A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY laundry "tabs" - quick, cheap, easy, MCS friendly! *pic light* ;D  (Read 3129 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chickybiker
« on: February 22, 2013 10:04:13 AM »

Et voila!

All you need is some bar soap, some washing soda crystals, water, and that's about it!  It works really well, it's all I have used to wash our clothes for months now. 

There's a really mild scent of the soap in the box these live in, but your clothes are virtually scent free (assuming you don't use essential oils, that is), and would be totally scent free if you used unscented soap.  I guess it just depends on whether you have MCS* or not, and if so, to what degree.

I have MCS, but not to the point of needing a mask - although I have had perfume make me sick once while out shopping and walking by a woman who I think took a bath in it!   Roll Eyes

You don't need a softener either! 

I wrote out destructions on how to make it on my blog: http://snottydog.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/eco-friendly-washing-tabs/

Hope that helps someone.  Smiley

(*Multiple Chemical Sensitivities.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013 10:49:36 AM »

Awesome! They are super cute, too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
twisted5whispers
Knit knit knit

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013 09:09:50 PM »

That is really awesome! I've been looking into using homemade soap for laundry. Do you have to use a little bag to hold the "tabs" in the washer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in doing personal swaps! I can knit, crochet and sew. Smiley
chickybiker
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013 09:40:55 AM »

Awesome! They are super cute, too! Smiley

Thanks MareMare!  Smiley

That is really awesome! I've been looking into using homemade soap for laundry. Do you have to use a little bag to hold the "tabs" in the washer?

Thanks, twisted5whispers, yes, I use the little mesh one in the pic, on the left.  It's from a bought box of washing tabs from a friend.  They used to have one per pack, so there were plenty.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dingle
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013 09:33:36 AM »

This is a great idea! I'm going to try these out and maybe add them to my Christmas hodgepodge of homemade things I give to people every year. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickybiker
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013 07:08:19 AM »

This is a great idea! I'm going to try these out and maybe add them to my Christmas hodgepodge of homemade things I give to people every year. =)

Thanks dingle!  Hope it goes okay, if you do some and you're able, post pictures, I'd love to see how yours turn out. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kythcat
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013 10:10:13 AM »

I like this idea.  But was wondering, do they dissolve completely in the first round of washing?  So far, all my experiments  show that the soap won't "melt" unless using extreme hot water, so I've been using homemade liquid soap instead.  But I know someone that would love this recipe for her sensitive kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickybiker
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013 07:42:01 AM »

I like this idea.  But was wondering, do they dissolve completely in the first round of washing?  So far, all my experiments  show that the soap won't "melt" unless using extreme hot water, so I've been using homemade liquid soap instead.  But I know someone that would love this recipe for her sensitive kids.

Hi kythcat,

I have found that if the chunks are bigger than a dishwasher tablet they sometimes leave a little chunk in the bag, but that's easily remedied by cutting it up smaller.

I use them at 40 and even 30, and with small pieces they usually dissolve.

Even if they don't I just leave them in the bag and add another for the next load. It's not been a problem. Smiley

Another way around it might be to add another pint of water at the melting stage, but I'm not sure if you'd still get tabs then, or goo! But it'll still wash clothing really well.

Hope that helps?

I might try the extra water myself in the next batch. If I do I'll let you know how I get on. :-)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013 06:37:35 AM »

Those look awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chickybiker
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013 07:56:14 AM »

Those look awesome!!!

Thank you pollyprissypants, they really are - not only have I saved a small fortune financially, but I've also saved myself from all those nasty chemicals that are in the commercial stuff, too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Out Backcombed Hair
How to Straighten Curly Hair
How to Cut Hair with Clippers
How to Blow Dry Black Hair
How to Make a Bump in Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...