A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Block Swap Round 3 Gallery  (Read 32112 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sparkledust
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2013 06:57:28 AM »

I hereby pledge to choose a much less complicated block for the next go round! Grin (The pattern was rated as an intermediate design. Just goes to show that you can't always rely on those rating systems. Sorry, partners!)

Well they turned out really pretty!

I thought so too. Can't wait to put them all together.

I agree I think the pattern was an intermediate design (beginner advanced) and one I found very rewarding to do, I didn't think it was difficult, just needed a bit more planning which I'm not used to!

I always press my seams open (except the ones that get caught wrong) so interesting to note that some of you don't always do this as I thought it was a must (as told by my mum!). I think I'll do this and alternate them as donniesgirl suggested next time and see how i go, I suppose it will just come with experience.

I haven't sewn for quite a while as I got hooked by crochet and only done small projects before this really so I've thoroughly enjoyed mixing it up and getting to do a variety of blocks. I tend to stray away from big projects as I never finish them so it was lovely to be able to try out different designs without having to commit to a whole quilt.

And my husband was really impressed with the thistle bloom block, which is saying something as he doesn't usually get 'crafting'! He was almost dissapointed I was sending it away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sparkledust
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2013 07:01:26 AM »

And until looking through the gallery I never realised how well white makes the colours stand out so I think I'll be asking for white backgrounds on the next one
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EllaRain
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2013 10:24:11 AM »

So exciting to have all my blocks. I think I am going to want to add some more blocks before I sew them together (maybe wait for another round) but I could not resist laying them all out together anyway.  I just love them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2013 11:21:57 AM »

ellarain? will you be sashing them in the white as well? i LOVED this block and have made 2 baby quilts and one lap size so far with it, but havent added the extra framing sashing to any yet. Smiley. but i love how it looks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #264 on: April 29, 2013 08:10:30 AM »

What a pretty block! I must say that the Craftster-made blocks make up such pretty quilts...I love all the patterns...

I will definitely be there next round...I love trying the different blocks you guys come up with! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
donniesgirl
« Reply #265 on: April 29, 2013 09:18:48 AM »

I always press my seams open (except the ones that get caught wrong) so interesting to note that some of you don't always do this as I thought it was a must (as told by my mum!). I think I'll do this and alternate them as donniesgirl suggested next time and see how i go, I suppose it will just come with experience.

I learned how to sew by making clothes, so I learned to press my seams open for that.  But the first quilt I did, I pressed them open and not that there were gaping holes in the seams, but I was concerned bits of batting would come out over time.  I may have eased some of them a bit much.  I read somewhere that you pressed them to the side on quilts so I have been doing them that way since...but just goes to show no one way works 100% of the time.   Smiley
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013 09:21:58 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sparkledust
« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2013 10:05:36 AM »

donniesgirl - that's a really good point and I'm trying it that way from now on. It would be so much easier for the more complex ones too because of the big iron irons one seam open whilst closing another when I don't realise i've pressed on another bit! Thinking of investing in one of those mini irons if they are any good?

EllaRain, I just love that quilt layout, what a lovely array of colour too, everyone's used similar tonal ranges too, it gels so well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #267 on: April 29, 2013 11:07:19 AM »

EllaRain, I just love that quilt layout, what a lovely array of colour too, everyone's used similar tonal ranges too, it gels so well.

EllaRain provided a painting as our color inspiration - that's why they go so well.  Smiley  It will look really pretty when it's all together! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: April 29, 2013 02:07:59 PM »

My last blocks came today. (I hope) so i did this.

Now. To wait patiently for the calendar Page to turn to a new month, and new craft budget. Smiley this will be batted with an old wool blanket and backed with a rubber backed canvas to be the new picnic blanket. Squishy and keeps the damp from seeping in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
donniesgirl
« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2013 02:58:54 PM »

That looks so cool!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit an iPod Cover
How to Make a Tissue Paper Shamrock
Color Coordinate Your Stamp Projects
Clean Your Stamps
Stamp Basics
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...