A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Meet Our New Featured Member UnRuli!  (Read 2078 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 14, 2013 12:37:36 PM »

We're pleased to announce the current More Art Less Craft featured member for the first quarter of 2013 UnRuli!!

UnRuli has posted some amazing projects on Craftster, here are a few of our favourites!

Persephone

Painting gone to the dogs

A Dialogue of Sentimental Dimensions (The Cake Lady)

Flea Market Watercolour

Bio
It has been so long since I stumbled upon Craftster that I can't remember what brought me here, but I'm so glad I found it.  SO MUCH INSPIRATION!  I don't always have the opportunity to post, but I look whenever I have a few moments.  I especially love checking out the Hot New Projects and the Featured Projects sections so I always go there first to see what other people are talking about.  Other than More Art, Less Crafts I always check out the Knitting (despite my absence of knitting abilities I still love to look), Needlework, Clothing and Home Sweet Home sections. 

I'm stubborn, bullheaded, certainly an "A-type" personality and I have a bit more than a touch of OCD.....all things that both help and hinder me in my art-making.  Of course if you tell me I can't do something I will do it just to prove you wrong and in some ways that's the only thing that got me to where I am now.

I come from a family that was against attending college so it's my stubbornness that got me there.  I wanted to pursue art, but thinking that I needed to be "practical" I instead studied Engineering Graphics.  I wound up working in a few different areas of Engineering but spent most of my time in Automotive Design (not the flashy, fun make-it-pretty sense but rather the mundane make-it-work mechanical stuff).  I liked my work, but the work environment was terrible so after 15 years of working in the engineering field, I left it permanently.   I worked for a while as a Vet Tech (next to art, animals are my second love) and I still occasionally help out when needed.  After a few years at the vet clinic my husband offered me the opportunity to go back to school.  Fortunately, I have a wonderful husband who believes in me because otherwise I would have chosen to be "practical" again and probably wouldn't have attended art school.  He claims there, "would have been an intervention" if I hadn't pursued my love of art.  He knew what I REALLY wanted to do and I owe this all to him.

The oldest of 8, I decided after helping to raise my siblings that I never wanted to have kids of my own.  So, although I have 23 nieces and nephews, I've never had kids....only animals.  I used to raise Nubian dairy goats, but I sold the herd so I could go back to school.  Now, I show my Australian Cattle Dogs when I have the time.  I have a pony that I drive and a young pony-mule that is just now old enough to start his training.  We also have two Bengal cats and a temporary foster cat that keep us hopping. We currently live in a small house on 5 acres, but hope to soon build on the 30 acres we recently (and unexpectedly) purchased.

Have you always been creative?  How long have you been painting?
I've always been creative.  I loved to draw and craft, but never thought I was especially talented.  I'd taken only one art class in High School, but I had very little instruction so I drew only what I knew.....mostly animals.  I was told that drawing people and painting were, "hard" and so I avoided it....I just didn't think I was good enough to do it well.  So, until I began art school in 2007 (at the age of 37) I'd never drawn a person and had never painted.  I was also terrified that I'd fail all my art courses because of a lack of talent and that is where my stubbornness kicked in.....I was going to MAKE it work!  As soon as I learned to draw what I was seeing and not what I THOUGHT I saw then drawing the human figure made sense and as soon as I realized that painting was just shapes and colors that began to make sense.  Now my favorite thing to do is to paint people!  I still look at each and every piece after I'm done and think, "did I really just do that?"

Tell us about your formal training
I was so fortunate in that I was able to attend Kendall College of Art & Design.  I desperately wanted to go there right out of high school, but I just couldn't afford it.  I was graduated from KCAD in 2011 with a BFA in Illustration and a minor in Painting and began teaching in Kendall's Illustration Department the following semester.  I'm currently teaching while in the process of earning my graduate from the Hartford Art School Low Residency Illustration MFA program.  It's surprising how few hours there are in a day!

What mediums do you create with and which is your favourite?
One reason I chose to do illustration was that I knew I'd have to learn multiple mediums.  I regularly do work in oils and watercolor, but I also sculpt and use other materials (ink, marker, charcoal, digital, graphite, gouache).  I also LOVE to do batik, but I don't have access to facilities where I can do it right now.  Of all of these my favorite is oils and sculpture.  I love the results of my watercolors, but watercolor is such a frustrating material that it "makes me want to throw things".  I'm still pretty new to watercolor so I stick with it just because I know I should and as I do more I'm beginning to have more respect for it. 

