did it and didn't procrastinate.  But for a more complicated bag with pockets, pleats, fasteners, etc, it would definitely take me longer.

Honestly, the cutting and interfacing is my least favorite part of bag making. Sad  Do you always make a different type of bag each time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's time to enter your favorite breakfast recipes in the Get 'Em Up Breakfast Recipe Challenge!  Post Nov. 23- Nov. 30!  Vote Dec. 1-7!
ntaga
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013 09:31:41 AM »

Thanks for your response. I think the need to fiddle with a pattern is part of the problem.  If a tote calls for a simple pocket, I want to make it a zipper pocket.  If it calls for handles sandwiched between the lining, I have to add  purse rings.  And I seldom make the same bag twice. When I do, the second time goes faster.  Still, cutting and interfacing are the same regardless and are my least favorite parts of the process. I would love to know what others do to streamline it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
texscrapper

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013 06:57:20 PM »

If it's just the tote bag - no embroidery - It takes me about an hour from start to finish. I think the reason it goes so quickly is because I've made so many. In the beginning it took me 2 - 2.5 hours to complete the bag. Now after making nearly 40 of these bags, I can whip one out in a hour Smiley
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013 03:41:29 AM by kaz814 - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster rules. :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for personal swaps! Longing for a "Muffin Man" type poppet for
my son.

2014 Crafts
50 Projects in 2014 - 15/50
De-stash Projects Completed - 25

Total Projects in 2014: 40
Swap Packages Sent: 14
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013 10:18:38 AM »

It always takes me a long time to make anything, especially the cutting out part. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013 06:01:55 AM »

The only way I get to speed up the cutting process is to layer the bag fabric, lining fabric and interfacing for the main body and cut them out all together. Everything else is, sorry to say, annoyingly piecemeal. I hardly ever make the same bag twice. What's the fun in that? I don't understand these sellers who make the same dang bag over and over and over and over... ugh. But that's how they can do it in less time. Pick yer own poison.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013 09:26:02 AM »

Cutting out all the pieces is my least favorite part of bag making, so I do it while watching the tele. It probably slows me down as I stop to pay attention to the interesting parts, but it makes the time fly by.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
AshtonagoL
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013 11:03:22 AM »

Forever!  I am super slow I guess.  I do feel that I am a little faster once I've made the bag before but I rarely make anything in 2-3 hours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Chic Ways to Rock Winter Pastels
Top Fashion and Style Trends of 2013
Beautiful Christmas Day Makeup
How to Style a Glam Holiday Hairdo
Opt for a Tuxedo as an Alternative to the LBD
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...