A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a Box (part I) & Decorating a Box (part II)  (Read 2515 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , box  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2004 03:25:39 AM »

Okay, so along with the headboard for my mother came this "beautiful" piece of particle board that I just had to do something with.  Not sure why, but it became an obsession... So, I decided to make a box.

Step 1.  Find a board. 

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/101d3e5f/bc/b176/__tn_/1736.jpg?phPtgnABhVcFZWg7

Step 2.  Measure your board.  Both lenght, width, and depth.  Then sit and do math.  Figure out what size you want to make the box that is plausable with the material you have to work with.  For this project, the width of the board x2 became my base.  The width (4 3/8) was added twice, because I used two pieces on the bottom, this became the lenght for two of the side pieces - 8 3/4.  Then I decided that this was also a good lenght for the other side, so I cut four total pieces that size, the two for the bottom and the two for the short sides.  (The box was square, but this will make sense later.)  Then I decided that I wanted to just tack the sides so that two of them were one solid piece without ends or breaks showing, so I added the length of the bottom piece to the depth of the two short sides to come up with the long side length of 9 1/2.  I cut two to that size. 

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/101d3e5f/bc/b176/__tn_/2f9a.jpg?phPtgnABqyEelR2z

Step 3.  The actual cutting.  While looking at your board, measure down both sides of the board and make marks.  Draw lines across the board connecting those marks to use as guidelines when cutting.  (Measuring along both sides helps you get your lines across to be straight and not angled).   You will have six pieces when you're done that you're using, plus any additional that you're not.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/101d3e5f/bc/b176/__tn_/e300.jpg?phPtgnABSm6jZVZ

Step 4.  If anything comes out uneven (with particle board you get a little bump at the end of each cut) sand/saw/cut it off.  We ran that part across the saw blade to get it off. With particle board, sanding is kind of a mute point, so I didn't bother to smoothe anything.

Step 5.  Nail the pieces together.  Take the long ends and put two nails in each of the short sides.  (Eight nails total up to this point).  You'll need help to hold it in place, but you'll have a very wobbly box when you're done.  Next, Slide the bottom pieces in the box so that they end up flush with the bottom of the sides (doing it this way makes the box slightly less deep).  Put two nails in the end of each board through the short side pieces, and also put three down each long board.  Your box is now complete.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/101d3e5f/bc/b176/__tn_/73e0.jpg?phPtgnABxCxDxi1G

Step 6.  Admire your Handiwork!
Final cost - $0.00 - everything I used I already had or I got for free.

So mom saw her headboard and cried because she was so happy to get it.  And I finished by box.
To decorate it like I did:

Step 1:  If you don't have/aren't using supplies on hand, hop in your car (or someone else's if you don't drive) and go to a store...  To finish it like I did, you need a piece of scrapbook paper (12x12 probably, unless your box is really small), a piece of felt, two colors of acrylic paint, and one of those stampers you use for paint.  Get everything to coordinate all in one trip. 

Step 2: Paint your box the base color, inside and out.  In my case, this was green.  The bottom of the inside doesn't really need paint, but you might want to go about an inch in from each side, just in case you don't cut the paper quite right.  Paint will blend in, the natural wood will be quite obvious - especially if you're using dark colors. No need to paint the bottom of the box, no one will see it, and you'll cover it up anyway.

Step 3: After the paint has dried, do your touchup coat.  Then get out your second paint color and the stamp(s) you're using and do the stamping. 

Step 4: Look at your box.  Do you like the result?  Does it need something more?  In my case, I decided to paint the top edge of the box in the purple color I was using for the stamping.  I think it gives that color a little more presence - like it belongs there - if you don't see the inside to know why I used it.

Step 5: Cut & Glue stuff.  Cut your paper just a hair smaller than your inside dementions to fit inside your box.  For some reason, cutting it exact doesn't work quite as well.  (Use the dimentions that the inside pieces of wood were cut to - since they're entirely inside, no need to remeasure anything!)  Squeeze glue all around the inside of your box, then smoothe it/spread it with a q-tip.  (If you leave lines of glue, you'll get bumps)  Oh, and one thing I noticed - the paper bubbles because of the moisture, so be prepared for a few bumps.. They kinda go away somewhat on their own.  Then, as long as the top edge of your box isn't still so wet that paint comes off when you touch it, flip the box over.  You'll need a piece of felt you've cut just slightly smaller than your box, then just glue it on.  You can use the felt feet, but if you don't have them and want to save money, a piece of felt or felt scraps you might have are way cheaper (feet, $2, piece of felt $0.20)

Step 6: Figure out what to use your box for! 

Final Cost Breakdown: 2 tubes paint @ $0.44 each = $0.88; 1 piece scrapbook paper $0.33; 1 piece felt $0.20; 1 set paint stamps, on clearance, $0.70; plus tax (7%/$0.15) = $2.26

If the pics don't work (it's a bandwidth issue) go to http://photos.yahoo.com/youropinion and click on the craftster folder.  And no, those aren't my manly hands in the picture.  I asked my father for a saw and he came out and did all the cutting for me.  I'll post a pic of the finished box later, right now I don't have a camera.

Edited a million times because I hate using this code!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010 11:27:16 AM by pixieval » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who hold on to broken dreams often get cut by their sharp edges.
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004 05:58:11 PM »

wow, good idea, i love it  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
seedgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012 09:48:24 AM »

"then sit and do math." ha ha ha!

Great project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Write, already!

www.pickypockets.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Cartoon Giraffe
How to Design a Cartoon Panda
How to Design a Cartoon Turtle
How to Design a Cartoon Donkey
How to Design a Cartoon Fairy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...