Where do you find your inspiration?
Oh my, so many things but I think more than anything else I love how light hits objects.  I carry a camera with me EVERYWHERE so that when I come across something interesting I can just take a photo and I take a LOT of photos!   I also love looking at the work of other artists and illustrators wherever I can. 

Any tips for aspiring art school students?
One thing I always tell my students is to take it their schooling seriously.  Art school when done right is FAR more difficult and time consuming than most other types of schooling.  Heck, engineering school was much, MUCH easier!  Don't just complete your homework assignment.....it may not take as long if you do it that way, but it's really a waste of your time.  Instead, complete your assignment to the very best of your ability so that you can actually DO something with it when you're done.  The very first work I ever got in to a juried art show was a colored pencil self-portrait I completed during my second semester of art school.  That piece not only got me a good grade, but it also added something to my resume and THAT is more important than any grade!   

What boards on Craftster can we find other projects of yours?
Most of the projects I've posted to Craftster have been in the More Art Less Craft section, but I have also posted two of my batiks to the Fiber Arts: Dying board.  These are both batiks I completed when I had the opportunity to take a batik class in Florence, Italy.  When I got home I quilted them and added some beads and buttons.  I can hardly wait to have the facilities to do more of these!:
Pink Lamps of Venice
Craftster Best of 2011

Sheeeeps Innnnn Spaaaaaace!
Craftster Best of 2010

My sculptures have been posted mostly to the Miscellaneous Topics board.  My sculptures are usually Super Sculpey with miscellaneous found-objects added in.  I love the craftiness of it and am always excited to start a new one.  Sculpting was another skill I didn't realize I had until I went back to school!:
Drowning in Debt

3D Clock

Welcome to My Nightmare

Dictator in a Box

Of everything you have posted, what is your own favourite piece?
That's tough, but I do think that my favorite would be my

"Repose of an Established Habit" clown (also a Best of Craftster 2011 Smiley).
This one came out exactly like I envisioned and it's the only piece of mine I have displayed in my house.  This is one of two clown paintings I've done (I just realized I never posted the other one) and I had so much fun with them that I really would like to do more of them when I finally have a bit of time.:

What are your favourite projects posted by another Craftster member?
Two projects come immediately to mind.

This mural by Destined to Fail was the first project to stop me in my tracks.  I've gone back to look at the mural many times because I love the color and whimsy of it.  I'd LOVE to put a mural in my home some day and I hope that it turns out to be as cool as this one!

The other one is Chatter's Steampunk Crow
He's just so adorable!  I love the shape of him.....he just has so much personality!

Thank you for sharing with us UnRuli!  We look forward to seeing more of your fabulous work on Craftster Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013 12:37:51 PM »

We encourage you to take a look through UnRuli's wonderful body of work posted on Craftster!

"Denouement at Dusk"  "Destination Delayed"

Fourty two cowboy hats

oil portrait

Greek Fishing Boats

emotions - watercolour and ink

Goggle Girl

There's no more pie!

oil portraits

Origins - graphite

YWCA Grand Rapids painting

Poisoning Pigeons in the Park

Prismacolour Pony

Milking the goats - charcoal

self portrait - prismacolour

Child with Puppy
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013 12:38:51 PM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013 12:46:23 PM »

Ah-mazing! She just absolutely blows me away. Perfect choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013 12:52:07 PM »

We loved looking through UnRuli's body of work here on Craftster, it sure was hard to pick only a couple of favourites! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013 01:08:21 PM »

Such a talented artist and I am a huge fan of her creations. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013 01:15:25 PM »

She's a Craftster Crush of mine for sure! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013 02:51:59 PM »

Wow! I am totally blown away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013 06:30:13 AM »

Congrats, UnRuli! Your work is so amazing. I love it all, especially "The Cake Lady", and "Reposed of an Established Habit".

It's so great that you followed your dream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
cherie_chemani
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013 02:33:25 AM »

They are so vivid, it's unbelievable!

Everything was dimensionally perceptible to realistic eyes though the vividness is so much like a pop artistry that I've dreamed of observing. Those colors and lines are so poetic in saying the true morality of the painting.

In short, I wish I could paint like her. *cries*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sell Scrapbooks Online
How to Select the Right Album for a Scrapbook
How to Remove Rubber Cement from Scrapbook Photos
How to Insert Refill Scrapbook Pages
How to Cut Scrapbook Photos
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...