A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,539
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Never made soap, have an idea, don't know if it's even possible! Please help!  (Read 940 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 13, 2013 10:05:49 AM »

Hi, I've looked at some of the links in the beginners post and through the questions here and I haven't found an answer, but that might be because I know nothing of soap making and don't know the right question(s).

I want to make a manly-scented melt and pour soap that is layered.  I have seen many of these so I assume layers can be accomplished.  Here's the hitch, what I want to use is this faux bois texture to "mold" each layer so that as the soap is used it will maintain a wood grain appearance.  I imagine alternating layers of a light tan opaque and a dark brown translucent soap and hopefully the layers can be about 1/8" - 1/4" thick. 

Can I use a metal or pyrex baking dish as a mold?  Then pour in soap and lay this mat on top?  Peel it off when the soap has cured (or come to some level of hardness) then repeat for several layers?  Then cut it into bars?

These would be like party favors for The ManFlesh's core group of dudes who will be visiting us for the first time in our new home in semi-rural Montana to celebrate The ManFlesh's 40th birthday and 2 of the core dude's 42nd birthdays. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013 10:56:11 AM »

Hmm that's an interesting idea! So I imagine you're going to use melt and pour soap? What is the faux wood made out of? The problems I see are getting the soap off of the mold, and getting the layers to adhere to each other, and the heat from the new layer melting the previous texture.

Usually when doing layers you let the previous layer cool and harden either partially or completely, then you need to spray with rubbing alcohol to help with cohesion, and then add the next layer of hot soap. I think maybe if you poured it when it wasn't too terribly warm it wouldn't melt the previous layer, but it still seems like during use the texture would become obscured regardless.

Metal or glass should be fine, remember to spray it with some oil if doing melt and pour so it will release easily. If you are talking about making soap from scratch (hp or cp) I just don't see this working. With hp the texture is quite chunky and coarse, so the wood grain wouldn't come across very well, and with cp it's very difficult for even very experienced soap makers to pour layers at the exact right time, and the heat during the initial cure process and the gelling of the soap would melt the design I think. Also, you need to work fast as it's setting up so not sure how the layers and molding would work. And, if using cp remember not to use aluminum as a mold or tool since it cannot touch the raw soap.

It's a fun idea and you might want to experiment, but I just can't tell you for sure if it will work. Please let us know how it goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013 12:03:09 PM »

Thanks!  I was definitely thinking melt and pour as it seems easier for beginners. 

I don't know the viscosity or surface tension of soap when liquid, so I wonder if the texture will float on there enough to stay on top but not so much as to not impress the design.  I believe the texture mat is rubber.  It's hard to know for sure as I borrowed it from a friend and the info on the back leads to a Chinese website.  It's in English, but not always the best English.  A similar mat on there says it's rubber and designed to texture clay.

When you say spray with oil, is that regular cooking spray or something else?  Should I also spray the texture thing with oil each time I use it?  My goal is to texture each layer so that, in theory, as the soap is used the pattern will be revealed as the high spots expose before the low spots in the 2 colors.  So it will be more about color than texture.

Also, I thought I might use one of those single-use aluminum baking trays as a mold so I might be able to peel it away if there is some trouble with sticking.  Maybe oil one of those?  I'm expecting to cut off the mould-side edges anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013 01:20:05 PM »

Just a very light layer of cooking spray should be fine. Or you might try it without first and see how easy it is to peel off? The oil actually could interfere with the adhesion process now that I think about it. I would also test how easy it is to peel off of the wood mold, and use cooking spray if needed there too. The baking tray might work, or if you happen to have some kind of silicone bakeware that might be appropriate?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013 02:20:05 PM »

Ooo.  I'll look into silicone baking supplies (all I have is ice molds, liners and muffin stuff).  Will silicone work it's releasing magic on soap, you think?

Thanks for all your help! I will start investigating supplies locally and the links here and see what I can do for a test. 

One more question: if the test works, I'll want to just go ahead and use those.  Will the sent, etc. hold up from say, March to mid or late May?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013 02:21:49 PM »

I think it should release really easily without spray from the silicone, I have a few silicone molds and they are great. Yes, the scent should last, you can wrap them in plastic wrap and then hit it with a hot blast from a heat gun or hair dryer to approximate shrink wrap. Keeping them wrapped up will keep the moisture and scent in the soap better (CP would be the opposite, it needs to breathe!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013 03:11:16 PM »

THANKS SO MUCH!  If this works, you can be sure I will post.  My first in the Bath & Beauty category!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013 03:50:06 PM »

Woohoo! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Flash Buttons - Flash CS3
How to Create an Animation - Photoshop CS3
How to Design a Haunted House Part 2/3
Clone Yourself in Sony Vegas
How To Make A Light Saber Effect In Sony Vegas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...