A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,538
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Launching a children's craft business - looking for advice  (Read 521 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kassya
« on: February 20, 2013 09:39:38 PM »

Hi,
My name is Kassya and I am the co-founder of a Canadian company called MyHibou. We sell and distribute craft crates geared toward 5-10 year olds with creative learning in mind.

Looking for advice on effective self-promotion - albeit we are a registered business we operate from our homes and need guidance in marketing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013 09:35:18 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013 05:32:44 PM »

How fun, and how exciting! A combination of useful and fun with a variety of ways to promote it. Looks like you have 2 different targets, individuals and educators. It's easier to go where the kids are, and that's in schools. I would make up a flier thing and blanket the whole county - er, I mean I would mail them to individual teachers, PTO members and after-school program managers. Daycares, too.

There are also companies like this http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/ that supply educators and others with educational stuffola. Do some research and see if you can work out some wholesale deals if you're at a point you can do that.

I would do some research to find all the parenting/teaching blogs, magazines and so on out there (including trade magazines for teachers), then write and send out press releases. Put it this way: It's cheaper than advertising, and if you don't do it, you won't get a bite from anyone out there who might be interested in you. If you do it, you might get lucky and someone will think you're the coolest thing ever. Which do you prefer? You can expect to get calls from folks wanting you to advertise, but don't get sucked in.

If you want to reach individuals, well, that's more difficult, but if you know anyone at all, they should have a supply of your business cards in their bags or wallets, handing them out to people they know. Try to work out deals with local kids' stores. Local community centers have birthday parties; you could sell your crates to them as a birthday activity.

You could set up classes at churches, community centers, or schools with the crate cost paid as part of class fees. Make it on the weekends so more parents can join in and you can sell them on subscriptions. You want to sell your product, not become a daycare. If you make it a parent/child class it will be better for sales.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013 04:08:27 AM by CraftyChef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Combination of Color Dyes Produce Unusual Milk Art
Easy DIY Decorations For Your 4th of July Celebration
Pretty Savvy: Luxe Headband
How to Make Sharpie Tie-Dye T-Shirts
Artist Derek Gores Creates Incredible Collage From Hate Speech
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...