A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: silk and polyester on a mostly cotton quilt? (updated w/ pics!)  (Read 726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss American Pie
« on: February 19, 2013 06:25:19 PM »

---UPDATED---

I finished sewing the quilt top!!!! Behold!!!

I actually love how the silk turned out! I like that little shine it adds. It was a pain to work with though... I ended up backing all the silk pieces with an extra triangle of cotton for stability (and sanity). Maybe I should have done the same with the polyester... too late now, CAUSE I'M NOT TURNING BACK!!

But now I understand why most quilters stick to 100% cotton. I used to think it was just a pretentious hobbyist sort of thing... but no. Out of all the fibers in this mess of a first quilt (top), the cotton was the kindest to me. Two of the poly blends were okay, but most of them were finicky, and one of them will never relinquish its wrinkles, even though I steam-ironed it! (Though I guess that's why I decided it deserved to be a blanket rather than clothing...)

So now my plan is to quilt "in the ditch" by machine. I think it's small enough and thin enough for that. Though I really have no idea. And binding? I'll figure it out.

But first I must acquire more ivory thread. Quilts use SO MUCH thread.

---OLD POST---

I'm a long time sew-er, first time quilter. I'm making a quilt out of scrap fabric and a few old clothes (something that will hopefully look similar to this-- http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohsohappytogether/7441739272/, but probably smaller.)

Most of the stuff I'm planning to use is cotton/poly blend. A few are 100% cotton. The problem is, there are two colors that I REALLY want to have in there, and one is 100% polyester and the other is 100% silk. It's all machine washable, so I'm not worried about that. And they both have a matte finish. But they have a different thickness, drape, and feel than the other fabrics, so I'm worried it might look silly. But I CAN'T sacrifice my beautiful color scheme!

It's just a "scrap quilt" so it doesn't have to be heirloom quality, right? And I'm probably going to love it no matter what, right?

Has anyone ever mixed fibers like that before? Any regrets? Should I just go for it?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013 05:01:31 PM by Miss American Pie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013 07:14:31 PM »

If everything's pre-washed, and everything is washable I think you'll be ok! Can't wait to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013 08:34:39 PM »

Like old school crazy quilts, toss what you like at your quilt. Like mare said. As long as it is washed and washable should be fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Taramor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013 12:05:24 PM »

What lovely colours. To bad you had so much trouble, but it was worth it, wasn't it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013 09:26:22 PM »

I love it!  Cheesy  Great triangles, and it looks seriously worth the work.  I can't wait to see it when it is fully finished.  Keep up the great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup Expiration Dates You Need Not Ignore
The Modamob Team Picks Their Favorite Night Creams
Aquarella Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
5 Types of Makeup Primers
The Right Way to Conceal Your Skin During the Hot Summer Months
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...