A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wisdom Tooth Necklace: Glitter-Style  (Read 2558 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2013  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missannapants
« on: February 14, 2013 12:42:21 PM »

I recently had to endure the agony of a rogue wisdom tooth coming in to my mouth. I had the other three removed nine years ago, but the fourth just now decided to make an appearance. Not fun and quite painful. Anyway, after I had it removed, they sent the tooth home with me. Which gave me an idea: turn that evil tooth into something cool!

I got the idea for a necklace. I knew I wanted to make it glittery--I've been really into glitter lately.

Before glitter:

After glitter:

I coated the tooth in Mod Podge and then dipped it in glitter. After it was dry, I sealed it with another coat of Mod Podge.

At this point, I wasn't sure of how to turn it into jewelery. I tried wrapping wire around it, but it looked tacky. I decided to try resin; I had been wanting to try it out for awhile, anyway. I bought a resin starter kit and followed the directions. Pretty simple, just takes a lot of patience waiting it out while it dries!

The starter kit I bought came with a small drill, which I used to make a small hole to put jewelery hardware through. I added some cord, and done!

I'm very pleased with the result. It's so strange that that thing was still in my mouth about a month ago Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spiderlady
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013 01:42:47 PM »

I love it!  Talk about recycling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am an apologist for the spiders.

Just treat me no differently than you would the Tarantula Queen.
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013 04:42:53 PM »

You're lucky they gave it back to you.  I've had to have several teeth pulled and they refuse to give them back. After what I paid in dental fees, I figured those suckers should have been mine! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
missannapants
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013 04:51:16 PM »

You're lucky they gave it back to you.  I've had to have several teeth pulled and they refuse to give them back. After what I paid in dental fees, I figured those suckers should have been mine! Tongue

One of my friends was very surprised I got mine back as well. She said her dentist told her pulled teeth were considered "medical waste" and they legally weren't allowed out of the building. Which makes me wonder if the laws vary from state-to-state, or if my oral surgeon was just rebellious, haha. I'm fortunate to have gotten this one... in one piece, nonetheless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013 09:59:49 PM »

'medical waste' ? Has anyone told the tooth fairy about that one?  I reckon it is just a scam so the dentists can get all the tooth money from her.  Very pretty and a unique idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013 07:40:27 AM »

Three words: Fa, bu, lous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013 08:25:21 AM »

How cool.  Very unusual, and looks great too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013 03:35:26 PM »

That's seriously cool looking.  I think it's the most fascinating gold tooth I've ever seen!  Cheesy

I think my mom got rid of mine that were pulled when I was still on the pain pills and didn't notice. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Krafty_Karasu

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013 05:13:30 PM »

ever since I got the book Altered Curiosities where they show wisdom teeth being used in some projects, I'm wishing I had my wisdom teeth (well, 3 of them.  one never would have made it and should be considered medical waste).  while I'm not huge on gold, I do like this piece.  very unique and a great way to turn something evil into something pretty.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
missannapants
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013 09:58:43 AM »

ever since I got the book Altered Curiosities where they show wisdom teeth being used in some projects, I'm wishing I had my wisdom teeth (well, 3 of them.  one never would have made it and should be considered medical waste).  while I'm not huge on gold, I do like this piece.  very unique and a great way to turn something evil into something pretty.  Smiley

Altered Curiosities
looks fantastic. I'm putting it on my Books to Buy list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
March of The Crab Cakes
Stuffed Flank Steak
Holiday Rolls
How to Make Herb Gravy
Butterflied Turkey Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...