A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help me figure out this knitting pattern!  (Read 516 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shoegazer
« on: July 04, 2005 01:26:30 PM »

I have started early on my xmas presents this year. Right now I am working on a christmas stocking that is knitted flat, not in the round. Im to the part where Im starting on the heel and this is what the pattern says:

Divide for heel: From (RS), Slip first 13 sts onto holder for right half of heel. Slip next 27 sts onto 2nd holder for instep. Slip remaining stiches to free needle for the left half of heel.
Left half of Heel: From WS join  secondary color if desired. Row 1 P, Row 2 Sl 1, k12 Repeat 8 times. Work short rows to turn heel as follows: p2, p2 tog, p1, turn ......theres a little more to the heel pattern from there.

But there are 2 places that I sort of got stuck. The first thing that was weird was that when I was transfering my stiches to the stich holder it told me to do so from the R side (my knit side) so to transfer my stiches to a needle for the left half of the heel the needle was pointing the wrong way. I had to take all those stiches off the needle and put the needle in backwards so Id be ready to purl the next row. I thought that was strange. So I got through rows 1 and 2 and then got stumped at the "work short rows part" My stiches arent decreasing..... and according to the pattern at the end of my 16 rows I should have, what 5 stiches, in order to do the p2, p2T, p1 turn?
I dont get it. Whats going on, and what have I done wrong if anything? If I need to post a pict of my work, or the picture of the stocking from the book let me know. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005 03:02:44 PM »

When turning a heel, I was always advised to follow the directions EXACTLY.   What you are doing is short rows and decreasing at the same time.  What no one explained to me before I figured it out on my own, is that essentially you are working from the inside out.  Meaning that you are working the stitches in the center of the heel instead of from the sides in.  So the p2, p2together, p1 turn happens in what will be the back of your foot. Hopefully that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
shoegazer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005 08:47:42 PM »

No, Im still confused. I dont understand where the decrease happens. How do I go from 13 stiches to 5 all of a sudden?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005 06:22:45 AM »

You repeat until you get down to 5 stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fresh Chicken Stock
How To Make Chicken Fingers
How to Make Bacon - Part 3
How to Make Chocolate Epiphany with Chef Francois Payard
How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...