A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas needed please  (Read 1083 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chanel
« on: February 20, 2013 10:06:25 AM »

My homemakers group is in charge of our annual fall meeting. I have been tasked to come up with 6-8 ideas for our goodie bags. Our theme is the Colors of Fall. All items must be small (fist size or smaller). We are already doing small owl pincushions and flower pincushions. We have to make around 150 of each item.  We also need 2 items that can be donated to the local nursing home. 1 for men, 1 for women in a quantity of around 40 each so they must be inexpensive. Please help me. All ideas will be appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GlindaBunny
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013 01:14:28 PM »

Are the nursing home items also supposed to be handmade?

Are you considering small diy kits with some supplies, or just finished items?

I think fingerless gloves would be a great option for donating to a nursing home for men and women.  Sometimes elderly people can have poor circulation and get cold extremities, even inside.  Fingerless gloves are easier to put on and take off than gloves and mittens, and they're great for indoor use when people still want to use their hands for eating, playing guitar, painting, or whatever.  If you have thrift stores nearby, maybe you could check for 100% extrafine merino wool sweaters to felt in the washing machine and then use to make gloves.  I can usually get 4 or more pairs from one decent merino wool sweater, more if I don't make them super long.  I say merino because while cashmere is wonderfully soft, some people find it a bit too fuzzy.  Merino is also much easier to find at a thrift store than cashmere.  I think other kinds of wool are potentially too scratchy.  I know my husband much prefers merino wool for fingerless gloves (he wears them at work in the winter - he's a programmer).  My mom likes fingerless gloves because it provides gentle compression on her sore joints (she has arthritis), so they're soothing.  My 5 year old autistic son likes fingerless gloves because they help his sensory needs.  If you're making a bunch of them, it's simplest to just sew a tube and cut a hole for the thumb.  The sleeves of the sweater usually make at least two pairs with little to no need for sewing on those pairs (since they're already a tube - the higher part of the sleeve makes gloves for larger hands - only sew those if they're way too large for anyone).

What about decorative pins for the pincushions?  You can get fancy with those and use polymer clay, or keep them simple with some matching beads and a bit of glue to secure them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chanel
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013 11:29:41 AM »

Thank you for the suggestion...we only have one small thrift store in town but a lot of the ladies in the club may have sweaters we can use  Grin and I like the decorative pin idea...we could do little fall leaves, acorns, fall vegs....so many possibilities  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BillsCrafts
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013 06:38:07 AM »

If hair accessories would work, you could make crocheted flower clips using fall colors. It's saying I haven't posted enough to upload a picture, so I am providing a link to the pictures on my stores Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.439749206106709.1073741828.254877101260588&type=3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Billy ~
BillsCrafts & Online Flea Market

Jewelry, Apparel, Accessories - More products added often!

http://billscrafts.com

~ Thanks for looking ~
Chanel
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013 08:15:37 AM »

Those are cute....I bet some of the ladies could do them....I don't crochet much anymore b/c of nerve damage in my hand.....I sure do miss doing it though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockingbearranch
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013 01:16:33 PM »

A pouch with a hanging loop big enough to go around the arm of a wheelchair. Velcro is probably easiest to attach it but you can save money making them tie on with cloth strings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bring A Modern Flair To Classic Labor Day Dishes
How to Make a Brick Oven Style Prosciutto Arugula Pizza
Bacon and Escarole Pizza Recipe
Best Foods For Tailgating At The Game And At Home
How to Cook Bacon Perfectly
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...