A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty Summer 2005  (Read 5503 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dorkyoube

here comes a special boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005 01:45:17 AM »

i don't mind the load of sweater patterns, by the time i'd have one finished it would be all snowy and good outside. also the drunken arglye looks fun (although the extraspicy label requires talent that is far beyond any i possess) and the andre the giant scarf is so completely badass that i almost died.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do not know what we are. Perhaps we are gauchos. Ole.
AgnesB
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005 01:45:30 AM »

Though I guess my husband won't like any one of the patterns, I am not disappointed.  At least I like the idea of having an issue for men.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the littlest ninja

Feed that mustache, son.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005 05:28:22 AM »

Finally, I don't have to look at that picture of that chick that got punched in the face on the way to the photo shoot. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take that you stupid corn!
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005 05:39:31 AM »

The hatband is here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=41824.0

My husband DOES like sweaters, sometimes, when it's REALLY cold out.  It does get to a 60 below windchill here sometimes in the winter, and that's when he dons the knits.  I have half a mind to design a nice simple one for him myself, but I've never knit something that big, and think I'd be wondering if I was knitting a tent by the time I was through.  So I also have half a mind to NEVER knit my husband a sweater.  What else can I knit him?

He doesn't wear knit hats.  When it's cold he wears his cowboy hat.  He wears leather gloves.  Knit gloves are too scratchy for his appearantly baby soft fingers...(?!?)  He doesn't have an iPod or a cell phone, and I'm quite sure his little CD/MP3 player would NEVER, EVER wear a cozy.  I've considered, and even mentioned, knitting him a guitar strap.  He just looked at me funny.  I don't think he knows what can be done with knit.  I've also thought about making him a cozy or pouch or bag of some kind to contain his guitar chords and pedal for minimal-packing guitar transfers, like when he comes to jam a little with my band.  But then, he has designs on getting more accessories, and went out and bought himself a tool box...  Eesh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005 05:54:29 AM »

i think that whole part about not understanding what knitting can do is the root of the 'men problem.'  same thing happens when you show someone who doesn't knit or crochet a great sweater pattern but you want to change the yarn a little and the color and the sleeve length, etc., and they just can't imagine what you are talking about...   so what are we to do?  if you go ahead and make it hoping they will be happy with the finished product you are entering risky territory, but if you try to talk them into something they don't understand that's a mess too.  I totally sympathize with the tent issue!  My boyfriend is so much bigger than me it takes me twice as long or more and twice as much yarn to make him a sweater, luckily so far he has loved them, but i certainly had moments of doubts.
how do slippers and socks go over? at least they are quicker!  I like the instrument accessories cozy idea, my mom would think that was cool! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
ultraviolet
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005 06:27:33 AM »

Sadly, not a thing I could make for my husband OR my father..... I'm trying not to sound snippy really, but I don't own a single knitting book yet that has a pattern my husband would wear.  The SnB books are right out, as much as I love that stuff for myself.  He's not even really picky.  He's just big and likes simple things.  He doesn't do flames or skulls, wool makes him itch and he dislikes high necks immensly.  Surely there should be a sweater out there I could make him... 

Lothruin, I feel your pain! My boyfriend is not into the ultra-trendy teenage boy-type skulls & flames, yet he's not dorky enough for argyle or anchors Smiley He's just a standard jeans-and-t-shirt-wearing computer geek type person. I made him a sweater from the first SnB which he liked, and a sweater from Yarn Girls Guide to Simple Knits  (which is great for people who like things plain and simple!) but he's not into the more "creative" patterns. Though he pointed out that Cigar would be perfect for one of his friends Smiley

And if it makes you feel any better, I think your hatband is WAY cooler than a knit belt! Even if it's leather (and I'm a vegetarian, but just can't do the knit belt thing).

After taking another look, I realize that *I* would probably wear Hardcore, and it would be great fair isle practice - in fact, it's probably the first fair isle pattern I've seen and liked. Anyhow, I think the source of my disappointment isn't the quality of the patterns, just that I was SO excited with the last issue (and actually made TWO tops from it) that I had unrealistic expectations. Men are SO dang hard to design for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
mols

The Holy Grail - of sorts . . . .

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005 06:49:51 AM »

ultraviolet -
Are you sure we're not dating the same guy?  lol
If you tell me he automatically disqualifies any sweater with a roll neck and thinks most pictures with sweater patterns make the guys look like they have no shoulders (who knows - mabye sweater models HAVE no shoulders - or he just doesn't like raglan sleeves - the more common guy sweater sleeve)  then we're gonna have to compare pictures Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.
abinka
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005 06:51:11 AM »

Men are SO dang hard to design for!

Damn right! I've been wanting to knit my BF a sweater but it's been near impossible to find something I think he would like. I think I'm eventually going to go with the zippered sweater in Last Minuted Knitted Gifts. As for this issue of Knitty, I think the baby pants are adorable, I always thought the OBEY scarf was awesome (didn't the designer originally post it on Craftster?), and I like the drunken argyle, but I think the only think I'm likely to make is the satchel. I would love to make one for my bf (definitely his style) but we're both vegan so felting is a no-no. I might eventually try to figure out a tight-knit, unfelted version of that pattern but I don't know if my skills are up to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005 07:45:02 AM »

mols, mine is actually ok with raglan sleeves. He kind of likes Baseball from this issue, but without the cables (he likes cables, just not on a baseball style sweater). He IS very picky about necklines though - he has cringed at the most innocuous looking necklines.

abinka - are you thinking of doing tight-knit so you don't have to line it? That is a good idea - there must be a way! I would be totally interested in a pattern for a bag that doesn't require felting or lining Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
abinka
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005 08:03:48 AM »

abinka - are you thinking of doing tight-knit so you don't have to line it? That is a good idea - there must be a way! I would be totally interested in a pattern for a bag that doesn't require felting or lining Smiley

Yeah I was kind of thinking that, or doing it tight-knit and also lining it, because I know a bag like that will have to deal with a lot of wear and tear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Charlie Brown
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Cat
How to Sketch Tweety Bird
How to Draw an Angry Manga Face
How to Draw Marge Simpson
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...