A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From a boxy men's t-shirt to a women's modern and fitted, rock and roll top  (Read 3161 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , tshirt_recon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

creepergirl
« on: February 21, 2013 12:02:48 PM »

Man, am I obsessed with taking my old tees and finally making them into something more flattering that I can wear.  I like this style a lot with the wider neck, slim cut and banded hem so lately, all my refashioned tees are of the same style.

This is my first sewing tutorial so I wrote it out so a beginner can hopefully use it too Smiley  I hope these directions are clear.  If not, please let me know.

Materials needed:
The boxy tee you want to refashion
Your favorite shirt
Knit fabric
Sewing machine Smiley

1.  Flatten out the shirt you want to remake and smooth out the wrinkles as much as you can.  This helps to make sure the cuts are more even for the front and back.
Ignore the wrinkles on my shirt.

2.  Once your shirt is smoothed, cut open the sides.

3.  Bring the top layer up so the bottom is exposed and smooth out the wrinkles on the bottom.  Lay the front back down and smooth out again. I know this step seems redundant but trust me.  Sometimes, after you cut the sides and smooth each layer, you'll notice the fabric is uneven.  

FYI, I don't think t-shirts are made perfect.  It seems like t-shirts do not have sides seams and are not always sewn smoothly by the manufacturer. I've noticed with some shirts that no matter how even it looks after you smooth it out, once you cut the sides and smooth again, there's always excess fabric on the back layer.  It's almost like more fabric was used for the back than the front.  The first couple of shirts I made ended up a bit more on the snug side because I didn't realize the shirts were manufactured unevenly.

4.  Lay your favorite shirt on top of the boxy tee, placing the collars as close together as possible.  If you like the length of your favorite shirt, use it as the guide to how long you want your refashioned tee to be.  Keep in mind, we will be adding about two inches or so to the cut hem with a banded hem.  I like my shirt pre-band hem to hit right over my pooch so the finished product is a little bit longer.

Save the bottom strip if it's at least 3 inches tall.  If not, discard or save for a future project   

5.  Using your favorite shirt as a guide and giving an inch seam allowance, cut the sides off and part of the sleeve off.  I like my sleeves to be more slim fitting so if you like more arm room, you may want to measure first how big you want your sleeves to be and make the cut accordingly.  

I placed the cut strip from the left side on top of right side to use as a guide for a more even cut.

Your shirt should look like this now:

6.  Now for the collar.  Keep in the mind, the wider the cut, the wider the collar will be.  I like my collar on the wide side so if you don't, you can use the existing collar as a guide.  It's easier to snip a little more off to make it wider than vice versa Smiley
Cut it off!

7.  Now for the banded hem.  If the strip from the shirt is at least 4 inches in height, perfect! If not, cut two strips from your knit fabric the same width as the bottom of the shirt but 4 inches high. Cut the strip the same size as the bottom of the shirt.

8.  Sew up the short ends so you end up with a tube.  At this point, the tube will end slightly smaller than the bottom of the shirt.  This is what you want.

9.  Now you open up the tube and fold the top edge to meet the bottom edge.  Like this:

You want your band to be slightly smaller than your shirt.     

10.  Flip your shirt inside out and starting with one sleeve, match up the edges so they are even.  Using a straight stitch, starting from the sleeve, backstitch, sew down the shirt and backstitch again.  Do the same for the other side.

I forgot to take pictures of this step but your shirt should be inside out before you stitch so ignore the fact this picture was taken after it was sewn Smiley   

11.  Flip your shirt right side out again.  This is what you should have now:

Now, take the tube and place it outside the tee where it's "hugging" the shirt.  Like this:

Pin the tube seam to seam with the shirt and center to center.  You should have some loose fabric from the shirt in between the pins.  Using a zigzag stitch, sew the edges together, while stretching the band to "fit" the shirt.  

If you are using the tube made from your shirt, place the visible hem facing out.  Once the tube is sewn on, it will end up on the inside Smiley

This is what you should have now:

12.  Iron the hem to flatten it out some and you are done!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013 09:26:43 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013 12:39:17 PM »

That is a great tutorial.I'm going to tag this as tutorial so more can find it in the tag cloud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
creepergirl
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013 12:52:18 PM »

That is a great tutorial.I'm going to tag this as tutorial so more can find it in the tag cloud.

Thanks so much!  I've been a member for a couple of years but still newish to posting Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013 01:28:36 PM »

Great tute! Thanks for sharing! I love a boatneck or any kind of wider neck on a shirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
creepergirl
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013 02:04:35 PM »

Great tute! Thanks for sharing! I love a boatneck or any kind of wider neck on a shirt!

Me too!  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013 03:55:12 PM »

Oh, wanted to comment, your 'Engrish' is great. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
creepergirl
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013 04:44:03 PM »

Oh, wanted to comment, your 'Engrish' is great. LOL

LOL! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013 06:08:45 PM »

great tute!  I have so many large Ts that I've wanted to alter, and purchased for that purpose at the second hand store. I can't wait to try your tutorial!! Very easy to understand. Thank you Smiley

One question? you hem the neck line?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
creepergirl
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013 06:25:10 PM »

One question? you hem the neck line?

Thank you!  Would love to see your versions Smiley  As for the neckline, I did not hem mine as I like the raw edges look but this is the tutorial that was partly my inspiration and she hems her neckline similar to how the banded hem was done. The directions for the hem is towards the bottom of her post Smiley
http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2012/02/make-a-simple-top-dolman-style-with-banded-bottom.html

btw, i just realized it was your sock monkey tute that was sent out thru email the other day.  i have the email saved so i can attempt it Smiley
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013 06:30:50 PM by creepergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Orchid
How to Fold an Origami Lily Flower
How to Fold an Origami Bunny Rabbit
How to Fold an Origami Butterfly
How to Fold an Origami Cherry Blossom
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...