I'm not sure it's relevant to warn with "pic heavy" anymore like it was when I joined back in 2004 or something, but instinct says...
Long story short: Needed keyhanger. Made keyhanger.
Short story long:
Had a bit of wood left over from another project, which I painted white and then decoupaged with russian newspaper and helpful cats >_>
Looking all bubbly and newspapered and a bit off
Thin, uneven coat of white, just to make things flow together better
Now this is where I got in the zone and forgot to take pictures, but essentially I outlined the butterfly in pale blue, and when I was happy with the outline, I filled that in with black (just the lines mind you). When that was done, I started filling in the background. Sloppy as ever, but with a handful of different colors and being pale enough, it will blend into the background well enough. I used the same pale blue, pale green, pale gray, white, and slightly darker blue. It just needed some background noise to not look quite as glued on.
Then I filled in the butterfly with slightly darker blue, and started filling in the black bits. First the thicker outline, then the lines across the wings.
Finished butterfly includes white dots and a dark blue wash around the outer bits of the blue, for just ever so slightly more depth. (the top right wing got all washed over...)
Overview before the lacquer
Lacquered with polyurethane to withstand the scraping of the keys, and screws added (I drilled holes with my dremel first, because.. it's very thin wood!)
The hanging is on the sides, because at first I wanted it up top, but realized this is probably going to be very side-heavy as soon as you take one of the keys off, and it's a VERY thin piece, so "ears" it is