A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginning calligraphy practice  (Read 1891 times)
Tags for this thread: calligraphy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rebecnik
« on: February 14, 2013 08:04:39 PM »

I'm brand new at calligraphy, but I'm pretty pleased with how a couple of my works turned out for the first shot. These are done with a traditional western-style calligraphy pen and gouache.

This quote is from The Phantom Tollbooth (when they're in The Doldrums). I love that book so much that I think I will read it again; it still must be magical even as an adult. I really like how "alternate" and "Thursdays" turned out. However, my eyes cannot stop noticing the stark difference in spacing between the letters of "Laughing" and all the other words. Sad

Gothic alphabets are the easiest to start with to get used to the pen and the basics of calligraphy. I liked this one, because it added just a bit of flair to the "traditional" look with the diamonds. The "B" is my favorite.

This was my first practice with flourishing. I love it, and I hope to come up with more creative types on my own. This quote is from the song Man of Devotion by Fool's Garden.

This was actually my first Gothic alphabet on the second try. The number set is actually my own, because the alphabet didn't already have one. I absolutely hate the 9 and 4, but I really love the 6! People have told me that the 7 should be slanted.

I didn't use any kind of ruler lines except for with the first one, so I do know there is some fluctuation in the spacing/sizing as well as upper and lower edges. This was just for practice, so I didn't find it necessary.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this. I like to crank my music up and just do whatever I want with the pen. I find it quite soothing!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013 04:24:35 PM by rebecnik » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013 08:27:46 PM »

Great work! I had a calligraphy set when I was younger, and I never got very good but it sure was fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
rebecnik
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013 08:29:37 PM »

Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Athterath
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013 11:43:45 PM »

Nice work!

I did notice the difference in spacing on "Laughing", but I thought it was intentional.  Spreading it out a little more is one way to emphasize a word or phrase--an effect similar to but more subtle than that of putting it in a different color ink or a different hand.  I just figured you were saying, "Laughing is not allowed. . .."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013 11:45:24 PM by Athterath » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013 11:44:58 PM »

Beautiful! The spacing of laughing makes it look like emphasis.

(and The Phantom Tollbooth holds up to adult reading, it's fab!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evaberry
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013 03:41:04 AM »

Well done! I agree with the previous commenters re. the spacing of laughing and emphasis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftica
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013 05:43:48 AM »

Great job, I love to use letters in my craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

enakitty
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013 06:38:43 AM »

Way cool!  I just got the book "Calligraphy School" and am about to start learning.  Glad to hear you enjoy it so much.  I hope I do too.  Glad to know the Gothic alphabet is the easiest to start with.  Thanks for sharing your work!   Smiley   (By the way....I vote we keep the heart smilies year round!)      Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rebecnik
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013 04:17:27 PM »

Thank you SO much everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rebecnik
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013 04:37:02 PM »

Glad to know the Gothic alphabet is the easiest to start with.

Yup, Gothic alphabets have nice, simple lines that are just great for beginners. It also helps when learning spacing, which can be a challenge for me. I got most of my trial alphabets from here (as well as quite a bit of good information):

http://www.learncalligraphy.co.uk/index.html

All of these alphabets are pretty good for beginners. The ones to avoid at first are those that involve manipulating the pen in other-than-normal ways.

The first one on this page, "Roman Rustic Capitals," is how I learned this fact:

http://www.calligraphy-skills.com/roman-writing.html

It looks so easy! It is not...you have to twist the pen while maintaining the left edge along a constant vertical while keeping that right edge nice and smooth-looking.

Here's another example:

http://calligraphy-alphabet.blogspot.com/2012/12/fancy-calligraphy-alphabet.html

These alphabets are so pretty and fun-looking, but they're tough to learn with (possible easier with a marker; I use an actual pen with a metal nib). These two previous alphabets would both require you to twist the pen. Gothic alphabets employ the "correct" method of swinging the arm from the shoulder to make each stroke, holding the pen at a constant angle. Getting into the really cool stuff often involves violating that by requiring you to pivot your wrist/arm. Does that all make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Grown-Up Jellied Desserts
Hummingbird Cake Recipe
How to Make a Bunny Cake
How to Make Bunny Face Cupcakes
Rum Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...