A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newby bride to be advice!  (Read 664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MiLady
« on: February 19, 2013 04:12:09 AM »

Hey everyone,

My sweetheart of 8years proposed to me on holiday in September 2012 and we have booked our wedding for 14/11/14. I am trying to avoid facebook for wedding info and advice because I would prefer impartial outsider views and I don't want rumours going round.

I will update this topic with photos as I go along because there are many parts of my day which will be handmade and homemade, I will list below the things that have been started already:

* mum is in the process of making our invitations, save the dates, table plans, place cards, rsvps and thank you cards
*mum has made my bouquet and will be making my bridesmaids bouquets, out of buttons and brooches
*between me, my aunt and my mum my four tier banana, vanilla, chocolate and fruit wedding cake will be made and decorated
* favours of snowflake cookies will be made by my MOH and myself
*i am making my garter and possibly my veil
* we have bought in the sales 10 dew dropped ivy garlands and 10 pearl organza crystal garlands to wrap into wreaths with candle centre pieces (all supposed to cost £125 and cost me £20)

My first question goes like this though. I have entered a competition to have my dress made, but I realise that if i don't win I will have to get my dress elsewhere. I have so far had very poor experience in bridal shops and wondered about making my own dress and wondered if any of the girls on here could give me some advice and whether its something I should do or completely avoid. If all else fails I have seen a dress on ebay that would be lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
ivoryh1632
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013 10:02:04 PM »

first off, i noticed you making your veil was only a possibly, i say go for it because pretty much every style of veil is incredibly easy to make and veils are so ridiculously expensive to buy.

but as for the dress, it really depends on your sewing skills and what kind of dress you want. a wedding dress is basically just a formal gown, so if you'd be confident enough to make a formal dress then you may want to just go for it. you have over a year and a half before the big day so you should have plenty of time to do a test run in a cheaper fabric.

also, you may want to look on etsy, i've seen some shops on there that will custom make dresses for a really reasonable price.

one big thing you want to take into account when deciding whether to make or buy is if you have a body that's hard to fit or if you're one of those lucky people that looks great in anything they grab off the shelf.  If you easily fit into store bought clothes then buying a dress online should work fine. But if you're harder to fit, then anything you buy is probably going to have to be altered, either by you or take it to someone to alter, which sometimes can cost nearly as much as the dress.

another thing you might want to factor in is how durable you want the dress to be. Last wedding I helped with, the bride wasn't planning on saving her dress and only needed it for that one day so she got a cheap (i think it was around $60) dress from one of those chinese websites that sell all those cheap knock offs. I'm not gonna lie, I've seen halloween costumes that were better quality. But I did some quick alterations and luckily noone at the wedding was much of a fashionista so it was a success and she didnt have to worry about getting dirt stains (outdoor wedding that was on a giant dirt feild) on an expensive dress. on the other hand, when I get married i plan on having a dress that i can later dye and alter into a less formal dress so that i can wear it again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Citrus BBQ Beer Can Chicken
Miller Lite Prosciutto And Pepper-Stuffed Pork Chops
Beef And Beer Cheese Sauce Nachos
Miller Lite Garlic Butter Hot Wings
King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...