A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My very first hand-bound book! (very detailed post, lots of pics ;D)  (Read 7802 times)
Tags for this thread: handbound , sketchbook , featured_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 22, 2013 01:53:32 PM »

**UPDATE: IT'S DONE!!! I have the endpapers in, and that means it's finished (with the exception of corners still)! There was one unfortunate issue involving water, but it worked out for the best, I think.**

YAY!! I'm so excited! I finally, mostly finished the giant hand-bound sketchbook I've been putting off!
I say mostly because I still need endpapers, and I have nickel corner protectors coming too.

This book is meant to be a sketchbook. I love art and I love to sketch, but I often find myself forgoing my designated 'sketchbook' to draw on loose paper or the sides of my homework. I feel that there are two reasons for this:

1. I easily get bored with the same blank white paper all the time. I find it hard to get inspired unless I already have an idea.
2. I tend to get cheaper sketchbooks because I know I'll carry them with me everywhere and they're going to get beat up. It's a bit backwards because a better quality book would hold up longer, but I'm so afraid of 'ruining' a nice one

For a sketchbook, it's pretty darn big. The text block is 81/2" x 11" (the size of regular printer paper) and is about an inch thick. Here is some math for you:

12 signatures
4 papers per signature
When folded, that is 8 pages per signature
If I used both sides (which I will), I get 16 pages per signature
Multiply to get 192
Subtract two, because I glued the outside face of the last page of the first and last signatures to the cover
That's 190 pages!!!!

6 of the signatures are a mix:
  Two different weights of watercolor paper (some of the lighter weight has rainbow edges)
  Cream drawing paper
  White drawing paper
  Vellum
  Black paper (not construction, something else)
  Some strange smooth white poster paper my teacher had

The other half is 98 lb mixed media paper. I staggered one in between each signature of mixed paper. I thought that way I could solve the boredom problem, but I would also have a majority of 'regular' paper in case I wanted to do my normal art.

I stitched them together with some random stitch I don't know the name of. Here is a diagram I made, if someone can tell me what it is it would be much appreciated! I used waxed brown thread made for leather.

This is the pattern it made:

I then glued the spine. True bookbinders might kill me, but I used hot glue, because it was the only kind I had that dried flexible. It's working out pretty good so far. Then I added a piece of canvas to the spine.

I made headbands from silver and blue embroidery thread for visual interest.

I used deerhide dyed with acorn brown Ecoflo leather dye and illustration board for the cover. I sewed on a nickle buckle to hold it all shut, then used Ecoflo leather glue to glue it all together. When I added the textblock, I used the leather glue to attach the canvas flaps, then the first and last page of the outside signatures, just to make it stronger. I still need to marble some endpapers, and I have ordered some nickel corner protectors to cover the bad joins at the corners.

Now that I've bored you all to death, here are the pics!

(before headband)

My favorite weird page is a layer of vellum over a rainbow watercolor page. I think I'll have lots of fun with this one!

More in-progress pictures if you're interested:

**UPDATED PICS**
Here are the endpapers. I bought this wonderful paper at Ben Franklin in Oconomowoc while we were there for my aunt's surprise 50th b-day party. It was too delicate to stand alone, though, so I glued them to the first page for some support. The gold is very iridescent, I love it  Cheesy

Front cover:

Back cover:

Views when closed:

I also had to do another coat of dye. My mom's water bottle leaked all over the cover on the way home and the dye ran, making this splotchy yellow spot and a dark watermark. Everyone seems to think it gives it character, though I miss the old look, personally Sad Oh well. What can you do?

C&C is welcome and appreciated! I'm very happy with how this bookbinding attempt went, but I'd love some tips from more experienced binders. I definitely don't know everything Grin

Thanks!
Sadie
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013 02:10:30 PM by leather and lace - Reason: more pics, update » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013 02:15:34 PM »

I love it Smiley  Very well made, and your first attempt no less. I should make one for my son.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013 02:29:04 PM »

Beautiful! I love the cover! So pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mcbeth
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013 03:15:17 PM »

You did a really good job, nice work. I won't judge you for the hot glue, don't worry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDaytimeHeroes
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013 08:37:28 PM »

This is awesome! I made my first hand-bound book this week!
I absolutely love your idea of having different types of paper, I'm an artist and I totally understand the getting bored thing. This book will allow you to fill out all your ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This message will self-destruct.

Originals, prints and feather paintings!
My Etsy shop--> http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheDaytimeHeroes?ref=si_shop
Deviantart --> http://kodriak.deviantart.com/

~<3
PaperBeau
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013 02:34:44 AM »

Wowwwweeee! That is incredible! Must have taken you hours and hours of love Cheesy

I love that you were able to put the papers that inspire you into such a great book. Wonderful stuff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013 06:41:07 AM »

I love how it turned out - nicely done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013 07:15:42 AM »

I love it Smiley  Very well made, and your first attempt no less. I should make one for my son.

Thank you Smiley I was very worried about ruining the leather or something, but it just seemed to work out pretty well. I bet your son would love a book you made.

Beautiful! I love the cover! So pretty!
Yeah, I really liked how the dyre brought out the scars and imperfections on the leather, and it's already starting to fade on the edges. I love the well-loved look. Thanks!

You did a really good job, nice work. I won't judge you for the hot glue, don't worry.
I was really worried about using it! I couldn't find anything on the internet that specifically said not to use it, but none that recommended it either. It just said it needed to be flexible, so I decided to go for it. Thanks for the wonderful comment and the no-judgement Tongue

This is awesome! I made my first hand-bound book this week!
I absolutely love your idea of having different types of paper, I'm an artist and I totally understand the getting bored thing. This book will allow you to fill out all your ideas!

Thanks so much, and oh my god, I LOVE your work!!! I did the Facebook raffle for that painting Grin It's nice to know even super-artistic people get bored too, because sometimes I feel like I'm not as artsy as people think I am, since I can't even think of a simple sketch. I'd love to see your book. Did you make a thread for it?

Wowwwweeee! That is incredible! Must have taken you hours and hours of love Cheesy

I love that you were able to put the papers that inspire you into such a great book. Wonderful stuff
Thanks Smiley It took a lot longer than I meant it to, mostly because I had to use huge sheets of 18" x 24" paper for the pages, and I only got 2 pages each, so I needed about 24 sheets of big paper for the whole thing. It got expensive! I did finally get a huge bound thing of mixed media paper with 30 sheets for $13, and then I was able to finish it. So yes, there is a lot of love--- and a lot of money--- in this ! I'm glad you like it Smiley

I love how it turned out - nicely done.
Thanks you! I'm so glad you guys approve--- Craftster is the best place to get feedback Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013 06:37:52 PM »

Very nice!!  I'm into journals again these days, so I'm really noticing the work others are doing.  Yours is exceptional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Andrea_c

Crafting is life's engine.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013 04:29:07 PM »

Gorgeous,I would love to have smething like that.Really special.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephen McCauley Talks About Insignificant Others
Brendan McNally Reveals His Best Quality
Amy Reed Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Chris Evans Talks About The Iron Elves Series
Lisa Lampanelli is Funny
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...