A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beaded Triangle Boxes  (Read 3281 times)
Tags for this thread: beaded , box , craftster_best_of_2013  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 07, 2013 01:21:43 AM »

I had a couple of fairly involved projects lately.  My Mom's birthday was February 4th, and my work partner, Betty, had her birthday on the 6th.  Both of them love purple, so I ended up stitching two (slightly) different triangle boxes. 

I made one for my Mom first, since I had to mail it out in advance.  Unfortunately she decided to change her plans, so even though it arrived on her birthday, she wasn't home.  It looks like she will get home in the morning (the 7th) so I'll get her reaction soon.

The feet and lid pull are amethyst cut with little facets.  It is peyote stitched size 11 delica beads.  The pictures came out fairly well color-wise. 

Lid Top.

Inside, plus soda tab for size.

Open Box!

Yes, my apartment is small and I have a ton of stuff on my shelf. 

I showed Betty my Mom's box before mailing it and she adored it.  What she didn't know was that I had already started one for her!  Wink  She was thrilled to bits when she opened it!  The lid wasn't quite done, so I only wrapped the body of the box and let her open it on her birthday.  She laughed when I explained I needed to steal it back to do the last 6 rows on the lid, but didn't mind.  I finished the lid tonight and rewrapped the whole thing!

Betty's box has slightly different colored beads, these pictures came out kind of crappy.  I'm not really sure why.  I think my boyfriend used up the camera batteries taking pictures of the bunny.
Her box includes darker purples, one is translucent and the other metallic.  The gold is darker than the gold I used on my Mom's, and the light bead is a gold lined. 

I tweaked the picture a little, and the true color is sort of between this one and the prior photo.

Picture failure, but the pattern is really cool.  Pretend it isn't blurry anymore.

Slightly different pattern on the inside hem of the lid than what I did on my Mom's.

Betty's box taught me some lessons.  I need some of that fray resistant line when using the translucent beads.  The brighter purple thrashed my Silamide, so I had to keep restarting threads (UGH!) and going back if the beads started gapping from a broken line in the middle of the pattern- ie more starts and stops (ARGH!!!).

Not bad for my first couple of boxes.  Until now I stuck to regular cylindrical peyote pouches and pen sleeves.  If only I could find time to make something to keep!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013 01:23:57 AM by Listessa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Krafty_Karasu

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013 03:01:13 AM »

I think we need to have a smiley who drops his jaw and an envious smiley.  lol.  those are AWESOME and I am so jealous of your talent.  I'm no where near this stage of beading yet.  great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
PurpleHeather
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013 04:40:35 AM »

Beautiful boxes, very well made and I'm glad they got the reaction they deserved from Betty - I'm sure your Mum will love them too.

And I can totally empathise with the wish to make things to keep!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calixita

thought I heard a saxophone; I'm drunk on the moon

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013 05:45:18 AM »

So impressed!!!  This rocks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013 06:56:03 AM »

Stunning. I had no idea it was possible to make boxes just with beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013 07:27:08 AM »

These are really beautiful!  I can empathize with fraying thread (from making fringe), that's aggravating, but it was well worth it!  Both finished products are gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
RaraAvis

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013 02:40:28 PM »

Just beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013 04:20:50 PM »

Beautiful!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013 06:49:22 PM »

I love the colours you chose - beaded boxes have been on my to do list for a long time, and seeing yours is so inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013 08:46:41 PM »

Thank you all so much!  When the thread doesn't fight every step of the way, they don't even take as long as I thought they would.

Update too:
Mom called me at lunch to rave over how much she loved her gift!  She got a couple of beaded snowflakes too, and was super thrilled.  Smiley  She really thought it was made with really thin wire, so I got to tell her all about it.  I'm SO glad she loved it. 

I think I may have set the bar awfully high...  I need to think about something cool for Mother's Day now.  I'm so thrilled that she liked it!

I think we need to have a smiley who drops his jaw and an envious smiley.  lol.  those are AWESOME and I am so jealous of your talent.  I'm no where near this stage of beading yet.  great job!
I bet you could give it a shot!  Smiley  These little triangles are a lot more simple technique-wise than they look.  If you are comfortable doing even count peyote, particularly the cylinder style (one continuous loop, like making those amulet pouch type necklaces) it most likely will work out.  The worst thing that can happen is having to cut the thread out and start over.  Nothing wrong with that, and beading thread isn't too expensive.  Wink

The worst part was stopping and starting the threads by weaving them through.  I really wrecked a needle after just one box thanks to the stops and starts in the box sides.  I made it through the second box with it, and now it looks more like messed up spare jewelry wire than anything needle-like.

These are really beautiful!  I can empathize with fraying thread (from making fringe), that's aggravating, but it was well worth it!  Both finished products are gorgeous!
Oh, fringe- I have a love/hate relationship with fringes.  Wink  They are awesome, but I've nearly cried when the thread frayed and broke in the middle of a kind of complicated pattern.

Next time I will be smart enough to use some of that fireline or something else fray resistant.  My only regret is that I wasn't able to get a picture of both together.  They were really amazing to create.

I love the colours you chose - beaded boxes have been on my to do list for a long time, and seeing yours is so inspiring!
Thanks!  Both my Mom and Betty really love purple.  The gold beads complemented the purple just perfectly, and was sort of since I live up in the "Golden Heart City."  I had a lot of fun finding the right shades of each one.  I forgot how different the beads look on the string vs in the baggies when you buy them.

I bought the book "Little Beaded Boxes" by Julia S. Pretl about 4-ish years back.  They have been one of my, "I'll get around to it" projects for quite sometime.  The truth is, I kind of psyched myself out about them for a while.  This was one of the easier patterns, but I think I'm actually ready to try one of the more difficult ones with increases and decreases in the sides next.  That might be a cool project for me to keep!  They are SO worth doing.  The finished product is just different enough to make you feel really accomplished!

Thank you all again for looking.  Smiley 
I think I might try making one for myself with size 15 delicas. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Integrate Research in Design
How to Design Global While Remaining Local in Design
Alberto Alessi on Luxury in Design
Learn About the Sapper Water Kettle
What Keeps David Small Up At Night
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...