A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Do You Keep a Super-Long Bead Thread From Getting Tangled?  (Read 562 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2013 10:51:30 AM »

I'm making those wrap bracelets and am having a very hard time keeping the thread from getting tangled....and yes, I wax it before I use it. What can I do? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013 01:07:56 AM »

What type of thread are you using?  Some types tangle more easily than others.  Regular Nymo used to make me SOOOO mad with some horrendous knots no matter how much wax or thread heaven I slid on.  I've had better luck with Silamide behaving like it should.

Basically I take up a lot of space, and stop every couple of beads to hang the needle letting it untangle.  As I stitch the beads, I try to take arm lengths of the thread and lay it fairly flat next to me.  I'll also try to run my finger between the extra "tail" beyond the needle eye and the line between the project and needle to help keep things separated.  Every few bead stitches, I will hold the thread near my project and let the needle dangle so it will spin and "unwind" to help keep the tangles clear.

Is your needle bent?  For some reason I twist my needles more as they develop what I call the project curve.  Wink  Maybe a new needle will help? 

You are on the right track by keeping your thread well waxed.  Maybe try some extra wax here and there in the middle of the project?  Same deal as prepping the thread- slide it through, then use your fingers to clear off the excess along the line.     

Finally, sometimes I just have to use a shorter thread and deal with weaving in multiple tails throughout the piece.  It seems like such a pain, but if you think of all of the time spent untangling the super long thread, it can be better in the long run.  Needy darn projects!  Wink

Hopefully something will help you out.  I can't wait to see how it looks when you finish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013 01:16:35 PM »

Thank you, Listessa!!!!! I know, I was thinking I shoud just use a shorter thread as well, instead of continuing to try with the long thread (I use Nymo).

I'm making the wrap bracelet and when I don't use a thread that's long enough to sew beads on the whole bracelet at once, the beads at the part where I started the new thread don't stay on and tend to come off.

I was doubling over the Nymo and thought that was why it always got tangled so I started using a single strand but it *still* gets tangled! But you've given some good ideas! Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013 01:17:23 PM by Hippie9 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grill Fails Mashup
How to Cook Perfect Burgers
Heavenly Hush Puppies Recipe
Homemade Grilled Pizza
How to Cook a Fire Island Inspired Meal
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...