A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk for the Home 2013  (Read 6405 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dustyfro
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013 09:40:54 PM »

Those oven mitts are kracken me up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
Craftsunderground
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013 06:05:05 AM »

Beautiful job Danynn. Again, I am always blown away by the creativity of Craftsters. I never would have thought of a water bottle carrier but now I WANT one, just like this one.

I always look forward to your descriptions, Wulf, they are so dramatic and make the gallery even more exciting.

And, Naantje, I never would have thought to Steampunk a dream catcher. That is just wild.

Deahtolems, not sure what split pins are, can you provide a picture or a link? What does the back look like? We all want to know how to do this  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
ehinders
Crafting to avoid real work.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013 08:50:41 AM »

wow! Great start to the gallery.

I love those pillows. I never would've thought to do that and I love how subtle they are.

The carved candle is amazing, as is the dreamcatcher.

I now think I need Kracken oven mitts.  Cheesy That box is also really awesome. I love the galaxy fabric on the inside.

Awesome stuff everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Naantje
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013 02:59:19 AM »

Aw, you guys are the best Embarrassed Smiley I was inspired to make the dreamcatcher when I found a rather ugly, cheap necklace with the metal feathers. They were begging to be removed and re-used. I really do love cheap & ugly necklaces for source materials, because most of the time, you pay a lot less than you would if you're just buying the good pieces individually in the craft store. They'll often even be discounted because nobody wants to wear an ugly necklace, making it really worth your while.

You didn't mention collecting post cards, so I guess I really got lucky on that one then Smiley I picked up a set of 17 of those at a flea market for 1 (and they were supposed to be 15cts each, so I was given a really nice discount without even asking). I'll likely be framing the rest.

@Danynn: Loving your work! It's done beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
DeathToLems
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013 05:34:29 AM »

here's a close up of the feathers.

and here's the split pins (i think the proper name is Brads)

found a website
http://www.polyclayplay.com/Cart/products/Steampunk-Screwhead-Brads.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013 09:31:30 AM by DeathToLems » THIS ROCKS   Logged

danynn
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013 12:30:53 PM »

Wulf, glad you liked everything! I was trying to decide what to line the box with and when I saw that fabric I knew it was right for you.  Cheesy  And yes, the water bottle carrier is insulated.

And now folks, prepared to be wowed! Wulf had mentioned painting and brass bits, so I was dying to know what he made. Well, I opened my package today and found this lovely box:

My first thought was that I could use it in my sewing room to hold small things like pins and bobbins and such. Well, it turns out Wulf had the same idea, because when I opened it I found a potpourri of sewing notions!

Just look at it all! Bobbins, hooks, a thimble, a thread ripper, thread, pins, more hooks, a needle book, scissors, and a tape measure camouflaged as a watch! And I LOVE the map lining in the boxes.

One last shot with everything open:

Thanks so much, Wulf, it's amazing!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013 12:33:02 PM by danynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013 02:34:35 PM »

That box is seriously awesome! I love the map lining, too. Things with lots of compartments are fun, aren't they?
I finally shipped my package today. Crossing fingers everything gets there okay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50% both shops
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013 03:46:05 PM »

Love everything about the sewing box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
Craftsunderground
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013 04:40:25 PM »

Wulf, let me first say that the paint job on the box is beautiful and the fixtures are the perfect complement. I love vintage notions and snatch them up whenever I find them, so I particularly love this box. It seems you altered the spools somehow, but I can't quite make it out. Can you clarify. I love how you attached the holder for the needle threader and I have never seen that type of "snap fastener" before. They look like butterflies. Its the kind of box I would pore over and rearrange again and again. How did you make the pocket watch tape measure ? I seriously need one of those. Is the little cameo the needlebook (be still my heart!). Everything is just lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsunderground
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013 05:39:56 PM »

I was so delighted when I opened the package from Libertine49. She sent me something for every room in the house. I don't know how she managed to fit it all into the box.
The first thing I saw was this lovely distressed copper switchplate.

Then, elegant tile coasters. Do I need coasters? I am still using poinsettia coasters from last Christmas, so yeah, I need coasters.

then, THREE pretty bowls with old timey images of a pocket watch, nature cloche, and a clock face.

I am going to keep one with my jewelry to hold those tiny earring nuts. I will probably bring one to work to hold paperclips on my desk (yes, I do still use paper.) Not sure where the other will find a home, but quite possibly my craft desk.

For the kitchen she covered a recipe box with Steampunk themed papers and a very cute metal label holder. She also included a journal decorated with hot air balloons.

But, wait, there's more.
Aren't these the coolest curtain tie-backs. She also included the screws to mount on the wall.

But, wait, there's more.
I said there was something for every room in the house, but this one is going to my office at work so that I can enjoy it where I spend most of my time.

I just love this typewriter. It's mounted on typewriter key themed paper that is in low relief and has a slightly distressed silver toned frame. I just love it.
And this really surprised me, hiding at the very bottom of the box, my very own mug rug with a sillohuette wearing a top hat. this might have to go to work too, so that I can show it off.

Libertine49, you sent an amazing package. Thank you so much. I will now have Steampunk goodness all through my house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Do Mascara Primers Really Work?
How to Wear Red Lipstick at the Beach
Turning the Camera Around for the Ultimate Surprise Makeover
How To Get Long Lasting Lip Color
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...