A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,345
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with...  (Read 1047 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

im_linni
« on: February 13, 2013 08:14:40 AM »

Hi craftsters...

I'm looking for some definitely crafty help figuring out what to do with these cute little owls.  They're terra-cotta, and were supposed to be plant feeders.  Unfortunately, the glaze that was used on them keeps them from being used as plant feeders, they're (mostly) water tight.  They're approximately 6" tall and 2.5" diameter, with holes in the top around 1".   

Thoughts on what they could be used for/what one could do with them? 

ie: vases (although some of them aren't 100% water tight), add a candle for cute walkway luminaries...it's that pointy base that throws me off!   

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyangler
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013 12:28:57 PM »

Sink them into the soil near a garden and use them to keep the hose from sliding through your flowers.  Attach a metal tent stake to them first if you want to keep the tail up off the ground.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013 06:12:06 PM »

epoxy them onto something--a vase, maybe--and use as candleholders.
Or maybe around the rim of a plant pot.  Honor their original intention, even if it doesn't work!

Actually, you might be able to sand off the glaze on the pointy parts so they can water plants after all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013 04:50:01 PM »

I like the pathway lights idea. I would spray paint each one a different bright colour and epoxy an empty baby food jar on top. Spray paint the baby food jar lid the same colour. Put an LED tea light into the jars.

If you don't like the bright colours, then spray paint them a dark colour like black and then rub a jade colour over it to bring out the details.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Creative Dragonfly

"Now I don't want a flea's breath of doubt."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013 02:55:44 AM »

After brainstorming for a bit here's what I've got for ya. Smiley You could try to turn them into [fridge, locker, file cabinet] magnets or fill the holes and attach a hook to the top for an ornament. Another thought to roll around would be to try to adhere thin cork board sheet to the pointy bottom tail part to create a bottle stopper (I would try to use it for my bath powder/salt bottles). If you're still interesting in using them in the garden, fill the hole to hold a label to use as a plant marker. I'm not sure if these could work as golf tees but I think that'd be pretty cool to do. Also I'm unsure how deep the hole is but you can try to make holders out of these (for a set of crochet hooks for example). I'm not sure what it's called exactly but you can always color them and glue them to a branch to create a sort of centerpiece or like go for the decorated shadow box effect.

Hope this helped or at least got your thinking juices flowing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm back and would love to make some new crafting friends!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Closet Essentials Every Woman Needs
4 Hot Summer Concert Outfits
4 Foolproof Ways to Jump on the Leather Shorts Trend
The Best Swimsuit For Your Body Type
You Can Do What With Double-Sided Tape?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...