A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone got any tips for working with felt to make faces and details on fake fur?  (Read 552 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Trinitario
« on: February 14, 2013 01:14:03 AM »

Got my wool blend felt and my fur but I really struggle to get it the way I want it, when pinning it the felt bulges and it is hard to see if its even on straight, I tried sewing on a bigger piece for the first time the other day (a face on a plushie) and the big face piece got bulgy round the edges on one side :/

I do a lot of teeth rows and considered getting stiff felt for it but seems to be hard to find, and with very little time for my hobby I dont want to try to make it. Anyone know where to get some online? Blick had it but the white is not white acc to a reviewer which makes it useless for me.

Also welcoming recommendation for online store that sells good quality felt, thinking perhaps there are thicker, more stable types that would be easier to work with.

Or perhaps I just need practice, but Ive seen examples of people who make perfect details with felt and it just seems like a bit of a gamble everytime I do it so was hoping I could find some sort of trick of tips that would make it simpler..

Appreciate any tips you can give me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MayhapMurklins
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013 03:27:55 PM »

Well, I've found that with fake fur it can help to trim it a bit where you're putting the felt. Makes it less bulgy if you want it flatter. I always hand-stitch pretty much everything, and for felt details I usually do it once the base plush is already made and stuffed. I don't use many pins, but I try to have the piece laid out where I want it, hold it down, and pin as straight and as little as I can and towards the middle to avoid bulging etc. I hope I'm making sense, and I hope this can help at least a bit. I am usually using super cheap craft felt though, which might be a bit different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Serge Normant Shows You How to Look Like Sofia Vergara
How to Do a Messy Mermaid Braid
Get Simple Beachy Summer Waves
Best Hair Care Products For Ethnic Hair
Beachy Waves for Short Hair Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...