A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: when custom orders get cancelled!!  (Read 1400 times)
Tags for this thread: custom_order  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beadbakery
« on: July 04, 2005 04:51:16 PM »

here's the story:

A 'friend' asked me to make her bridesmaid jewerly for her wedding in Aug.  I told her that the timing would be tight but i would do it for her.  I drove 30 minutes to her house and we designed necklaces and earrings and agreed on a price of $28.00 for the set (5 sets total) I told her that i was charging her almost no labour b/c she wanted to keep the cost low and I knew that she was tight on time and cash.  So i go and buy $50.00 of materials and take 1 1/2 hr to make the first one(way more time then i thought it would take, can you tell I'm new at the business end of crafting!) She happened to email me asking about the progress and I thought I would send her a picture of the one that I had finished.  So the climate of the Story: she emails me today and says that 'she doesn't love it' and 'wants to go another direction' and would be willing to pay me for the one I made.  I told her that she had to pay all the material cost b/c I dont think I should be out of pocket (and I'm a student so the pockets are shallow enough as it is) but she refused and said that the most she would give me is $30.00.  I just set her a bill for $53.10 for the material that's alreay cut and the beads that I would have never bought if she didn't want them and the necklace that's done

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm at a loss of what do do with the situation, I need at least $50 but if she wont give me that should I just chalk it up as a learning expirence and tell her what i think of her.?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005 04:59:59 PM »

I cannot beleive she did that to you!  And you were giving her a deal to begin with!  I say you should explain the situation to her, calmly, and ask her one more time.  Is there anything else you can really do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
LRS
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005 05:08:51 PM »

This is not going to end well.  Your relationship with her is shot and you've lost money.  But resist the temptation to give her a piece of your mind.  You don't want her telling everyone how you lost your temper.  I'll be amazed if she pays the bill you sent.  Send it at least one more time, marked "overdue" and perhaps with a very pleasant note saying that you bought special order materials for her and she must take the responsiblity of paying for the materials. 

But you can learn a lesson.  Don't start any custom work until you have a deposit in hand.  1/3 of the estimate is a minimum, at least enough to cover your costs. 

Perhaps you can make up the other pieces and sell them somewhere else - for more money.

Any chance that your supplier will take anything back?

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
minouette
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005 05:44:18 PM »

That's really crappy. I think your "friend" is extremely cheap and shouldn't treat you so shabbily over a small sum of money that you are requesting to cover your costs. I imagine the difference between $30 and $53.10 probably means more to you than to her. Though, I'm sure that LRS is right and that you should take the high road and not tell her off.

There is such a thing as a "verbal contract", but you are talking about small sums here, so it's probably not worth pursuing. The other advice I can offer is what my father the lawyer always say- in the future, get it in writing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
supastarrr110

GHETTO FABULOUS MEETS SEWiiNG!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005 05:52:33 PM »

:oOMG i'd be soooooooooooo p.o-ed. id sure as hel-l give her a peice of my mind!!! that b**** deserves an upper cut!(cools down her jamaican hot temperedness)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not gonna spit on you because i have more class than that. I am, however, going to b!tch slap you!"-New York, FLAVOR OF LOVE
kokoleo
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005 02:31:13 AM »

Something like this happened to me only instead of wedding jewelry it was a maternity wedding dress for my friend's sister. I sketched out a design, she okayed it, she said she could pay $300, I told her I'd take $150 (I felt sorry for her). I made a mock-up out of a bedsheet, we tweeked the design, then I made the dress (luckily, I told her to find and purchase the fabric.) When I was almost finished she called and said, "Guess what! I found a dress at a thrift store so now I don't have to pay all that money!" I was speechless. I think she could sense my shock and she offered to give me $50 for my time (about 6 hours). When I picked up the money I gave her a piece of my mind (I'm usually very nice and accomodating) and it seemed that it never even crossed her mind that what she did was lame.

A friend of mine went to the wedding and told me she had copied the design I had made (lacing up the back with ribbon) only she just left the zipper open in the back and cut holes for the ribbon to lace up. Klassy.

Here was my dress:

I guess all you can do, Bead Bakery, is take the $30 and chalk it up to a learning experience. Stress to your friend that you LOST money in this deal and wish she would make up for it. Can you use the beads for anything else?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009 12:33:41 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005 09:42:01 AM »

I would not have spent the $50 on materials unless I could use the leftovers for something else or didn't care about the cost.

You said you'd charge her X-amount, so you really have no reason to charge her more than that. You decided what to charge her, knowing the design and materials involved. She agreed.

Wedding people are a pain in the neck. I won't cook for wedding parties simply because the people involved are all emotionally disturbed. Brides are the worst - thing is, they get over it after the wedding, and so will you.

Look at it this way: is your friendship worth more, or less, than $20? Try a new design with the materials already purchased. If it's not possible, consider giving the finished necklace as a wedding gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DsgndbyRJ
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005 10:02:42 AM »

I agree with CraftyChef - is your friendship worth more than $20?  If it's not - well that's unfortunate, but definitely don't tell her off.  Sure it might make you feel better now, but in the long run it won't help a thing.

In the future:

a) Never custom design for this particular friend ever again
b) Never custom design without a signed contract (spelling out the design, price and time to delivery) & a non-refundable deposit which at least covers material costs

If you can't use your materials - try selling them as a lot to other beaders!  There are certainly enough of us around that you should have no problem unloading your unwanted beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.RJBeads.etsy.com - beads and jewelry making supplies! **SALE ALERT**

www.designedbyrj.blogspot.com
SewMuch4Kids

My Reality Check bounced.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005 10:40:15 AM »

That is just terrible!

I hope you can get your money from her.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
giggles1100

They call me Martha......

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005 11:00:45 AM »

iwould take the $30 and chalk it up to experience.  next time get a deposit and written contract for any special design, sorry you had to go through this, but just starting out you have to expect some bumps in the road, this is probably one of a few.  Will your bead person not buy the beads back from you, then you might have gained $30 and maybe you can return $20 worth and or make more jewelery with what you have if she originally liked the idea, maybe someone else out there will ove it, so you could still sell and make money off of it.  Just put a disclaimer on your website that all custom orders will need to have 1/2 paid up front with only and no refunds if cancelled or only a .25% refund if cancelled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Serve a Bacon Roly Poly
How to Stuff Mini Quesadillas
How to Heat Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Casserole
How to Cook Fantastic Turkey Au Gratin with Sherry
How to Cook Extra Sweet Thanksgiving Yams
Latest Blog Articles
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...