A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
799 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My very first hand-bound book! (very detailed post, lots of pics ;D)  (Read 7414 times)
Tags for this thread: handbound , sketchbook , featured_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013 06:38:30 PM »

Wow.  My husband took a class in bookbinding this past fall when he was in Lima (Per).  He was so excited about it and when he came back home to Houston, he was binding up weird stuff (to practice?).  It is really neat.  I can't wait to show him the level that you have taken your project to.  Very impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
cinnajess
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013 11:07:06 PM »

This is truly lovely!!

I made a (lazy art school project) sketchbook awhile back that used different papers shuffled together (like you, I get bored easily) - and while it was/is completely awesome, I ended up getting frustrated with the way it would always open to certain pairings of paper - black and vellum, for example - so I ended up reshuffling them so all the types were together. Fortunately (but tackily), I used a binder, what with whole art school last minute crisis situation. (Note to self: that ghetto-fied sketchbook would make a good Craftster post)

I have a feeling that your beautifully classically bound pages will NOT have that same problem!

I LOVE the cover!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013 10:21:42 PM »

Wow! You did such a great job on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
edelweiss72
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013 06:07:01 PM »

I've never bound a book so I have no tips for you but I sure do love what you have done here! Fantastic work. I would be so happy to have something like that, I may have to try it too.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarad
The Raddest

Were you saying boo or Boo-urns?

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013 07:55:13 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous! It looks old fashioned, in a really good way. I love the buckle/strap on the front!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty? Like a fox my friend. Like a FOX!
hoppy

she's crafty, she gets around...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013 08:45:44 AM »

I think you did an amazing job! This book is always going to have such special meaning to you, even if you make 100 more. Make sure to fill it up with your artwork!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunnyDawn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013 05:03:33 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous, you just have such a nice touch with everything you do!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dawn Milburn
St. Louis, MO
sunnydawne@gmail.com
apis_melis
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013 07:44:27 PM »

Great work! You should be very proud of yourself.

The cover looks beautiful. Think of the water stain as a positive: now that something has already happened to it, you can carry it around without worrying about messing it up (this is a variation on my friend's "first dent" theory of cars).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013 08:20:11 PM »

Very nice!!  I'm into journals again these days, so I'm really noticing the work others are doing.  Yours is exceptional.

Aww, thanks Grin. I got into art journaling with the journal prompt swap and a blog called A Year in the Life of an Art Journal. It's pretty good--- you should check it out.

Gorgeous,I would love to have smething like that.Really special.

Thanks so much. It was really fun to make and already has such sentimentality attached to it.

Wow.  My husband took a class in bookbinding this past fall when he was in Lima (Per).  He was so excited about it and when he came back home to Houston, he was binding up weird stuff (to practice?).  It is really neat.  I can't wait to show him the level that you have taken your project to.  Very impressive!

I would LOVE to take a class in bookbinding! I really want to get better. I've seen some really cool journals made up of scraps of paper, receipts, pictures, etc. that people have lying around. I really want to do one like that sometime.

This is truly lovely!!

I made a (lazy art school project) sketchbook awhile back that used different papers shuffled together (like you, I get bored easily) - and while it was/is completely awesome, I ended up getting frustrated with the way it would always open to certain pairings of paper - black and vellum, for example - so I ended up reshuffling them so all the types were together. Fortunately (but tackily), I used a binder, what with whole art school last minute crisis situation. (Note to self: that ghetto-fied sketchbook would make a good Craftster post)

I have a feeling that your beautifully classically bound pages will NOT have that same problem!

I LOVE the cover!!!

I have to say, I really like the idea of a three-ring binder type setup. It would be really cool to be able to switch papers around if my feelings about them changed. You should make a topic so I can check it out!

Wow! You did such a great job on this.

Thanks Smiley I love the feedback it's getting. I really didn't expect to have such good results my first time.

I've never bound a book so I have no tips for you but I sure do love what you have done here! Fantastic work. I would be so happy to have something like that, I may have to try it too.  Grin

Thanks so much Tongue It was a lot of fun to do, and very rewarding. You should try it! It wasn't as hard as I expected, and there are plenty of tutorials on the internet for all levels.

Absolutely gorgeous! It looks old fashioned, in a really good way. I love the buckle/strap on the front!

I'm happy you like the buckle. My art teacher told me it looked like I wrapped a belt around it  Roll Eyes I really wanted a weathered look, so I'm glad it came through that way. Thanks!

I think you did an amazing job! This book is always going to have such special meaning to you, even if you make 100 more. Make sure to fill it up with your artwork!

I really hope to keep this book for a long time, even drawing in it in college. I think it will be a good thing to have in my portfolio, since it is one of the easier things to carry with me, and both the book and the drawings inside are mine. It only has one sketch so far, but I'm working on more Tongue

Absolutely gorgeous, you just have such a nice touch with everything you do!!

Awww, thanks, SunnyDawn. You're the best. I love your work too!

Great work! You should be very proud of yourself.

The cover looks beautiful. Think of the water stain as a positive: now that something has already happened to it, you can carry it around without worrying about messing it up (this is a variation on my friend's "first dent" theory of cars).

LOL. I need to tell that to my mom. My car has a rather large dent on the left fender from an unfortunate incident between my Sunfire and our diesel pickup. I had taken my car (in the dark and rain, mind you) through a maze of trucks and trailers (my dad is a trucker and a hoarder Grin) to get to the horse barn so I could see, and couldn't get back out as easily haha.

I've grown to like the watermark. And like you said, I'm not that apprehensive about what's going to happen to it. Thanks for the feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
milksmom
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013 08:07:47 AM »

Quite impressive!!! *2 thumbs up*

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips And Tricks For Summer Legs
Three Tips For Oily Summer Skin
How to Take Your Makeup Off
3D-Printed Makeup Is Ready To Transform Your Beauty Routine
The Latest Eye Makeup and Eyewear Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...