A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk for the Home 2013  (Read 7393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013 06:58:51 PM »

I love packages like that, that just keep disgorging new and better things until you think there couldn't be anything else in the box, and then you find one last wonderful item. And the top hatted mug rug was a great one to end with! I especially covet the drapery tiebacks (and I don't even have drapes to use them on!) but it's all great. And Craftsunderground, I really like your bird print cloth underneath. It almost overshadowed even such brilliant stuff as this!

There are, of course, stories to go with the Steampunk sewing box. It started out as a rather wretched little Singer promotional item that I got at a yard sale a few years ago and put away to do something with someday. It seemed okay until I removed the rather crude wooden knobs and fittings and sanded off the ugly brown stain. That's when I started to realize how badly made it actually was. But too late to turn back, even when I discovered the screw holes for attaching the brackets to the sliding trays hadn't even been spaced evenly. (When I put it all back together, though, I found that this was probably to accomodate the fact that the trays weren't actually square. That's why one of the brass brackets is crooked.) The wooden thread spools have brass sleeves in their centres, that protrude a bit at the top and bottom. That turned out to be necessary when I realized the lid would only close if the spools were somehow kept a couple of millimeters away from the sides of the tray!

The measuring tape was a cute idea, but the only old pocket watch I had to cannibalize was a bit too small, and the tape doesn't retract smoothly. So I made the needle case at the last minute to make up for it. Those scissors are from an old military sewing kit I picked up somewhere. I fear they may look better than they cut. The snap fasteners are a type I've never seen before either. Very Steampunk, though. I bought several full cards of them in an antique store, and I haven't tried them on anything yet. I hope this odd design actually works!

I'm glad you like the box and its fittings. It was a lot of fun to assemble.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsunderground
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013 06:56:02 AM »

I love hearing the back story. I like to include a note with  my swaps. There are so many decisions and moments of inspiration and sometimes setbacks that even a simple project has history and drama. I want to hear it all.
Your sewing box is a visual and tactile feast. When it's open, it's like a shadow box.

I have some old pocket watch cases. Now I am on the hunt for just the right sized tape measure to fit one. I will be carrying them around with me "just in case." No wonder my purse is so heavy.  Cheesy

Libertine49 sent an amazing assortment. I love the tie backs too and I don't have drapes to tie back either! But that won't stop me. I am going to use them in my craft area to tie back some unweildy tall rolls of paper and fabric that are always flopping around. Won't that be cool? I love it!

I got the bird print fabric just last week in the Fat Quarter Swap. It has a Steampunk feel, but can go in other directions too.

I can't wait to see the rest of the packages arrive. I will be sad to see this swap end. (As always.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
libertine49
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013 05:08:11 PM »

Oh my word, everything looks great! That sewing box is amazing. But, I have received and my gosh, I was absolutely wonderful!
This is my package from Craftsunderground

First item I opened was a little confusing

But then opened up to this

Next I found this, which again a little confused

But then made sense, again with this beauty

And this clock, my bf loves it he jung it immediately after I took the picture

And talk about the swap that just kept kept on giving
A couple of picture holders perfect for the livong room

And then these cute tooth brush holders, which agreed, on the pop of color, looks great in the bathroom
THIS ROCKS   Logged

libertine49
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013 05:09:53 PM »

Hmm, not sure why they came sideways  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013 09:29:13 AM »

Just now found the gallery Tongue I had it marked as 'notify' when Craftsunderground first put it up, but apparently it didn't work, because we're already three pages in!

I'm loving all the stuff on here already! Personally, I found the 'no wearables' rule to be surprisingly difficult to follow, but I think I like household items even better! Its the little things like the curtain tiebacks and toothbrush holders that really makes a house a home, I say.

I am such a bad person. I had my package 98% finished on Tuesday, all I needed to do was attach one last thing with my sewing machine. Guess what was broken? I just got the machine fixed yesterday because I had to travel quite a ways to find a repair place, and now I'm going to be sending nearly a week late.  Embarrassed

Danynn, I'm just going to give you my condolences in advance that your awesome pocket watch measuring tape is going to be stolen. I have noooo idea who would do it. . . I certainly wouldn't. . . Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013 04:03:58 PM »

Libertine, you're going to have to explain your package photos even more. Was the Monopoly money an origami box? What are the clock faces for? What exactly is the box with the grille on the front - is it the other side of the octopus clock? The only thing I understand completely is the toothbrush holders, but that's because I know what they were in their previous life. Wink They're very cool, and so are the bottle photo holders. A brilliant idea, Craftsunderground!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsunderground
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013 05:39:31 PM »

I hope Libertine49 won't mind if I add some explanation to her photos.
My idea was to Steampunk her bathroom, but the items can be used in other parts of the house. The Monopoly box is a little gift box. I usually make them from playing cards, which are more durable. Instructions on how to make the boxes was the first thing I saw on UTube. I think a 9-year-old did the tutorial;D Grin

The clock faces are magnets; they are wooden disks edged with copper tape. They were a non-bathroom extra.

The box  with the grill is a wooden tissue box. Each side is different. I just happen to have pictures.

The octopus clock is about 12 inches wide.

I am curious, can you tell me what the pipe things are, Wulf? I can't take credit for the idea, I saw it somewhere. I couldn't find good-looking pipe fittings until I came across these at a thrift store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013 04:46:13 AM »

The orange things are each one half of a cabinet-maker's pipe clamp. Here's a photo: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=31178&cat=1,43838,43843

Thanks for the photos of the tissue box - now it makes sense and it's even more fantastic than I'd imagined! I'd re-decorate my whole bathroom for that. Grin The fittings you've used on it are perfect - I especially like the key on the chain and the two bars.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ehinders
Crafting to avoid real work.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013 09:26:31 AM »

wow! so much cool stuff.

Wulf- that sewing box is amazing! I also think I need a pocket watch measuring tape (maybe I wouldn't always lose mine) Smiley

Libertine- I love those cute little bowls. How did you transfer the image? That mug rug is awesome as well.

Craftsunderground- that tissue cover is great! I never would have thought to do that. I also really like that clock. Smiley

Can't wait to see more. This gallery is rocking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013 09:52:01 AM »

That tissue box is a work of art.
Dang, everything is so cool! I am blown away by all the amazing crafts in the gallery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Camera Dolly
Maternity Photography, A Really Cool Job
How to Take Cute Baby Pictures
How to Take a Family Portrait
Time-Lapse of Total Solar Eclipse in North Queensland
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...