A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Roasted Mushroom Soup & Sweet Potato Biscuits  (Read 936 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2013 05:30:09 PM »

While I'm not actually vegetarian or vegan, I've been trying to eat more vegetarian meals lately.  Both for my health, and for the environmental impact.  Since I also happen to be lactose intollerant, that usually means using vegan recipes to avoid any dairy too.  I love mushrooms, and so while DH was out on Monday night, I went and made myself a big batch of Roasted Mushroom Soup, and some Sweet Potato Biscuits to have with it.  I've been enjoying it for lunch all week!

Vegan Sweet Potato Biscuits

Here's the link to the recipe I used: My Vegan Cookbook - Sweet Potato Biscuits

1 Small - Medium Sweet Potato (use exactly 1/2 cup mashed)
3/4 Cup Almond Milk
1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1 & 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 & 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook your sweet potato, either by peeling, chopping & boiling, or by microwaving it, like a baked potato. Set aside to cool slightly.

In a small mixing bowl, mix together almond milk and vinegar and let set for a few minutes to curdle.

In a separate large mixing bowl mix together the flours, baking soda and powder, salt and sugar.

Whisk together the sweet potato with the almond milk mixture. Pour into the mixing bowl with the flour and mix together until almost incorporated. Then add the oil to the dough, put a few drops of oil on your hands, and start kneading the dough with your hands. Fold the dough over onto itself a couple times.

Next, spread the dough out about 3/4 inches thick on a floured surface, then sprinkle the top with flour. With a 2 & 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, cut the biscuits out and lay onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden on top.  I actually hate rolling out & cutting biscuit dough, so I simply pulled off chunks, and patted them down smooth on the tray, like slightly smoothed drop-bidcuits.

Note: I used a 7 oz sweet potato, the kind that come pre-wrapped in plastic, and are meant to be microwaved.  It was a hair under the amount I needed of vegetable puree, so I ended up using an extra 1/2 Tablespoon of canola oil.  You could also use unsweetened apple sauce instead. I liked them, and they definitely weren't "sweet", despite the potato.  I think they might be nice to try making with pumpkin puree too.  

Roasted Mushroom Soup
For the soup, I referenced two different recipes  and still ended up altering it, based on what was in the house.  Here are the two original recipes that I based mine off of.

Epicurean Vegan - Roasted Mushroom & Garlic Soup with Caramelized Onions
Lunchbox.com - No Cream of Mushroom Soup

INGREDIENTS:
9 oz white mushrooms, sliced
9 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
6 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
cup frozen cauliflower
1 15 oz can whole new potatoes
1 cup almond milk
1 T. minced garlic, divided
1-2 Tbs olive oil + a drizzle
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 C vegetable stock

Caramelized onions:
1 large white or yellow onion, sliced into strips
1 Tbs olive oil
2 tsp sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  (You can do this at 400 degrees while the biscuits cook if you wish.)

Toss the sliced mushrooms with the oil, 1 T. minced garlic, kosher salt & pepper. Lay them flat on a baking sheet and roast for about 20-30 minutes - or until they begin to caramelize around the edges. After roasting, they should still be moist, yet fully cooked and flavorful to eat on their own.

Start the onions while the mushrooms are roasting.  Combine the onions and olive oil in your soup pot.  Cover and cook on medium-low 15-20 minutes. Remove the cover, and stir in the sugar.  Turn the heat up to medium-high, and cook until golden.  About 10 more minutes.  Remove the onions from the pan, and set aside.  

Deglaze the pan with a bit of vegetable broth.  Use a wooden spoon to scrape up all the tasty brown bits.

Defrost your cauliflower in the microwave, then place in blender with 3 c vegetable broth, can of new potatoes, 1 cup almond milk, and of the mushrooms.  (My blender is huge.  You may need to do this in two batches.)  Pour the pureed veggies into the soup pot, on medium-high heat.  Stirring occasionally, heat until piping hot.

Pour into bowls, and top with the caramelized onions and remaining mushrooms.

Notes: I had been planning to use either the cauliflower or canned beans called for in the above mentioned recipes, only to discover that I was out of beans, and had only cup cauliflower, midway through cooking.  I substituted the potatoes instead, and they made for a creamy and satisfying soup.  

I would have liked more solid mushrooms in the soup.  When I do this again, I think I'd add another container of baby bellas to the mix, so Id have more to use as topping.  The flavor of the soup was amazing.  The potatoes made it velvety and satisfying.  And it came to 145 calories per serving.  

In future, I might add a teaspoon of Gravy Master next time for a more golden brown color, as the potatoes + mushrooms made a slightly grey-brown color.  I didnt mind it, but the Gravy Master might make it prettier for company or non-vegetarian/vegan folks who might be doubtful. (P.S. I checked, and Gravy Master is vegan friendly.  Smiley)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013 06:07:21 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013 10:53:37 PM »

Those both look awesome! I will have to try those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013 03:44:38 AM »

That looks really tasty, Jennie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog

I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013 06:07:36 AM »

Thanks ladies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013 06:31:38 AM »

Yum! Anything with caramelized onions on top can't be bad. Both recipes sound especially delicious. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steph_patt
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013 06:02:26 PM »

Yum! I am definitely going to give the soup a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Clements Discusses His Own Qualities
Author Harold Holzer Discusses Lincoln President-Elect
Whispered Lies Book Trailer
Tom Pelphrey on Playing Jonathan Randall in Guiding Light
Mary-Ann Tirone Smith Discusses Girls of Tender Age
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...