A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Fashioned Book Lover's Swap GALLERY, send by Feb 26 2013  (Read 19327 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mthrasher138
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I ♥ personal swaps!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2013 08:16:46 AM »

The Alice nesting dolls are super cute (I want a set!), the origami crane bag is beautiful, and the paper art is very cool. Awesome job everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2013 08:57:40 AM »

Noodle_bug has received this package that I sent her, but has been unable to post pictures. 

I started to read Northanger Abbey a couple of years ago, but didn't get very far before I stopped...I found all the different characters a bit confusing.  When I saw it on her list I thought it would be a good time to give it another try, and when I found the book in graphic novel form I knew I had to get it too! I really enjoyed the graphic novel, because not only was it a condensed version of the book, but seeing the drawings of the different characters helped me keep track of everyone.

The crafted items are based on things on noodle_bug's Pinterest.  I bought a used book of Shakespeare for $1 and turned it into a sewing box, using balsa wood and scrapbook paper.  I've never done anything like this before (I'm usually a fabric kind of girl) and I am very happy with how it turned out! The outside of the cover is untouched, so if it was on a bookshelf it would still look like a book (and since she lives in London, the name "Shakespeare" on the spine is perfect!).

Below you can see the front and back of the bookmark.  It too was made from a $1 book that was in such bad shape I didn't mind cutting it up to use the spine for a bookmark.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
lindyv321

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2013 09:47:35 AM »

what a neat idea to turn a book into a sewing box and a bookmark!  Love that package.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2013 09:48:18 AM »

Cool package, leslie!! I've tried doing hollow books a couple times, and man oh man has it ever FAILED. haha A very cool send indeed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calixita

thought I heard a saxophone; I'm drunk on the moon

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2013 10:02:42 AM »

That Fahrenheit 451 artwork is amazing!  I wish I could get a better look at it.  You are quite an artist, Pcollins!
I also love the book-turned-sewing box!  What a fun swap this is!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

StickerChic87
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2013 11:10:53 AM »

That paper art is great and I love the robot bookmark!

Super jealous of that Northanger Abbey graphic novel! I actually just found out they existed when I was wish-listing the Lost in Austen that sarahelise sent...they also got added to my wishlist! Cheesy Love that sewing box (would love to hear more about how it was made)-great idea. Is there a close up of the needle book?? Id love to see it up close!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2013 02:12:05 PM »

That paper art is great and I love the robot bookmark!

Super jealous of that Northanger Abbey graphic novel! I actually just found out they existed when I was wish-listing the Lost in Austen that sarahelise sent...they also got added to my wishlist! Cheesy Love that sewing box (would love to hear more about how it was made)-great idea. Is there a close up of the needle book?? Id love to see it up close!

StickerChic, this is the best picture I have of the needlebook.  I wanted it to look like a real book, so I stamped the "title" on the spine and on the front.

The directions for the sewing box can be found online HERE.  I started out thinking I would make a book safe, in which you basically hollow out a book to make a storage space inside; but this is different in that you remove the pages entirely, and use only the cover of the book. It was actually rather easy to make: cover the inside of the book cover with scrapbook paper, then measure and cut balsa wood to form the box. It's held together with hot glue. The balsa wood cuts easily with a craft knift (X-acto).  Then just cover the outside of the balsa wood with scrapbooking paper, and paint the top edges with acrylic paint. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
Ninaprettyballerina

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2013 03:10:20 PM »

That sewing box is just AMAAAAAZING!  I want one!! Wink  And that little needle book is the cutest - what great ideas ~~!!
Making a bookmark out of the spine?? genius!  loving the packages!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StickerChic87
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2013 03:50:00 PM »

Very cool!!! Love the text on the side of the needlebook too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2013 04:30:20 PM »

Lesley, I am so sorry not to have posted pictures (I just came online to finally do it now I am reunited with a proper computer instead of a smart phone, but you beat me - and you're pictures are much superior to mine anyway!). I hope you don't think it's from a lack of appreciation becasue it certainly isn't! (Just so everyone knows and doesn't think I'm a complete flake, I had to take an unexpected trip to my parents just after receiving)
I love my parcel, it is all so beautiful. The illustrations in the graphic novel are really cool - there is something a bit 20s about them, all this sort of black outlining. And the crafting - well, it's just gorgeous! The book you used (shakespeare) is perfect for me since I work in theatre, and the fabric you choose for the pin cushion & needlebook set off the lining and wood really nicely, they add a lovely cozy finish! Thank you so much

oh, I meant to ask, did you make the little birdie & mushroom pins yourself too? they are so cute!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Clinton Global Initiative Empowers Young Filmmakers
How to Manage Non-Profit Client Expectations
How to Create Hard and Soft Shadows
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Green Lantern
10 Hottest Vampires and Werewolves of 2011
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...