A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,779
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3 More Valentine Kitty Cat Yarn Dolls!  (Read 1506 times)
Tags for this thread: yarn_doll , cowgirl , baker , 1970s  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 12, 2013 05:49:35 PM »

I was in a Valentine swap with some friends.  They're all pet lovers so I made these kitty cat yarn dolls for them.

The first one is for a genuine cat-lady in training  Cheesy who loves the 1970s, the color orange.

The whole time I was figuring out her outfit I was thinking of Carol Brady.  The button fastening her vest is a bead and the flower "brooch" on her lapel is a couple of beads, too.

Here's her long tail and cute backside:

The second one is for a lady who knows how to throw a party and make everything from the invitations to the desserts.

She wears an apron with a heart shaped bib and carries what must be a 3-layer cake!  There's big pink bow tying her apron in the back.

Pre-made pompon muzzles and noses, felt mouths, sewn-on sequin and bead eyes, felt and wire ears.

The third kitty is for a lady who loves her some western wear and some pink!

She's the Sheriff of Love with a tin heart instead of a tin star, tooled "leather" vest, denim & lace circle skirt, and a big ol' belt buckle.

Here's the only thing: I thought it would be easy to find a small cowgirl hat for her.  It was not.  So I found a tutorial online for making miniature western hats, found some white wool blend felt in town and made it by making a form from a wine cork!

I had a lot of fun figuring out what do to for each friend and spending hours in the craft room/office giggling and making them.  I hope they like them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013 09:43:13 PM »

These are so so cute.    I made yarn dolls when I was  a kid of course but these are so advanced.  How do you fasten on the ears? And do you use wire in the tail?  I have a dear cat lady friend that I would love to make one for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013 09:03:39 AM »

I made them as a kid with my grandma!  I used this bunny that her mother, my great grandmother made, as a reference.  It was definitely more advanced than those I made as a kid.

There is styrofoam of some kind inside the head which was something I definitely didn't learn as s kid.  So, these cats have tiny stryo balls in the head and the ears are attached by sticking the wire that's between the layers of felt into the styrofoam and then using a dot of felt glue at the base to glue the felt to the yarn.  The tail is wire wrapped with two layers of yarn and then tied to the yarn that makes the waist with the wire ends and a dot of glue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013 09:06:43 AM »

Oh!  One thing that sets these apart from most of  the instructions I saw online is that the arms are a separate thing rather than a section of yarn from the original.  That was the way I learned and I only saw one online tutorial that showed them done this way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013 12:07:53 PM »

thanks for all the info.  When I made them as a child we did make a separate piece for the arms. I seem to remember we wound the yarn round a cigarette box one way for the head/body/legs and the other way for the arms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013 02:24:17 PM »

You bet!  I'd love to see what you come up with.  I'm working on mini versions of my dogs, but having a REALLY hard time finding 5mm bronze or brown sequins for my Beastie Grrrlz brown eyes.   Undecided

That's so funny about the cigarette box! We used the cardboard from a Wright's brand trim package and I think we did the same for both the body and the arms.  I used the same for the arms on these and the the cardboard from a different trim that I had saved for the body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013 02:25:08 PM »

I love my little cowgirl! I took her up to my craft room to keep her away from the pups. She is so super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013 03:09:21 PM »

Whew!  And YEY!  And during this process I did lose some yarn to dog slobber. I'm lookin' at you, BETTY. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Christmas Cards Wreath
How to Make Home Made Bath Salts
How to Knit an iPod Cover
How to Make a Tissue Paper Shamrock
Color Coordinate Your Stamp Projects
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...