A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Should I let someone post my pattern that they translated in another language?  (Read 842 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RyuuDolly
« on: February 17, 2013 08:09:37 PM »

Someone had messaged me yesterday about how they had translated one of my patterns into another language and created a PDF of it.  They asked me to put it up on ravelry and my blog. Also asked me for permission to post the translated pattern on their blog & a link back to the original pattern.

I normally don't allow people to copy & paste my patterns onto their blog. I'm wondering what you think about this considering it's another language.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sylwa
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013 08:40:26 AM »

if it's a pattern you sell then no. If the pattern is free and the link to your blog is included then I don't see why not? You probably wouldn't know if it's your pattern or not, since it's in another language so since they actually asked for permission I personally would ok that.

I am bilingual and I have people asking me to translate patterns for them a lot. I had one "friend" that would buy patterns in English and then email them to me for translation. Later on I found out she was re-selling the translated patterns which instantly ended any kind of friendship that was there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

earless owl
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013 09:55:08 AM »

They probably should've asked your permission first to translate it.

And since it's your pattern, I don't think the PDF should be available via their blog or the pattern written out in their blog post. I've seen that kind of stuff cause misunderstandings. If you want people to know you're the designer, it should be available on your blog with credit to the person for translating it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013 09:04:40 AM »

English is not my first language, so I see a fair amount of this on non-english sites. I always cringe a little when someone translates a pattern and looks for people to proof read it BEFORE they contact the designer... I know they mean well, but to me it would make more sense to ask the designer first.

If you decide to post the pattern try to check if the one translated it have had it proof read by someone. You might end up with odd questions about it if it's not translated correctly.

With that said, it's really helpful to have multiple language versions of a pattern. They could have been more smooth when deciding to translate your pattern, but I think it will be appreciated if you post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade All-Natural Heating Pad
DIY Playdough with DIY Expert Tanya Memme
How Snow Globes Came to Be
DIY Snowglobe Ornaments
Ken Wingard Makes Christmas Stockings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...